tire failure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, tire failure in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I had an interesting weekend... Had a rear tire blow at 75mph. Damn glad it was the rear. Never had ...
    90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

tire failure

I had an interesting weekend... Had a rear tire blow at 75mph. Damn glad it was the rear. Never had a complete failure like this before...
    The truck still has the factory Goodyears on the 17" rims. They have good tread, but I am thinking the age of the tire was part of the failure.
    That said, I am going to get all new tires.....
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: tire failure

Wow, that's scary. Bet you had you hands full when it initially occurred.

I can buy used 20" panther juice 6 wheels with 285/50/20 Nexen Roadian HP tires with less than 1000 miles for almost the same cost as putting new tires on the stock 17" rims. Problem is I am not sure that I like the panther wheels any more than the stockers.... What do you guys think?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    Wow, that's scary. Bet you had you hands full when it initially occurred.
    Actually, the truck did a great job and was very composed. I was under control the whole time and never felt like I was in danger. That said it did scare the crap out of me. At first, I thought the wheel had come off. I was in the fast lane and had no issues making my way to the shoulder.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by 90limited

Actually, the truck did a great job and was very composed. I was under control the whole time and never felt like I was in danger. That said it did scare the crap out of me. At first, I thought the wheel had come off. I was in the fast lane and had no issues making my way to the shoulder.
    The main thing is that you DIDN'T have a wreck

As far as the tires I ain't much for larger rims but its up to you(

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
    I had an interesting weekend... Had a rear tire blow at 75mph. Damn glad it was the rear. Never had a complete failure like this before...
    The truck still has the factory Goodyears on the 17" rims. They have good tread, but I am thinking the age of the tire was part of the failure.
    That said, I am going to get all new tires.....
    Glad to here you and your Escalade made it in OK! This same thing happened to my wife a little over a year ago while she was driving home in LA traffic. Blew out a rear tire at freeway speed. Everything seemed to be alright so we put on a new tire and went on with our lives. Six months later the truck developed a strange vibration that took me four new tires, three trips for rebalancing and finally some basic troubleshooting to figure out that the rim must have hit the ground when the tire blew out making that rim slightly out of round. It wasn't very noticeable until it wore out the bearing in the rear axle. What I'm trying to say is make sure you have them check that wheel closely before just putting a new tire on it.

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Got to love those factory goodyears. I have 2 that seperated. Not as bad as yours, but I noticed it early. The truck was waddeling, and I saw a BIG bubble in the tread, ready to explode. The other just seperated at low speed. And I always kept them at 35 PSI. Year round.

I have 1 goodyear in my shed. you can have it for shipping. Me personally, I'd NEVER put another goodyear on anything my family drives.

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    Got to love those factory goodyears. I have 1 goodyear in my shed. you can have it for shipping. Me personally, I'd NEVER put another goodyear on anything my family drives.
    Thanks for the offer, but I am putting on 2010 18" takeoffs on the truck. They are suposed to only have 100 miles on them. That said, I guess I could use the tire to make my old rims a complete road ready set. what is your zip so I can calculate shipping? mine is 40014

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by 90limited

Thanks for the offer, but I am putting on 2010 18" takeoffs on the truck. They are suposed to only have 100 miles on them. That said, I guess I could use the tire to make my old rims a complete road ready set. what is your zip so I can calculate shipping? mine is 40014
    Please familiarize yourself with the DOT date code stamped on tires, that will give you an idea of how old the tire is and hopefully this wont happen again

[QUOTE=wesyder;3258554]Please familiarize yourself with the DOT date code stamped on tires, that will give you an idea of how old the tire is and hopefully this wont happen again[/QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up... the take offs that I bought were in fact 2010 and I also checked the orginals and they were 2003. The seller was not very honest about the condition of the tires and rims. According to him, they had 100 miles on them. After driving 2 1/2 hours to see them I was not 100% pleased. The tires were about 50% and the rims had some light pitting. Once I have time to get some polish on them, the pitting will be a non issue. That said, it was still a good deal, so I took them home. I like the look of the 18" chromes on the EXT. As I said, for the money, I am happy...
    Attached Images

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    And thats all that matters... Your happy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.