Where does your guys's oil pressure gauge average at?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Where does your guys's oil pressure gauge average at? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So i was driving my 03' ESV 6.0 on the freeway today at around 75 MPH, and the DIC displayed ...
    YoshiMan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe Deville D'Elegance

Question Where does your guys's oil pressure gauge average at?

So i was driving my 03' ESV 6.0 on the freeway today at around 75 MPH, and the DIC displayed the "oil pressure low" message, along with the dinging sound for maybe about 4 seconds. It cleared and returned to normal almost as soon as it started and by the time i figured out what was going on and glanced at the pressure gauge, nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary. I stopped at the next exit and checked the oil level, and its right where it should be.

Now this has me a tad concerned even though i know the electronics in these sometimes can be finnicky... I have roughly about 135K on the clock now and in the little less than i year i've had the truck, the oil pressure gauge has always hovered slightly over the 1/4 mark, or what should roughly be 25ish PSI?

I've never had any engine issue with it, and it's never made any ticking sounds or any noise out of the ordinary.

I did a quick check using the specifications according to my factory service manual, and just running off the of the gauge alone it's appears to be above the minimum oil PSI specs, (1000 RPMs needs at least 6, the gauge showed the low teens, 2000 RPMs should be 18, it shows 20 ish, and at 4000 rpms it needs 24, mine showed about 30)

I guess my question is where your guy's oil pressure gauges average at? My understanding is that it should average around "40", but mine has never gone that high... Hmmm.. Just trying to gauge if there is some sort of electrical sensor problem or some internal mechanical issue that I need to address... thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigirb2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 escalade

Re: Where does your guys's oil pressure gauge average at?

you within factory specs. sounds like your oil pressure sending unit is going out. easy fix. u cant go off everyones average because alot of things can make them differ. long as u are within factory spec you fine.

That is true, of course! I'm wondering if the oil pump/o-ring is on it's way out, as i have seen others post about how that was the issue. Looks like it's time for more research!!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    That is true, of course! I'm wondering if the oil pump/o-ring is on it's way out, as i have seen others post about how that was the issue. Looks like it's time for more research!!
    My truck normally is around the half way mark and is bone stock(I think it's the 40 mark)

id change sending unit first being the cost effectiveness. then if she do it again you know to look further into the oil pump

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Before replacing the oil pump last month, our '05, with 162k, stock motor ran at 40 PSI religiously, whether hauling a trailer or not, or at whatever RPM. After the oil pump replacement its running about 50 PSI.

I would agree that yours sounds more like electrical rather than the pump or O-ring. Now if the motor was ticking then I would go after the O-ring and or oil pump.

appleroma Guest
    mine is around the middle 40 psi. Before changing oil pump, i suggest you to change oil and oil filter. sometimes the filter is clogged which causes low pressure.

just to throw it out there synthetic oil will lower your pressure but offer better protection

Well, now that i actually have been watching the gauge, i took it for another drive today, and its CERTAINLY lower than what you guys are saying as well as what a few friends at work with similar GM engines are showing.

In fact, here's a picture I took late last year shortly after I bought the truck to show people what such a gas-hog of a vehicle could get if you drove it right on the freeway. The pressure gauge usually hangs around 1/8-1/4, which i never really thought much of since it never alerted to it:

I've decided to down the truck for repairs until i can change the sensor and go from there. If i end up needing to drop the pan for the o-ring, then i am just going to go all out and replace the oil pump, waterpump, and timing chain while i'm at it as well.

I do have to say that by reading the FSM, it really doesn't doesnt look nearly as difficult as i thought it was going to be.. I love OHV engines just for this reason: no freaking timing belt to deal with during repairs!

good lord def low pressure

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by YoshiMan
    Well, now that i actually have been watching the gauge, i took it for another drive today, and its CERTAINLY lower than what you guys are saying as well as what a few friends at work with similar GM engines are showing.

In fact, here's a picture I took late last year shortly after I bought the truck to show people what such a gas-hog of a vehicle could get if you drove it right on the freeway. The pressure gauge usually hangs around 1/8-1/4, which i never really thought much of since it never alerted to it:

I've decided to down the truck for repairs until i can change the sensor and go from there. If i end up needing to drop the pan for the o-ring, then i am just going to go all out and replace the oil pump, waterpump, and timing chain while i'm at it as well.

I do have to say that by reading the FSM, it really doesn't doesnt look nearly as difficult as i thought it was going to be.. I love OHV engines just for this reason: no freaking timing belt to deal with during repairs!
    Ive been thru both scenarios, when the oil pressure sensor went the engine sounded fine but when the o-ring went it sounded like a diesel

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade
    Just did the oil pressure unit 3 days ago 27 mm or 1 1/16 deep socket back right side easy to do. 26 dollars at rock auto

I got the sensor on the way, i'll start small and work my way up. I'm going to be taking it on a road trip in a few months and am in the process of changing ALL the fluids and such too, so i figured i won't go overboard and save some $$$ if i don't have to!

any update?

I just got the Sensor in the mail, but its blizzard conditions out, so it's gonna have to wait till next week! I did have to start the truck to move it, and when it was cold, the gauge was actually near the center of the gauge. But once it warmed up for a minute, it was back down to 1/8.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.