Why buy an Escalade? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Why buy an Escalade? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Northstar125 Well, it looks like I'm gonna be waiting a while. Just put a lot of work ...
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Northstar125
    Well, it looks like I'm gonna be waiting a while. Just put a lot of work into my tahoe and it runs great now and trying to get my business off the ground.

An escalade will be in my future, but maybe in a year or two. Then I can look at a nice 05-06. (I'll be able to afford it then).

----------

Sorry, forgot to ask what years or models had the heated and cooled seats?
    I think that is a really cool option.
    All years had heated seats the ones with the platinum package had the heated and cooled seats in those years you listed

Northstar125 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0 AWD, 2005 Deville, 2005 Bonnie GXP

Re: Why buy an Escalade?

What else "extra" does the platinum package have over other escalades?

The used ones seem to go for about the same price as base or ESV but they (Platinum) aren't all that common, at least not around here.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

http://www.cadillac.com/escalade-suv/features-specs/standard-optional-equipment.html

go there and then add the platinum trim to the third column and you can see

different years might have slightly different availability of options
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar125 View Post
    First off I could care less about the name or what people think. I drive what I like, because I chose it not because of what someone else thinks. We have never really had a "luxury" vehicle, although every vehicle we have ever owned we have boughten in its top trim level. (Always GM vehicles: Suburban, tahoe, grand prix, bonnevilles)

But I think its time for something different.

I was just wondering how different the escalade is compared to the other GM trucks. Right now we've got a 1999 Suburban SLT top model in 1999. Its been a very nice and reliable truck for us and I don't see getting rid of it anytime soon. Had very few problems with it in the 10 years we've had it.

But I would like a new vehicle for myself. I like the look of the escalades. And seem like they would be a step up from the suburban.

I'm looking at an 02-06 model year. Budget not decided yet but most of what I can afford is already at or beyond 100k miles. I know the 03+ has an upgraded interior and the newer ones have nav, but I see a lot of 02's in my budget with decent mileage.

Just curious what makes the escalade so much better, couldn't really find any good comparison.

I've seen people talk about air ride? Are these just air struts with an Electronic leveling pump, instead of gas-charged or is there more to it.

What more does the escalade have over a top model suburban or tahoe?

Also, any common problems?

Would you recommend the 5.3 2WD or the 6.0 AWD?
    I was in exactly the same situation when I got mine last year. For me, the Escalade made the most sense for a lot of reasons.

I tend to like offbeat cars, but the problem with that is that every time I need a part, I have to find it online, order it...and wait. So I wanted a truck that had (mostly) cheap and commonly available parts that I could pick up at Autozone if necessary - so, most foreign SUVs were out (I also briefly considered P38 Range Rovers and BMW X5s, but ditched those as options for most of the reasons below). I also wanted some kind of luxury truck, since I like all the little gadgets and stuff they put in these, plus the depreciation on luxury cars is huge compared to others. The "prestige" type buyers don't want a 10 year old truck, and the "utility" type buyers don't want to deal with all of the electronics and "expensive useless stuff that breaks" so the market drops out. So, the Suburban / Tahoe seem to hold their value better than the Escalade, but the Caddy has more equipment / features, so once you got into the ~10 year old range, the prices were almost a wash. Also, I wanted the LQ9 6.0 / AWD combination. Anything with 5.3 or 2WD wasn't even considered. Plus, the Escalade has most of the optional equipment of the other trucks included as standard - or at least, as very commonly ordered options. Some of these are year dependent, but you get rear parking assist, HIDs, 4 wheel Stabilitrak, navigation, a sunroof, built in tow hitch, etc.

I do all my own work and am not a pro mechanic, so I wanted to get something that was relatively easy to work on and had a lot of knowledge available online for common issues. If you can't find something in the Escalade forum, you can go on the Tahoe / Avalanche / Suburban / whatever forums, and chances are it's on there, since GM is a big parts bin company and uses lots of the same stuff across their entire lineup that uses the same chassis. There are pros / cons to this, but when it comes to fixing things, economies of scale dictate that whatever part you need is going to be relatively cheap and the replacement procedure will be well-documented, since they sold TONS of trucks based on the GMT800 chassis. The only exception really to the "cheap parts" thing that I've found (so far) has been shock replacements (assuming you want to keep the active suspension functional). Good news is, if you don't care about that you can always switch over to passives for cheap. I opted to keep the Autoride / Stabilitrak system intact.

Another point over the other GM trucks in a similar price bracket - have you ever seen the interior of an early '00s Suburban? ugh. The Escalade interior honestly isn't great (lots of hard plastic, especially when you consider the original price tag) but it's a ton better than the sea of gray plastic and no-frills stuff you get in a similar vintage Suburban. Those are good if you like to "keep things simple" I guess, or plan on beating the interior up with pets / construction supplies / kids / what have you, but I am about as far from that as you will find. Although, I do tend to haul some not-nice stuff in the back sometimes.

