Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Why buy an Escalade?

8K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Silent_Assasin 
#1 ·
First off I could care less about the name or what people think. I drive what I like, because I chose it not because of what someone else thinks. We have never really had a "luxury" vehicle, although every vehicle we have ever owned we have boughten in its top trim level. (Always GM vehicles: Suburban, tahoe, grand prix, bonnevilles)

But I think its time for something different.

I was just wondering how different the escalade is compared to the other GM trucks. Right now we've got a 1999 Suburban SLT top model in 1999. Its been a very nice and reliable truck for us and I don't see getting rid of it anytime soon. Had very few problems with it in the 10 years we've had it.

But I would like a new vehicle for myself. I like the look of the escalades. And seem like they would be a step up from the suburban.

I'm looking at an 02-06 model year. Budget not decided yet but most of what I can afford is already at or beyond 100k miles. I know the 03+ has an upgraded interior and the newer ones have nav, but I see a lot of 02's in my budget with decent mileage.

Just curious what makes the escalade so much better, couldn't really find any good comparison.

I've seen people talk about air ride? Are these just air struts with an Electronic leveling pump, instead of gas-charged or is there more to it.

What more does the escalade have over a top model suburban or tahoe?

Also, any common problems?

Would you recommend the 5.3 2WD or the 6.0 AWD?

See less See more
#2 ·
test drive a yukon denali and an escalade that are as closely optioned as possible
make note of the differences on paper (what can be optioned in the denali to make it like an escalade, etc)

after your test drives you can then compare the things that don't show on paper
like how you liked the looks of the exterior and interior and the feel of the interior, the ride and handling, etc
then you can take the difference in cost between the two (which basically comes down to all the stuff on the escalade that you can't get in the denali)
compare the dollar amount difference to those things that you can't get the same
(interior and exterior design/styling, lights/lamps, and other things that aren't available)

then you can make a decision: is this stuff worth this extra money?

#3 ·
Had a mechanic friend tell me not to get the Escalade because of all the problems and electronic gizmos going wrong and the 6.0 getting bad gas mileage.

But to me it seems like its pretty much a more luxurious suburban/tahoe, so shouldn't be that difference maintenance wise. Aside from air ride and the AWD transfer case. (Not sure what else, I have yet to drive one).

I've got a 1999 Tahoe now, that I've put a lot of money and work into. Its got 216k but although the drivetrain is rock solid, its got a lot of little stupid problems and figured if I could upgrade to an escalade with less miles, I might just do it.

#4 ·
Northstar125 said:
Had a mechanic friend tell me not to get the Escalade because of all the problems and electronic gizmos going wrong and the 6.0 getting bad gas mileage.

But to me it seems like its pretty much a more luxurious suburban/tahoe, so shouldn't be that difference maintenance wise. Aside from air ride and the AWD transfer case. (Not sure what else, I have yet to drive one).

I've got a 1999 Tahoe now, that I've put a lot of money and work into. Its got 216k but although the drivetrain is rock solid, its got a lot of little stupid problems and figured if I could upgrade to an escalade with less miles, I might just do it.
Your mechanic apparently knows nothing about a escalade (not knocking him but its true) as they are built on the same lines as the Chevy and gmc counterparts the only differences are hid low beams(03-06) better ride and much better seats(certain years and trims have heated and cooled seats)
But the body panels and frame along with the power-train(except the 6.0 has 345 hp) are the same as the Chevy and gmc counterparts
The all wheel drive is great in the winter(no forgetting to engage it) and on long trips I average 15-16.7 mpg(that's great for a full size body on frame suv)

I will admit that have had to replace a few things(PCM, radio, and soon the rear air shocks and compressor) but it wouldn't keep me from getting one(ps the air shock system is also on the Chevy and gmc counterparts in the same years)

I suggest you test drive one and see for yourself

#5 ·
I owned a 2006 Sierra Z71 SLT crew cab and a 2004 Yukon Denali. I was in the market like you were. I looked at several 02 models and they were less expensive in most cases. I didn't want to get another Denali and I didn't want to go Lincoln or some other brand. I got an 04 Escalade Saturday and I'm happy with my purchase. I like the OEM HID light, easy double din fitment, and how the console looks....just to name a few things.

