Navigation Update
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Navigation Update in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I was wondering if i updated my navigation system with the latest cd, would it also update the Operating system ...
  1. #1
    Txao1051's Avatar
    Txao1051 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    98

    Navigation Update

    I was wondering if i updated my navigation system with the latest cd, would it also update the Operating system as well? Is there a way to update the operating system/program it/personallize it?

    Thanks in advance?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Txao1051
    I was wondering if i updated my navigation system with the latest cd, would it also update the Operating system as well? Is there a way to update the operating system/program it/personallize it?

    Thanks in advance?
    The maps disc is nav only so the radio software is untouched there is a way but it would take a lot of work
    Plus the labor and time involved would be better put towards a car pc(which btw is wicked) I had a radio that ran windows ce and it worked great but the radio has died and I haven't had the chance or time to fix it(if I do fix it I will upgrade the amp chips in it)

  4. #3
    Txao1051's Avatar
    Txao1051 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man

    The maps disc is nav only so the radio software is untouched there is a way but it would take a lot of work
    Plus the labor and time involved would be better put towards a car pc(which btw is wicked) I had a radio that ran windows ce and it worked great but the radio has died and I haven't had the chance or time to fix it(if I do fix it I will upgrade the amp chips in it)
    How would you put in a car pc?

  5. #4
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Txao1051

    How would you put in a car pc?
    It's almost like building a computer for home use just have to adapt it to use in the truck and also have to use a special software interface to be able to use it

    There is a few sites online(I have thought of doing this myself since I am good with computers I just don't have the time nor do I feel like give up the stock nav just yet) do a google search on carputer or car pc there is a lot of people doing this most of them use a older Mac mini(with intel processor) because it is a small machine with a DVD drive.


    Just keep in mind that you will need a interface for the truck for the audio and the steering wheel controls
    I may someday get into doing something like this but not now although I don't mind helping anyone who does

  6. #5
    Txao1051's Avatar
    Txao1051 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man

    It's almost like building a computer for home use just have to adapt it to use in the truck and also have to use a special software interface to be able to use it

    There is a few sites online(I have thought of doing this myself since I am good with computers I just don't have the time nor do I feel like give up the stock nav just yet) do a google search on carputer or car pc there is a lot of people doing this most of them use a older Mac mini(with intel processor) because it is a small machine with a DVD drive.

    Just keep in mind that you will need a interface for the truck for the audio and the steering wheel controls
    I may someday get into doing something like this but not now although I don't mind helping anyone who does
    Sounds über complex... Looks like ill keep it with the exterior looks... If it would ever stop snowing here!!!

  7. #6
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Txao1051

    Sounds über complex... Looks like ill keep it with the exterior looks... If it would ever stop snowing here!!!
    It not as complex if you know what you are doing with a computer but the work on the hardware side can be a bit tedious as you have to have a place to mount the computer plus router the cables for the touchscreen (which has to be small enough to fit in the stock radio location)

    It's all in how much work you are willing to put into the project

    I know how you feel about the snow my back gives me fits when it snows

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting