Selling 1999 Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Selling 1999 Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Well I took my Escalade to the mechanic due to a loud ticking noise when cold. It would go away ...
    rondoman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Selling 1999 Escalade

Well I took my Escalade to the mechanic due to a loud ticking noise when cold. It would go away after 5-10 minutes of starting. It has 124,000 miles on it.

Anyways, they said they took the cover off and the engine was clean inside, but dry. The gauge read about 50 lbs. of pressure and they said it looked like oil pressure loss coming from somewhere and that no oil was getting to the top of the engine. They recommended a new engine.

It also needs all new brakes, was leaking coolant from the front and their was a small leak from the master cylinder. New tires will also be needed soon.

Well, after hearing all this I pretty much said screw it, I am gonna get a new vehicle that doesnt guzzle gas and isnt a problem anymore. Not worth sticking thousands of dollars into a 14 year old vehicle when you never know what will go next.

So, a guy I work with wants to buy it for $2000 and I was wondering if that was a fair price. You can find values on the internet but not when it needs a new engine, brakes, tires, and such.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to unload this thing tomorrow morning, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by rondoman View Post
    Well I took my Escalade to the mechanic due to a loud ticking noise when cold. It would go away after 5-10 minutes of starting. It has 124,000 miles on it.

Anyways, they said they took the cover off and the engine was clean inside, but dry. The gauge read about 50 lbs. of pressure and they said it looked like oil pressure loss coming from somewhere and that no oil was getting to the top of the engine. They recommended a new engine.

It also needs all new brakes, was leaking coolant from the front and their was a small leak from the master cylinder. New tires will also be needed soon.

Well, after hearing all this I pretty much said screw it, I am gonna get a new vehicle that doesnt guzzle gas and isnt a problem anymore. Not worth sticking thousands of dollars into a 14 year old vehicle when you never know what will go next.

So, a guy I work with wants to buy it for $2000 and I was wondering if that was a fair price. You can find values on the internet but not when it needs a new engine, brakes, tires, and such.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I am looking to unload this thing tomorrow morning, thanks.
    Regardless of what market value says your car should be worth, the problems you are describing drastically change it's price tag. If you are not mechanical enough to fix or replace an engine yourself, then I suggest getting rid of it before it stops running. If you hold out for a higher bidder and it quits on you, then you will be haggling with junk yards for a sale price in the hundreds instead of thousands.

Re: Selling 1999 Escalade

Thanks for the response!

I couldn't sell it to someone without telling them the issue. Im sure I could sell it for a lot more while withholding the information about the engine but in good conscious cannot do that.

The guy that wants to buy it for 2k has his own shop and a Suburban engine for it. I was curious if 2k was a good price for me to get for it as he knows the condition and I assume unloading it for 2k would be my best bet. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

With needing a new engine, tires, brakes, alignment n such Im thinking it's best.

Sad day tho.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by rondoman
    Thanks for the response!

I couldn't sell it to someone without telling them the issue. Im sure I could sell it for a lot more while withholding the information about the engine but in good conscious cannot do that.

The guy that wants to buy it for 2k has his own shop and a Suburban engine for it. I was curious if 2k was a good price for me to get for it as he knows the condition and I assume unloading it for 2k would be my best bet. I am not mechanically inclined whatsoever.

With needing a new engine, tires, brakes, alignment n such Im thinking it's best.

Sad day tho.
    I agree with mike it's better to let the next owner know of any problems no matter what they are and given that if you kept the truck you would need to rebuild or replace the engine as it would fail in the shape its in and given that the truck needs other work done it may be best to take the 2 grand and let it go as you can take the money and put it in on another (and possibly newer)truck which would be better for you

Thanks guys for the input.

The funny part of the story is the guy Im selling it to for 2k is the guy I bought it from 4 years ago lol.

Thanks guys for the input.

The funny part of the story is the guy Im selling it to for 2k is the guy I bought it from 4 years ago lol.
    Wow that's a odd turn of events

Lol yeah. Bought in 2009 for 7k. Been a great 4 years but the needing a new engine and $90 in gas a week its time. Hes buying his Caddy back lol.

Lol yeah. Bought in 2009 for 7k. Been a great 4 years but the needing a new engine and $90 in gas a week its time. Hes buying his Caddy back lol.
    I hear you on the fuel but look on the bright side at least you know it will be fixed right and you won't have to pay the cost to fix it(a new engine in a truck that old would be worth more then the truck itself) and it won't be sold to someone who didn't know of the engine problems or how to fix them

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by rondoman View Post
    $7000 - $2000 = $5000. Divide that by four years and the vehicle has cost you just over $100 per month. That's not too bad.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

^^^Agreed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.