Air Lift 60769 System and Factory Auto-Leveling Compatibility
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Air Lift 60769 System and Factory Auto-Leveling Compatibility in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Why would the Air Lift 1000 coil #60769 not work with the stock Auto-Level air shocks and system? I have ...
    BiggDaddyMJL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Air Lift 60769 System and Factory Auto-Leveling Compatibility

Why would the Air Lift 1000 coil #60769 not work with the stock Auto-Level air shocks and system? I have a 2004 EXT AWD all stock including the factory rear air shocks. I wanted to add some sort of helpers in the rear for hauling trailers on a regular basis. I like the factory Air shocks and have no plans to convert it over to a gas shock setup like most cars and trucks have. I wanted to add additional suspension to the rear so the factory air shocks aren't doing all the work as I'm worried that frequent trailering will wear them and the compressor out faster.

Timbren SES wont work as they are simply a fancy bump stop and will never assist in load carrying since the stock air shocks will level out the truck to the same height and never let the suspension squat enough for them to contact the axle. But why couldn't the air lift system work WITH the factory air shocks to help carry the load???? I understand that with the air lift system you are doing manually what the stock system does automatically but still why couldn't they both carry some of the load?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggDaddyMJL
    Why would the Air Lift 1000 coil #60769 not work with the stock Auto-Level air shocks and system? I have a 2004 EXT AWD all stock including the factory rear air shocks. I wanted to add some sort of helpers in the rear for hauling trailers on a regular basis. I like the factory Air shocks and have no plans to convert it over to a gas shock setup like most cars and trucks have. I wanted to add additional suspension to the rear so the factory air shocks aren't doing all the work as I'm worried that frequent trailering will wear them and the compressor out faster.

Timbren SES wont work as they are simply a fancy bump stop and will never assist in load carrying since the stock air shocks will level out the truck to the same height and never let the suspension squat enough for them to contact the axle. But why couldn't the air lift system work WITH the factory air shocks to help carry the load???? I understand that with the air lift system you are doing manually what the stock system does automatically but still why couldn't they both carry some of the load?
    It should work if you tap into the air lines however its gonna take the stock compressor longer to fill the extra air space possibly causing over heating and premature failure

starnold is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade Gold Edition

Re: Air Lift 60769 System and Factory Auto-Leveling Compatibility

Older thread I know, but wanted to let you know that the Air Lift 1000 kit will work just fine on your Escalade. I installed this kit on my 2005
    Escalde and it works great! I tow a 30' travel trailer and a 25' boat with ours and don't have any more issues. Before this kit the compressor used
    to run quite often when towing. Even with a load equalizing hitch. Now with this kit aired up correctly it hardly ever runs! I found that for my application I run 10lbs. in the bags when not towing and up to 35lbs. when I am towing, depending on how heavy we are loaded. I didn't tap into the factory air ride for this install. I just ran a line to the rear of truck and installed my schrader valve in the trailer wiring plug bracket. I did buy a real accurate air gauge and a 12v air compressor that I take when I tow. Works great, and hasn't changed the nice factory ride when we are unloaded!

65kaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How difficult was the install?

Install was not difficult at all. Of course, I have a hoist, so that made it pretty easy. The most difficult part was cutting the hole in the rubber upper spring perch. I was able to do it with my pocket knife that has a 4"blade. Just reached through the spring to make the cuts. Other than that just follow the included instructions. Took me about 1.5hrs with a buddy. Probably could do it in about 45min. if I had to do it again. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by starnold View Post
    Older thread I know, but wanted to let you know that the Air Lift 1000 kit will work just fine on your Escalade. I installed this kit on my 2005
    Escalde and it works great! I tow a 30' travel trailer and a 25' boat with ours and don't have any more issues. Before this kit the compressor used
    to run quite often when towing. Even with a load equalizing hitch. Now with this kit aired up correctly it hardly ever runs! I found that for my application I run 10lbs. in the bags when not towing and up to 35lbs. when I am towing, depending on how heavy we are loaded. I didn't tap into the factory air ride for this install. I just ran a line to the rear of truck and installed my schrader valve in the trailer wiring plug bracket. I did buy a real accurate air gauge and a 12v air compressor that I take when I tow. Works great, and hasn't changed the nice factory ride when we are unloaded!
    Were you following me? LOL just kidding. But that's almost exactly what I did. Prior to the Air Lift system the stock shocks would pump up when I hooked the trailer up (for a long time mind you) and also every time I started the truck up again with the trailer connected. I run between 10-12psi normally and 35-40psi loaded. I too ran the air lines separately out the back to the 7-way electrical plug plate. Having a separate air line for each Air Lift gives me some independent adjustability too. I did not tap into the factory air lines either. The stock air shocks will pump up shortly after a few days when I first start the truck when I run 10-12psi (like normal before the Air Lift) and will kick on for about 5 seconds when I first hook a trailer up with the Air Lift at 35-40psi. It does not run every time I start the truck with the trailer hooked up anymore either. Perfect balance in my mind. Both the Air Lift and the stock air shocks working together both loaded and normal unloaded at those PSI.

I took it a step further and hardwired, yes hardwired, a 12v air compressor and tank. I have enough onboard air to fill tires, run air tools, etc. I can even plug in a set of handmade jumper cables and jumpstart either mine or someone else's car from the back without even poping the hood. Really slick. I even fabricated a custom aluminum box for the back of the truck since the aluminum store bought truck boxes don't fit that houses everything.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    The jumper cables sounds like a great idea

I'm glad it worked as good for you BiggDaddy as it did for me! The compressor and jumper cable idea is pretty cool! May have to think about that! I just have a small 12V compressor I keep in there. On the up side to all of this, this winter has been crazy cold here in Northern Michigan, so the exhaust valve in my factory compressor froze! So I just aired the bags up a little more, and I'll wait till spring to fix the compressor!

Quote Originally Posted by starnold View Post
    I'm glad it worked as good for you BiggDaddy as it did for me! The compressor and jumper cable idea is pretty cool! May have to think about that! I just have a small 12V compressor I keep in there. On the up side to all of this, this winter has been crazy cold here in Northern Michigan, so the exhaust valve in my factory compressor froze! So I just aired the bags up a little more, and I'll wait till spring to fix the compressor!
    Thanks for the initial reply to the thread though!

SE Michigan here so I hear ya! 2nd snowiest winter in history. Damn cold too. Same snow on the ground all winter since there is little to no melting going on.

One of the best add-on's I've ever bought for sure, and like you've figured out they double as a backup for the stock system! I did a lot of research on 12v compressors and none of them were anything to write home about. They get hot in a hurry, take forever, the wiring in a cigarette lighter isn't a large enough gauge for the amp draw. And I didn't like having to open the hood to hook up alligator clamps to the battery with cables everywhere like with the better compressors and for as often as I use it (about 1-2x a week). Plus side post terminal batteries suck for this. I ended up getting an adapter for side post terminal batteries because my old battery was still working but wanted to replace it with a side and top post battery when the time came (which I recently had to do…twice ). I'm still hardwired using the adapter since it was already done that way. Oh well another easy access to jump start now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.