to buy, or not to buy...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, to buy, or not to buy... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    cham123 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): not yet...

to buy, or not to buy...

Hello chaps/chapesse’s.

My name is Chris and I am currently living in Qatar in the middle east. I test drove an Escalade this evening and was very impressed with it, I will copy and paste a link to the sale of the vehicle, it is rather vague as to what the specs of the car are, however you can get a good view regarding the pictures. I have first refusal of the car and said I would let him know by Sunday if I will take the vehicle or not.
    Originally, I am from the UK and have never driven a car of such size, it is monstrous but very responsive, was very impressed. The seller said it was his sisters car and only has 46000km’s on the clock (28500 miles in real money) from new in 2006, I’m guessing she was only running around town in it with such low mileage. I was told a tell tale sign if the car has been thrashed in the desert is if there is sand in the headlights… nothing. It is immaculate, not a single dent, a few scuffs on the drivers seat, but a car of that age, I am more than expecting something along those lines.
    I was a little concerned with the steering however, it was incredibly light, for me, far too light for a car of such a size, is this normal in Escalades? Is there any way to firm it up a little? If anyone in Doha knows of a garage to take the car to be checked over before any agreement is settled, I’d be very grateful. What would you guys be looking at when getting it serviced? I do believe it has been looked after in its past, however probably not to a standard I would if it were mine from brand new. Are there any weak areas about the car that should be avoided at all costs if this car shows it? I am not very techy I am afraid, I wish I was, however if I could get some questions I should be asking, areas I should be looking at etc, I would be truly grateful.
    Next question, is there a minimum height for the car? My wife is a midget, barely 5 foot, has anyone of a short stature had an issue with the Escalade? Is there an minimum height?

Any help, tips, advice, truly I am grateful!

Chris.

http://www.qatarsale.com/mycar_e.aspx?carid=105726

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by cham123
    Hello chaps/chapesse’s.

My name is Chris and I am currently living in Qatar in the middle east. I test drove an Escalade this evening and was very impressed with it, I will copy and paste a link to the sale of the vehicle, it is rather vague as to what the specs of the car are, however you can get a good view regarding the pictures. I have first refusal of the car and said I would let him know by Sunday if I will take the vehicle or not.
    Originally, I am from the UK and have never driven a car of such size, it is monstrous but very responsive, was very impressed. The seller said it was his sisters car and only has 46000km’s on the clock (28500 miles in real money) from new in 2006, I’m guessing she was only running around town in it with such low mileage. I was told a tell tale sign if the car has been thrashed in the desert is if there is sand in the headlights… nothing. It is immaculate, not a single dent, a few scuffs on the drivers seat, but a car of that age, I am more than expecting something along those lines.
    I was a little concerned with the steering however, it was incredibly light, for me, far too light for a car of such a size, is this normal in Escalades? Is there any way to firm it up a little? If anyone in Doha knows of a garage to take the car to be checked over before any agreement is settled, I’d be very grateful. What would you guys be looking at when getting it serviced? I do believe it has been looked after in its past, however probably not to a standard I would if it were mine from brand new. Are there any weak areas about the car that should be avoided at all costs if this car shows it? I am not very techy I am afraid, I wish I was, however if I could get some questions I should be asking, areas I should be looking at etc, I would be truly grateful.
    Next question, is there a minimum height for the car? My wife is a midget, barely 5 foot, has anyone of a short stature had an issue with the Escalade? Is there an minimum height?

Any help, tips, advice, truly I am grateful!

