2000 Escalade HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2000 Escalade HELP! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; This afternoon I was on the freeway and all of the sudden it became sluggish then a few minutes later ...
    SpeedinBitch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade

2000 Escalade HELP!

This afternoon I was on the freeway and all of the sudden it became sluggish then a few minutes later the check engine light comes on so as soon as I got off the freeway it just died. I checked all gauges as soon as I saw the check engine light on but nothing was out of the ordinary. So shortly after it died I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I just replaced my radiator roughly a week ago and had no issues. So long story short now there is water in the oil. Could this be a blown head gasket, cracked head, or block by chance? Any advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedinBitch
    This afternoon I was on the freeway and all of the sudden it became sluggish then a few minutes later the check engine light comes on so as soon as I got off the freeway it just died. I checked all gauges as soon as I saw the check engine light on but nothing was out of the ordinary. So shortly after it died I noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. I just replaced my radiator roughly a week ago and had no issues. So long story short now there is water in the oil. Could this be a blown head gasket, cracked head, or block by chance? Any advice would be great.
    If the tail pipe smoke is white or smells sweet then it might the gasket ,or a crack in the head or block
    First you need to get the codes since the engine light is on

djais1801 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 EXT Sable Black

Re: 2000 Escalade HELP!

why did you replace the radiator...was it because of a previous overheating? if so, maybe the heads got warped

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    If the tail pipe smoke is white or smells sweet then it might the gasket ,or a crack in the head or block
    First you need to get the codes since the engine light is on
    I didn't see any smoke coming out of the tail pipe when this incident occurred, however I am unable to get it started and take it to get tested to see what codes come up :\ The only smoke or steam was coming from under the hood starting from the battery to where the overflow container is.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by djais1801 View Post
    why did you replace the radiator...was it because of a previous overheating? if so, maybe the heads got warped
    I replaced the radiator because there was a nasty muddy substance in the radiator. I have never had any over heating issues previously.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedinBitch

I didn't see any smoke coming out of the tail pipe when this incident occurred, however I am unable to get it started and take it to get tested to see what codes come up :\ The only smoke or steam was coming from under the hood starting from the battery to where the overflow container is.

----------

I replaced the radiator because there was a nasty muddy substance in the radiator. I have never had any over heating issues previously.
    Will the truck not crank?
    If not you may have to borrow a code scanner

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Will the truck not crank?
    If not you may have to borrow a code scanner
    Yes it will crank but it wont start when I crank it over it doesn't sound normal if that makes any sense.

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Sounds like it overheated and you may need new head gaskets. I wonder if the previous owner just dumped bars leak or something similar to cover up the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 6lbsofSound
    Sounds like it overheated and you may need new head gaskets. I wonder if the previous owner just dumped bars leak or something similar to cover up the problem.
    I agree

11. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.