Hey wesyder (concerning 6.0 oil pump replacement)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Hey wesyder (concerning 6.0 oil pump replacement) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Since you are the only member that has mentioned that you did the work yourself to replace the oil pump ...
    jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Hey wesyder (concerning 6.0 oil pump replacement)

Since you are the only member that has mentioned that you did the work yourself to replace the oil pump on your Eskie, can I pick your brain?

I am finally getting around to doing ours "on my back". I am a knowledgable wrencher just not a professional. I remember touching base on this job, I just can't find the thread. I am armed with alldatadiy.

I have about 170k on the clock and just wanted your input. I am planning on the following:

-Timing Gear Set with Gaskets
    -Oil Pump (did you replace the screen pick up, or just clean and reuse the old one?)
    -Oil Pan Gasket
    -Oil and Filter

-Anything you can add to the parts list?

Alldata is calling for a 5 hour replacement, I have found in the past they are pretty much spot on with time. Does 5 hours sound correct?

You had mentioned lowering the front diff., did you have to get an alignment afterwards?

Other than having a 12 pack of ice cold bevies in the fridge . Do you have any words of advice?

I do plan a full write up w/pics and I may try my hand at a video.

TIA

Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    Since you are the only member that has mentioned that you did the work yourself to replace the oil pump on your Eskie, can I pick your brain?

I am finally getting around to doing ours "on my back". I am a knowledgable wrencher just not a professional. I remember touching base on this job, I just can't find the thread. I am armed with alldatadiy.

I have about 170k on the clock and just wanted your input. I am planning on the following:

-Timing Gear Set with Gaskets
    -Oil Pump (did you replace the screen pick up, or just clean and reuse the old one?)
    -Oil Pan Gasket
    -Oil and Filter

-Anything you can add to the parts list?

Alldata is calling for a 5 hour replacement, I have found in the past they are pretty much spot on with time. Does 5 hours sound correct?

You had mentioned lowering the front diff., did you have to get an alignment afterwards?

Other than having a 12 pack of ice cold bevies in the fridge . Do you have any words of advice?

I do plan a full write up w/pics and I may try my hand at a video.

TIA

Rick
    Hello Rick, ok for the timing gear set just the front cover gasket is there oh and the crank seal, but the water pump has to go so those gaskets as well, you will also need some sort of puller and installer assortment for the dampener and the timing gear i reused the pickup screen and jus replaced the o-ring,there is a small gasket for the oil cooler lines to the oil pan. The time seems consistent, i was doing the job nightly after work. No alignment was required after lowering the front diff..... Do some research on the pullers and installers, i waisted alot of time running around trying to borrow the right ones, i can email you a pic of what i used, overall not a bad job I'm sure the dealer wants an arm and a leg to do this.... Best thing is no more rattle on startup

Re: Hey wesyder (concerning 6.0 oil pump replacement)

No rattles on start up will be a good day!

Thank you for your input. I did forget that the water pump had to come off (crap just replaced that a couple of months ago) and I believe the crank seal comes with the timing cover gaskets, I will have to check.

As for pullers this is what I have here in the garage: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_13315_13315
    Will these work?

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    No rattles on start up will be a good day!

Thank you for your input. I did forget that the water pump had to come off (crap just replaced that a couple of months ago) and I believe the crank seal comes with the timing cover gaskets, I will have to check.

As for pullers this is what I have here in the garage: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_13315_13315
    Will these work?
    That one should work for the dampener but then you need an installer, i see your pm

Re: Hey wesyder (concerning 6.0 oil pump replacement)

Hey guys after thinking about the title to this thread, I did not mean to alienate any fellow members, wesyder is the only one that I know of that tackled this job and I needed to get his attention.

If anyone else has undertaken this job please feel free to post your thoughts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.