Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys, Thanks in advance for any help. I was having an issue with the electric fans on the radiator ...
  1. #1
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Hey guys,

    Thanks in advance for any help. I was having an issue with the electric fans on the radiator constantly spinning (even after the car was turned off and key removed) until the battery would die. I did some research, replaced the resistor for the blower motor and reprogramed the blower control module. Now the fan comes on when the engine warms up, and goes off when the engine is cool just like it should. However, now every time the fans are running, the engine idles rough, and white smoke pours out the exhaust. As soon as the engine cools down again, the fans stop spinning, and the engine idles as it should. Let it idle for a bit longer and it warms up again, fans spin, the engine idles rough and smoke. This cycle repeats over and over again. Any ideas are appreciated

    Thanks,
    Isaac

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermall
    Hey guys,

    Thanks in advance for any help. I was having an issue with the electric fans on the radiator constantly spinning (even after the car was turned off and key removed) until the battery would die. I did some research, replaced the resistor for the blower motor and reprogramed the blower control module. Now the fan comes on when the engine warms up, and goes off when the engine is cool just like it should. However, now every time the fans are running, the engine idles rough, and white smoke pours out the exhaust. As soon as the engine cools down again, the fans stop spinning, and the engine idles as it should. Let it idle for a bit longer and it warms up again, fans spin, the engine idles rough and smoke. This cycle repeats over and over again. Any ideas are appreciated

    Thanks,
    Isaac
    Sounds like the thermostat

  4. #3
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Can you elaborate on this? By using Tech2 I am able to manually run the coolant fan at different speeds. There are three different options; 1, 2 and 3, and 1,2 and three. When I manually run 1, the slow speed fans sick in, and the engine idles rough. When I run 2 and 3, the high spoeed fans run and the engine idles fine. When I run 1,2 and 3, the engine idles rough. The common element for when the engine is idling rough is whenever the relay for coolant fan 1 (slow speed I am assuming). The thermostat is incharge of telling the radiator when to circulate coolant, and when to run the fans, which seem to be running as they should.

    ----------

    Sorry for the spelling errors. Basically, when the PCM tells the low speed fan relay to run, the engine idles roughly. I pulled a variety of codes, amoung them was 0300- random misfire. Further ivestigations shows that cyl. 7 is the misfiring cilynder. Based on the smoke, and gas smell, Im guessing the fuel/ air is fine, and that spark is not producing fire when the low speed cooland fan is opperational. When it isnt, the spark plug produces fire just as it should, and the engine idles fine. What is the correlation between the coolant fan relay and the spark circut?

    ----------

    Pcm?

  5. #4
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermall
    Can you elaborate on this? By using Tech2 I am able to manually run the coolant fan at different speeds. There are three different options; 1, 2 and 3, and 1,2 and three. When I manually run 1, the slow speed fans sick in, and the engine idles rough. When I run 2 and 3, the high spoeed fans run and the engine idles fine. When I run 1,2 and 3, the engine idles rough. The common element for when the engine is idling rough is whenever the relay for coolant fan 1 (slow speed I am assuming). The thermostat is incharge of telling the radiator when to circulate coolant, and when to run the fans, which seem to be running as they should.

    ----------

    Sorry for the spelling errors. Basically, when the PCM tells the low speed fan relay to run, the engine idles roughly. I pulled a variety of codes, amoung them was 0300- random misfire. Further ivestigations shows that cyl. 7 is the misfiring cilynder. Based on the smoke, and gas smell, Im guessing the fuel/ air is fine, and that spark is not producing fire when the low speed cooland fan is opperational. When it isnt, the spark plug produces fire just as it should, and the engine idles fine. What is the correlation between the coolant fan relay and the spark circut?

    ----------

    Pcm?
    Since you have went into more detail with the info and since the fans are controlled by the PCM along with the coil packs it seems to be because of a possible issue in the PCM

    In order to be sure I need to know the codes as it can help me in pinpointing the source of problem and verify if it is in fact the PCM
    The tech-2 can access quite a lot more then a regular code reader

  6. #5
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Yes I was adding informaiton as I worked on the car. There were a number of DTCs coming on and off, the two which have remained constant the whole time are:

    p0300: Random misfire
    p0480: Coolant fan relay 1 control system

    Are the 6.0L and 5.3L PCMs compatible if they are both for the same year? I think I have or can find a spare 6.0L one somewhere to try on this car which is a 5.3L, but couldn`t find part #`s which tied the two together.

  7. #6
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermall
    Yes I was adding informaiton as I worked on the car. There were a number of DTCs coming on and off, the two which have remained constant the whole time are:

    p0300: Random misfire
    p0480: Coolant fan relay 1 control system

    Are the 6.0L and 5.3L PCMs compatible if they are both for the same year? I think I have or can find a spare 6.0L one somewhere to try on this car which is a 5.3L, but couldn`t find part #`s which tied the two together.
    The PCM is the same regardless of engine or the brand(gm uses the same parts on the power train of the truck and suv lines) but it will have to be programmed to the truck not sure if the tech-2 can do that without the dealer's gm connection

    Also if you don't have the gm service manual let me know as it covers reprogramming modules

  8. #7
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Thanks for confirming that, I still hadnt been able to spot that. I use the GM MDI with Tis2web to program the PCM so that should be no issue. We don`t have a manual for the Escalade but do have one for the Hummer. I think we should be able to figure it out, I did a new ECM into a Duramax swapped H2 a few weeks ago with no issues. I`ll let you know if we need some more info though, thanks for the help though! You know alot it seems, do you work at a dealer or something?

  9. #8
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermall
    Thanks for confirming that, I still hadnt been able to spot that. I use the GM MDI with Tis2web to program the PCM so that should be no issue. We don`t have a manual for the Escalade but do have one for the Hummer. I think we should be able to figure it out, I did a new ECM into a Duramax swapped H2 a few weeks ago with no issues. I`ll let you know if we need some more info though, thanks for the help though! You know alot it seems, do you work at a dealer or something?
    Let me know if you need the reprogramming section I have of the gm dealer service manual

  10. #9
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,520

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Powermall, I know you're in the middle of DIY repairs, so I just wanted to pop into say I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing these concerns. If you ever do decide to involve a dealer and would like further assistance, contact me anytime via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

    Best,

    Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

  11. #10
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    contact me anytime via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

    Best,

    Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Hello Katie,

    Thank you for the offer, I will probably take you up on that at some point.

    Isaac

  12. #11
    Powermall is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11

    Re: Rough Idle and smokle when electric fans are running

    I just put a new ECM in this afternoon, reprogrammed it using MDI and Tis2web, and now it wont start. It cranks and the immobilizer light flashes, but wont fire. Im assuming there is sokething else I need to reset? I recalibrated VTD as well and no change. Any advice?

    ----------

    I feel dumb now, just put some gas in and it started right up, haha.

  13. #12
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by Powermall
    I just put a new ECM in this afternoon, reprogrammed it using MDI and Tis2web, and now it wont start. It cranks and the immobilizer light flashes, but wont fire. Im assuming there is sokething else I need to reset? I recalibrated VTD as well and no change. Any advice?

    ----------

    I feel dumb now, just put some gas in and it started right up, haha.
    If you have any more problems let me know

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting