Cadillac Owners Forum banner

tranny temp while towing ~7000 lbs

9K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  hotrodln 
#1 ·
sup guys -
my 2006 escalade has 90k miles. 4k miles ago, we replaced the tranny (coolant leaked into tranny cooler).
We also used a bigger external cooler when putting in new tranny (Aamco).
Truck has new E rated Falken tires, new bilstein rear air shocks and compressor, eletronic brake controller.
Trailer is 20 ft enclosed v-nose. With gear and loaded up, its about 7000 lbs.

Towed twice in last week, both times the travel time as 2 - 3 hours.
See attached pic of the stock tranny temp gague.
It was about 3/4 of the ways up. Typically, with no trailer, its 1/4 of the way up. With my old open trailer, it only got to be half way up. Now with this bigger enclosed trailer, it's going over the half-way mark.

I'm concerned because it wasn't too hot (60-70) but in summer, it'll be in the 90's and I'll be about 1000 lbs heavier (family in truck and more gear in trailer).

Thoughts?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
2MCHPWR said:
sup guys -
my 2006 escalade has 90k miles. 4k miles ago, we replaced the tranny (coolant leaked into tranny cooler).
We also used a bigger external cooler when putting in new tranny (Aamco).
Truck has new E rated Falken tires, new bilstein rear air shocks and compressor, eletronic brake controller.
Trailer is 20 ft enclosed v-nose. With gear and loaded up, its about 7000 lbs.

Towed twice in last week, both times the travel time as 2 - 3 hours.
See attached pic of the stock tranny temp gague.
It was about 3/4 of the ways up. Typically, with no trailer, its 1/4 of the way up. With my old open trailer, it only got to be half way up. Now with this bigger enclosed trailer, it's going over the half-way mark.

I'm concerned because it wasn't too hot (60-70) but in summer, it'll be in the 90's and I'll be about 1000 lbs heavier (family in truck and more gear in trailer).

Thoughts?
Which transmission cooler did you add... Ive seen these temps also but i was pulling a 25 ft boat up a slight grade and it was at least 110 outside... So far ive put a lower temp thermostat, i will pull the enclosed car hauler in about 2 weeks

#3 ·
I'll see if i can measure the cooler tonight.
I was watching coolant temps and they were fine / normal so I don't think a lower temp t-stat would help my situation (or does my situation even need help?). Seems like others (search feature) said under 250 degrees is on the high side of normal. At 275, tranny temp light on dash blinks and lowers power output until temps cool down to 250.
I'm just nervous about summer months and slightly heavier load.

#4 ·
2MCHPWR said:
I'll see if i can measure the cooler tonight.
I was watching coolant temps and they were fine / normal so I don't think a lower temp t-stat would help my situation (or does my situation even need help?). Seems like others (search feature) said under 250 degrees is on the high side of normal. At 275, tranny temp light on dash blinks and lowers power output until temps cool down to 250.
I'm just nervous about summer months and slightly heavier load.
This may sound crazy but are you using the tow/haul mode of the tranny?
I have towed before and it seems the tranny runs cooler in that mode(then again it does depend on the outside temp
But I am using the stock cooler(at least I think its stock)

#8 ·
2MCHPWR said:
how much weight did you tow? i'm looking for input from peeps doing 7k+ lbs. to make an apples to apples comparison.
The most I have ever towed was 3 tons and it was a camper trailer(I guess it was 3 tons it might have been more) and I did use the tow/haul the temp didn't get really high while I was towing
It does help if you spray the radiator from the back to clear out any buildup from bugs and other gunk which will help the tranny cooler

#9 ·
When I changed/flushed my transmission fluid the last time (10,000 miles ago) I replaced a quart of fluid with Lucas Trans Fix. I have used it in different vehicles for years with good results. I also used my Super Chips programmer to increase my line pressure for all three shifts to 18 PSI. My transmission at all times runs about 30* cooler than it did prior to taking these steps. I just pulled my 7500# boat down to Ft. Lauderdale this week running 70~75 MPH in 85* outside temps. I never saw my temp gauge reach beyond 230*.

#10 ·
sprink60 said:
When I changed/flushed my transmission fluid the last time (10,000 miles ago) I replaced a quart of fluid with Lucas Trans Fix. I have used it in different vehicles for years with good results. I also used my Super Chips programmer to increase my line pressure for all three shifts to 18 PSI. My transmission at all times runs about 30* cooler than it did prior to taking these steps. I just pulled my 7500# boat down to Ft. Lauderdale this week running 70~75 MPH in 85* outside temps. I never saw my temp gauge reach beyond 230*.
Nice

#17 ·
Just a thought- you said you installed a new cooler. is it an air cooled one? it needs to be tight to the other radiators to make sure the air is going through it and not around it. if it is nice and tight, sounds like you need a bigger cooler, OR buy one with an electric fan on it. I bought one for my RV .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.