Weird ac issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Weird ac issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok I have noticed since my dad got the truck the ac would make the belt squeal(and varies with rpm) ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Ok I have noticed since my dad got the truck the ac would make the belt squeal(and varies with rpm) with the ac on so we had the belt and tensioner replaced still didn't fix it

So I try varying the rpm to see if it does it again while my dad watched
    Well the tensioner was moveing like crazy as the ac clutch was doing a rapid fire engage at the same time the belt was squealing the odd thing is it does it after the second time the compressor engages I am thinking the system is close to being overcharged as it takes longer then normal to cool down

Anybody know what's up and can suggest anything before I take it back to the dealer(I do watch them as they work so I know they replaced the belt and tensioner) the crazy thing is it DIDN'T do it at the dealer(I drove the truck home squealing the whole way and its embarrassing this is happening

It is a 02 base with the 6.0 and all wheel drive and drives great and is sound otherwise

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bump anyone?

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Weird ac issue

Sorry to tell you but it's a bad compressor. The AC will still work at the beginning of this condition but it won't last long. Some specs say the compressor is slugging or slushing. The idler pulley rattles back and forth wildly and usually makes some noise. The compressor is trying to work but can't function. I had it on my 2003 at about 143,000 miles, replaced compressor and all is fine. I also wasted money on the tensioner and belt first.

----------

I forgot to mention, it's a fairly easy job replacing the compressor and they are not that expensive aftermarket new, about 225-250.

Quote Originally Posted by BDuncan
    Sorry to tell you but it's a bad compressor. The AC will still work at the beginning of this condition but it won't last long. Some specs say the compressor is slugging or slushing. The idler pulley rattles back and forth wildly and usually makes some noise. The compressor is trying to work but can't function. I had it on my 2003 at about 143,000 miles, replaced compressor and all is fine. I also wasted money on the tensioner and belt first.

----------

I forgot to mention, it's a fairly easy job replacing the compressor and they are not that expensive aftermarket new, about 225-250.
    I was told the same thing at the dealer but it was also a pound low on freon(it hasn't done the machine gun sound yet since the system was recharged) but the mechanic did say that might of had a hand in it(it finely did the noise at the dealer and two guys and the service manager heard it so no one could deny it one said it was the compressor as soon as he heard it

My dad decided as long as it is throwing out cold air(its ice cold now) the slight belt squeal ain't as bad consisting it only does it at certain rpms

He don't want to replace it till it completely locks up(I hope it makes it through the summer) then he will get it replaced

Ps I have the gm service manual but not the equipment to pull the freon and recharge the system it looks like it would be cake walk to replace(after the system was drained first and a leak fixed first)

Update the compressor still has yet to do the machine gun noise but now it sounds like the compressor clutch slips and it havering a hard time engaging(yet the system throws out ice cold air)

I was wondering if the compressor clutch is going bad?

It only does it when you rev the engine past 2000 rpms but if you slowly rev the engine (even slow take off from a dead stop) the ac never makes a noise

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Re: Weird ac issue

Sounds like the sand is about to run out of the hour glass on the compressor. Start sticking money in the Mason Jar for the compressor replacement...not an if but a when.

Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    Sounds like the sand is about to run out of the hour glass on the compressor. Start sticking money in the Mason Jar for the compressor replacement...not an if but a when.
    I looked online and I seems that it is a common thing(I hope mine doesn't fail on my 03 (it has 160 something thousand miles) my moms 02 has 93,000 and something miles(kinda sucks that it decides to wait till the time its needed to start doing this) but since we have a back up it shouldn't be bad(I hate not having ac in the summer due to my health)

If it fails its my dads problem(not my truck) but I am the one he asks to do the legwork since I am the one who knows more about the truck(not sure if he will go used or new on the compressor yet but we did get a price on the compressor from the dealer(like I figured around 600)

I may have them check my ac soon to see how its doing(make sure its properly charged) since it cheaper for them to check the freon charge

Thanks to all for the help(I just hope the belt squeal don't get to annoying till the compressor can be replaced since the ac is ice cold now)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.