got rid of power steering whine and hard spot - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, got rid of power steering whine and hard spot in Cadillac Escalade Forums; sorry for bumping an old thread but Im confused whether I should use PS fluid or brake fluid? Just bought ...
    Gatorlac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 sls

Re: got rid of power steering whine and hard spot

sorry for bumping an old thread but Im confused whether I should use PS fluid or brake fluid? Just bought an 05 escalade and sometimes its hard to steer for maybe half a second right when I start it up/put it in drive. Its not bad at all but I wanna change the fluid before it gets bad. I know its the hydroboost system that controls brakes and PS but which fluid do I use? Been reading and see people say they used PS fluid but the cap on the res says brake fluid only...

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorlac
    sorry for bumping an old thread but Im confused whether I should use PS fluid or brake fluid? Just bought an 05 escalade and sometimes its hard to steer for maybe half a second right when I start it up/put it in drive. Its not bad at all but I wanna change the fluid before it gets bad. I know its the hydroboost system that controls brakes and PS but which fluid do I use? Been reading and see people say they used PS fluid but the cap on the res says brake fluid only...
    It is the power steering pump that works the brake booster not the other way around

The power steering pump is on the front of the engine drivers side

Do like the op did and it should fix the issue

Do like the op did and it should fix the issue
    Gatorlac likes this.

Gatorlac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 sls

ok so I should only mess with the cap on the engine and not worry about the res?

Thanks for replying

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorlac
    ok so I should only mess with the cap on the engine and not worry about the res? Thanks for replying
    Yep only the one on the power steering pump and not the one on the brakes

SQUIRREL MASTER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by bigirb2002 View Post
    so before changing my fluid if i turned the wheel to the left it would hum and then there was 2 hard spots. so i drained the old fluid and put in valvoline high mileage recommended by gm. It helped with the hum but still had hard spots and still could here the hum. So i drained more fluid out and put in a half of bottle of lucus power steering treatment. drove 1 day and later that night i noticed the hard spot was much softer. Went out this morning and its completely gone. Lucus power steering treatment is good stuff.Worked as advertised.
    I realize this is an older post, but if the OP used a 1/2 bottle of lucas, do you only use 2-2.5 quarts of actual fluid instead of the 3 quarts?

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRREL MASTER
    I realize this is an older post, but if the OP used a 1/2 bottle of lucas, do you only use 2-2.5 quarts of actual fluid instead of the 3 quarts?
    I would say so

SQUIRREL MASTER is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade

I figured as much. Again, I'm no master mechanic, nor do I claim to be, but 1+1=2 no matter where you're from. Thanks for the reassurance TCM.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIRREL MASTER
    I figured as much. Again, I'm no master mechanic, nor do I claim to be, but 1+1=2 no matter where you're from. Thanks for the reassurance TCM.
    Glad to help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.