This is a secondary / winter car for me - the one I take whenever I go camping, need AWD, or have to haul lots of people / stuff, or tow things. So I wanted a lot of space, and a good towing capacity. The Escalade has 8-person seating and a tow rating of over 8000 lbs - and, the second row seats fold down, and the third row is removable. Also, four heated seats, which is good because my BMW sleeps for the winter and this becomes my everyday car from about Thanksgiving through March. The LSx series of motors is very well regarded, and bulletproof. The transmissions are a bit dated but do the job just fine, and are stout, reliable, and cheap. When I was looking, I found a whole bunch of trucks with over 200k (even some with over 300k) miles on them, and they still ran great, which says something about how long these last. Mine had 176k on it when I got it, and runs just fine. Sitting at 181k now.

Gas mileage kind of sucks, but anything with better mileage wouldn't have been as capable as what I got, so I consider it the price you have to pay for something that would be good for what I wanted it to be able to do.

And lastly, I was searching for an 03 - 06 because from what I was reading, the '02s are a bit special in that they have a number of "one year only" parts that may be tough to find replacements for. GM switched the trucks over to a different communication protocol (and made numerous improvements) in the '03 and up models. Changes were also made to the instrument cluster, the DIC (driver information center), stereo, interior, etc. They also took some things out - footwell lighting, under hood lighting, cabin filters, and (I think) running board lights (not sure about that last one) were all things found in the '02s that disappeared in later models.
    mdew091 and mdew091 like this.

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

Sold my 99 Denali a few months ago and bought a 05 Escalade EXT! I wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING! theres just so many reasons why the escalade is better then tahoe, yukon, suburban etc... Those trucks dont even compare! the way the escalade rides is untouchable by any of the others! that right there is enough for me! but honestly, the step up from the 5.7 in my Denali to the 6.0 in my EXT was a HUGE improvement! My Escalade has ALOT more power and keeps up to speed at ease! The steering is night and day difference the truck pretty much drives itself! ....I will say though, if you were going to buy one i would most def stay in the 03-06 year range! 03+ are ALOT nicer then the older models! And also newer then 06 they completely changed everything, the interior is garbage! Literally the interior on new cars is 79% recycled GARBAGE! Until they make a HUGE change in production i will never buy a 07 or newer vehicle! even outside of the really ugly clock the new models have, the carpet and dash/door panel material is so cheap its ridiculous! They are not nice at all! ....If you decide to go with the Escalade 03-06 model, i PROMISE you will not regret it! It will be by far the nicest vehicle you have ever owned! ....Just remember it is a Cadillac and parts can get pretty pricey! but of course, you get what you pay for! Good luck!

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Assasin
    Sold my 99 Denali a few months ago and bought a 05 Escalade EXT! I wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING! theres just so many reasons why the escalade is better then tahoe, yukon, suburban etc... Those trucks dont even compare! the way the escalade rides is untouchable by any of the others! that right there is enough for me! but honestly, the step up from the 5.7 in my Denali to the 6.0 in my EXT was a HUGE improvement! My Escalade has ALOT more power and keeps up to speed at ease! The steering is night and day difference the truck pretty much drives itself! ....I will say though, if you were going to buy one i would most def stay in the 03-06 year range! 03+ are ALOT nicer then the older models! And also newer then 06 they completely changed everything, the interior is garbage! Literally the interior on new cars is 79% recycled GARBAGE! Until they make a HUGE change in production i will never buy a 07 or newer vehicle! even outside of the really ugly clock the new models have, the carpet and dash/door panel material is so cheap its ridiculous! They are not nice at all! ....If you decide to go with the Escalade 03-06 model, i PROMISE you will not regret it! It will be by far the nicest vehicle you have ever owned! ....Just remember it is a Cadillac and parts can get pretty pricey! but of course, you get what you pay for! Good luck!
    I can agree on the degree of differences but parts prices depends on which dealer you go to

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Assasin View Post
    Hi Silent_Assasin,

I love hearing how much you love your 05 Escalade! I agree with how awesome the ride is. Thanks for sharing your input for other forum members on the Escalade; I am sure your input will be valuable!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Silent_Assasin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT - Rip Tide Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Airdorn View Post
    I drive an Escalade because I got this 2003 for $1,200.00 (twelve hundred) -- clear title too!

After a few minor fixes here and there it runs perfectly and reliably.
    lol does it have 1,000,000 miles?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hi Silent_Assasin,

I love hearing how much you love your 05 Escalade! I agree with how awesome the ride is. Thanks for sharing your input for other forum members on the Escalade; I am sure your input will be valuable!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    No problem Laura! Thank you!.... people have helped me alot so I like to return the favor when possible! I may not know everything but I do know how nice of a vehicle the Cadillac Escalade is! thats a given! And any chance to help someone else be as happy with their ride as I am with mine, I will jump all over it! ....again, Thanks for your support![COLOR="Silver"]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.