#6 ·
I have owned a Tahoe, Suburban, and now an Escalade. The 6.0 and AWD is the break over for me plus the smoothness. My Suburban was the 8.1 Big Block 4 x 4. It didn't perform nearly as well as the Escalade...amongst all of the others the Cadillac is smoother, quieter and more responsive. I am older than most of the guys on this Forum (60) and I enjoy my comforts. Yukon Denali = Escalade = Yukon Denali ...they are the same with different badging.

In summary...if I could get the Lq9 6.0 in any of the others it wouldn't matter but the Cadillac with the power is a game changer for me.

#12 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
also, wasn't Magneride an option that was available on the Escalades of this generation that wasn't available for it's siblings
In 04 it was

----------

bigirb2002 said:
^^^^^^ + people see you in a escalade they think ur a boss!!!!!!!!!!!!! i average 20mpg hwy and 18.4 city on 6.0. with a intake being my only engine mod. then i got a hypertech max power unit tune
So true I have had people switch lanes to get out my way when I go through town(some think I am the FBI)

#17 ·
However...the CiA, Secret Service and FBI do have some Escalade ESV models. They are available with the same GSA Prefered Equipment Group that the others are. That equipment group includes a few things that only the GM SUV's are available with which is why you very rarely see Ford or Chrysler products in that service.

#14 ·
In my opinion the Escalade handles much better than it's "lesser" counterparts as well. I have a few same generation Suburbans we use at work, and they feel very wonky and top heavy when turning corners. My Escalade had much less body roll and handles more like carlike than they do.

#15 ·
RippyPartsDept said:
why would anyone think you're the FBI

FBI never drives Cadillac ... Chevy or maybe GMC ... but almost never Cadillac
My uncle did(no he isn't a drug dealer) I guess it was because my truck is black and he had never seen it before
But you are right they drive gmc or Chevy(the pres has a caddy though that is built on a escalade frame(the beast is not a true car)

----------

YoshiMan said:
In my opinion the Escalade handles much better than it's "lesser" counterparts as well. I have a few same generation Suburbans we use at work, and they feel very wonky and top heavy when turning corners. My Escalade had much less body roll and handles more like carlike than they do.
Try driving a hummer h2 after driving your escalade(not bad but nowhere near as stable) the reason the caddy handles as great as it does is because of the suspension system

#21 ·
I really do want one and I feel some some of my fears have been calmed. As it seems for the most part they are very reliable.

Have seen many with lots of miles. Saw an '02 today for sale with 290k miles.

Hoping to find an 03-04 as will be ideal for the mileage and price that I want. Just have to keep my eyes open and wait for the right one.

#22 ·
Northstar125 said:
I really do want one and I feel some some of my fears have been calmed. As it seems for the most part they are very reliable.

Have seen many with lots of miles. Saw an '02 today for sale with 290k miles.

Hoping to find an 03-04 as will be ideal for the mileage and price that I want. Just have to keep my eyes open and wait for the right one.
Try using yahoo autos that's how I found mine never know

#24 ·
What are the differences in model years? It seems I can find a lot of 02's for a good price but the 03-04's have more miles and cost more.

Is the interior better quality? Or just different stitch pattern on seats? Anything else I should know? Navigation would be nice but not a must.

I DO NOT want any TV's in it though.

#27 ·
Northstar125 said:
What are the differences in model years? It seems I can find a lot of 02's for a good price but the 03-04's have more miles and cost more.

Is the interior better quality? Or just different stitch pattern on seats? Anything else I should know? Navigation would be nice but not a must.

I DO NOT want any TV's in it though.
The 03-06 has hid low beams
Better Stabilatrack system
Better audio system(its also a double din)minus the small sub
Among other things

----------

RippyPartsDept said:
Top Kick trucks are medium duty
It's big for a medium duty truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.