2002 3rd brake light.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2002 3rd brake light. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all, I have a 2002 Escalade and the 3rd brake light isn't working. Also the switch to lock in ...
    coastie13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 escalade

2002 3rd brake light.

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Escalade and the 3rd brake light isn't working. Also the switch to lock in the back or the cig. lighter are not working. I checked the power to the 3rd brake light and didn't get any. The mech. said it wasn't the blubs and Cadillac said they wanted $600.00 to fix.

Can anyone help or lead me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Re: 2002 3rd brake light.

you need to post this in the right section. This is the 07-up section.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Moved to the proper section.

Welcome to the forum!! Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by coastie13
    Hi all,

I have a 2002 Escalade and the 3rd brake light isn't working. Also the switch to lock in the back or the cig. lighter are not working. I checked the power to the 3rd brake light and didn't get any. The mech. said it wasn't the blubs and Cadillac said they wanted $600.00 to fix.

Can anyone help or lead me in the right direction?

Thanks.
    There is a fuse labeled cigar in the under hood fuse box
    Along with one label chmsl
    Not sure on the lock switch

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

It can be confusing...The Cadillac dealership solution to the problem is to throw a new $600 lamp at it..

The third brake light is on a different fused circuit then the lower tail lights. So it is common to have working lower brake lights and 'no' third brake light.

The third brake light also shares the fuse with the trailer hitch. So if you ever pull a trailer or have recently used a trailer be sure to inspect the fuse.

2002s have a different dashboard then 2003s and later. And different fuses for the third brake light.

2002 models. Be sure to inspect fuse #16 in the underhood junction/ fuse block.

2003 and latter models. Be sure to inspect the 'VEH CHMSL' fuse in the drivers side dashboard fuse block.

The problem can certainly be in the lamp. But that does not sound like the case here.

If the problem is in the lamp, serviced lamps are available.

www.ledfix.com

coastie13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 escalade

I checked all the fuses and they are good. I did not see one that said trailer brake, just back-up and RH and LH Tail. My under hood box dosn't list the fuses by number so I could not check the #16 fuse.

If the 2002 is different, then I guess the owners manual on the sticky and the wire diagram will be differt also?

Logandiagnostic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 2005 Mustang GT, 2010 MINI S

2002...Fuse #16....underhood junction block. I attached a pic.

The lamp pigtails...can also get damaged. You need both 12v positive and ground at the lamp plug....with the brakes 'on' of course.

If fuse #16 is good, and you have 12v B+ and ground at the lamp plug. The problem is inside the lamp.

www.ledfix.com
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.