Chris.

http://www.qatarsale.com/mycar_e.aspx?carid=105726
    The steering feel is normal with the escalade as it has variable assist steering along with a real time damping system(if the stock shocks are still on the truck)

Also about the hight it should be no problem as the escalade has power seats and pedals as I am a little over 5 foot tall and have no problems

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    With less than 30k miles on it I would not be terribly concerned about any mechanical problems (engine, trans...etc). Even if the vehicle was maintained very well there won't be much of a service history. One common issue that comes to mind is the rear air ride. Even with low miles, the rubber components may have deteriorated over the last 7 years, especially in the dry heat of a desert environment. If you hear the compressor turn on shortly after starting the car and there are no messages on the DIC display, then I would say that you have found yourself a gem and you should snatch it up before somebody else gets a great deal on it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43
    With less than 30k miles on it I would not be terribly concerned about any mechanical problems (engine, trans...etc). Even if the vehicle was maintained very well there won't be much of a service history. One common issue that comes to mind is the rear air ride. Even with low miles, the rubber components may have deteriorated over the last 7 years, especially in the dry heat of a desert environment. If you hear the compressor turn on shortly after starting the car and there are no messages on the DIC display, then I would say that you have found yourself a gem and you should snatch it up before somebody else gets a great deal on it.
    I second that

Re: to buy, or not to buy...

Well thank you ever so much, I have not been very lucky in my past with second hand cars, I once bought a BMW for £1000 and over the course of about 2 years I spent nearly £5000 fixing it, then an Audi I thought I'd learn from my mistakes, buy something for £6000, won't constantly have to fix it, however the electrics were so bad that every time it rained (scotland, that is a daily occurrence) I was stuck on the side of the motorway and bought home on a tow truck (great for fuel economy, terrible shame with the next door neighbours looking!)
    I have to admit, I never started the escalade, the owner came to my address and was already running so the next time I see the owner I'll turn it off and on, do problems exist more when the engine is hot or cold? Thank you regarding height issues, the wife will be most pleased, she is a but of a tree hugging hippy and when I told her the escalade ran on pixy dust she fell in love like I did!

Now that I am the perspective new owner of the vehicle, I would love to know what any one has done to their cars regarding upgrades, not massively interested in performance, Doha you are stuck in traffic all day every day. More interiors? I am a fan of retro, but a cassette deck sort of needs to go! Are there any GPS options etc? Would eBay be the best bet for things like new wheels etc?

Again, thank you all for the help and advice.

Chris.

Well thank you ever so much, I have not been very lucky in my past with second hand cars, I once bought a BMW for £1000 and over the course of about 2 years I spent nearly £5000 fixing it, then an Audi I thought I'd learn from my mistakes, buy something for £6000, won't constantly have to fix it, however the electrics were so bad that every time it rained (scotland, that is a daily occurrence) I was stuck on the side of the motorway and bought home on a tow truck (great for fuel economy, terrible shame with the next door neighbours looking!)
    I have to admit, I never started the escalade, the owner came to my address and was already running so the next time I see the owner I'll turn it off and on, do problems exist more when the engine is hot or cold? Thank you regarding height issues, the wife will be most pleased, she is a but of a tree hugging hippy and when I told her the escalade ran on pixy dust she fell in love like I did!

Now that I am the perspective new owner of the vehicle, I would love to know what any one has done to their cars regarding upgrades, not massively interested in performance, Doha you are stuck in traffic all day every day. More interiors? I am a fan of retro, but a cassette deck sort of needs to go! Are there any GPS options etc? Would eBay be the best bet for things like new wheels etc?

Again, thank you all for the help and advice.

Chris.
    Gm did have a nav for these trucks(I swapped my cd/cassette deck for the touch screen unit back of this and haven't had a issue with the radio(its the second version as they had two)
    Primarily because of better audio quality(I am a audiophile)along with infinity speakers

One heads up in case you ever have this problem the starter may or may not warn you before it fails(mine did six months before it failed)

Also the fuel pump is about the same way(mine failed with me on the road(extremely embarrassed to say the least) ended up towing it to the dealer(worst part was a neighbor went by me when the pump died and I was late for my collage class

Ok, thanks for that, when you replaced the fuel pump and the started, what sort of price bracket were you looking at? I'm guessing they can't be too expensive, nearly every other car in the middle east is a GM, there must be plenty of supplies. the nav set up you put in yours, do you mind me asking where you got the kit for it? Did you go to Cadillac or did get it on the second hand market? Have there been any testimonials about what people have done to their cars? I don't want to drape it in gold, just drag it into the 21st century compatible with an iphone and a gps! Maybe some new wheels, the ones on the car are quite grim!

escalade addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Congrats on that. Escalade rides with authority. You will not regret it. I am also in Dubai and just bought an 06 esv model 3 months ago. It had 107000 km when I bought it. No problems yet until now. Have you checked the VIN on yours? Did the previous owner buy it from this region? I checked my vin and found out that mine was imported from Nova Scotia Canada. Expecting some major under body rust issues from road salt common in vegicles from north america. The only modifications done on mine are the navigation and the air intake. The Nav that I have is brandless probably from eBay.

----------

Ok, thanks for that, when you replaced the fuel pump and the started, what sort of price bracket were you looking at? I'm guessing they can't be too expensive, nearly every other car in the middle east is a GM, there must be plenty of supplies. the nav set up you put in yours, do you mind me asking where you got the kit for it? Did you go to Cadillac or did get it on the second hand market? Have there been any testimonials about what people have done to their cars? I don't want to drape it in gold, just drag it into the 21st century compatible with an iphone and a gps! Maybe some new wheels, the ones on the car are quite grim!
    Congrats on that. Escalade rides with authority. You will not regret it. I am also in Dubai and just bought an 06 esv model 3 months ago. It had 107000 km when I bought it. No problems yet until now. Have you checked the VIN on yours? Did the previous owner buy it from this region? I checked my vin and found out that mine was imported from Nova Scotia Canada. Expecting some major under body rust issues from road salt common in vegicles from north america. The only modifications done on mine are the navigation and the air intake. The Nav that I have is brandless probably from eBay.

The car is an import from the states, is there anything I should be looking for? You mentioned no issues until now?? Does that mean it is still going strong or something has just occurred? What did you do to the air intake?

I got my nav unit used but in great shape
    I also have a media gateway(I can provide a link for this) to work with my iPod

My fuel pump fail at 150,000 miles exactly so you should be ok for a while.

escalade addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The car is an import from the states, is there anything I should be looking for? You mentioned no issues until now?? Does that mean it is still going strong or something has just occurred? What did you do to the air intake?
    Get its carfax online. Just pay around 30 dollars for a compete carfax and get the whole service history. It will tell you everything you need to know about the history of that vehicle. Flood, fire, theft, lemon, etc... Just type in the VIN of that escalade on the carfax website. It's very important. Gives you peace of mind.

Mine was a steal of a deal. Got it for only 43k dirhams or 11k dollars. For an 06 model, esv, with this milage it should be between 18k to 22k according Kelly bluebook and edmunds. I didn't do anything with the air intake as this type is better than the original. It's just the k&n type intake. It's got a nice whistling sound during air suction. When I said there's no issue until now, I meant it's running great and no problems whatsoever. Glides on the road, smooth as silk like a caddy should.

Quote Originally Posted by escalade addict

Get its carfax online. Just pay around 30 dollars for a compete carfax and get the whole service history. It will tell you everything you need to know about the history of that vehicle. Flood, fire, theft, lemon, etc... Just type in the VIN of that escalade on the carfax website. It's very important. Gives you peace of mind.

Mine was a steal of a deal. Got it for only 43k dirhams or 11k dollars. For an 06 model, esv, with this milage it should be between 18k to 22k according Kelly bluebook and edmunds. I didn't do anything with the air intake as this type is better than the original. It's just the k&n type intake. It's got a nice whistling sound during air suction. When I said there's no issue until now, I meant it's running great and no problems whatsoever. Glides on the road, smooth as silk like a caddy should.
    I second that on the carfax(it gave me info about mine that the dealer didn't know)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.