misfire detected
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, misfire detected in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I recently had my check engine light come on in my escalade. i went to the auto parts store and ...
    boge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 escalade

misfire detected

I recently had my check engine light come on in my escalade. i went to the auto parts store and had it scanned, it read mis-fire no 5 cylinder and radom mis-fire. i just changed my plugs and wires about 5k mles ago, ac delco plugs 41 110 gaped at .40 and napa auto parts wires. i had ac wires but they were gg when i needed hh . i purchased them on line and had limited time to service my ride so i just went to where i went and purchased those wires. my question is what is the best way to trouble shoot the problem ? as far as if its a plug, wire or coil pack.my other question is does any one know which cylinder is number 5 ? As far as symptoms im having with my truck is mostly an occasional rough idle and it seems my truck is burning more gas than usual that started a couple of weeks before the light but along with the rough idle . any feedback would be great thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by boge
    I recently had my check engine light come on in my escalade. i went to the auto parts store and had it scanned, it read mis-fire no 5 cylinder and radom mis-fire. i just changed my plugs and wires about 5k mles ago, ac delco plugs 41 110 gaped at .40 and napa auto parts wires. i had ac wires but they were gg when i needed hh . i purchased them on line and had limited time to service my ride so i just went to where i went and purchased those wires. my question is what is the best way to trouble shoot the problem ? as far as if its a plug, wire or coil pack.my other question is does any one know which cylinder is number 5 ? As far as symptoms im having with my truck is mostly an occasional rough idle and it seems my truck is burning more gas than usual that started a couple of weeks before the light but along with the rough idle . any feedback would be great thanks in advance.
    It could be bad/defective plugs bad/defective wires or bad coil packs
    Also the number 5 plug is on the left of the engine

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Re: mis fire detected

It's not going to be a plug or wire. It's the coil pack for a misfire condition. If you want to double check the wires take #5 wire off and measure the resistance or ohms with an ohm/voltage meter. Double check it against a random wire to make sure they match. That will rule the wire out. Misfires codes 99.9% relate to the coil.

Quote Originally Posted by 6lbsofSound
    It's not going to be a plug or wire. It's the coil pack for a misfire condition. If you want to double check the wires take #5 wire off and measure the resistance or ohms with an ohm/voltage meter. Double check it against a random wire to make sure they match. That will rule the wire out. Misfires codes 99.9% relate to the coil.
    Don't bad wires or plugs cause the coil to get damaged??

No plugs or wires don't cause bad coils. The coils are plastic and with age and driving conditions, heat from the engine bay the plastic deteriorates. Or depending on the brand the epoxy coatings crack once that happens the current tends to jump from the coil to the head or any brackets and not transfer to the ignition wire, which cause the misfire. And old school way to check wires or coil is mist water on them and start the car and look for the spark show.

No plugs or wires don't cause bad coils. The coils are plastic and with age and driving conditions, heat from the engine bay the plastic deteriorates. Or depending on the brand the epoxy coatings crack once that happens the current tends to jump from the coil to the head or any brackets and not transfer to the ignition wire, which cause the misfire. And old school way to check wires or coil is mist water on them and start the car and look for the spark show.
    Ahh ok I remember that now as I was told to do that for my other car(79 Chrysler cordoba)

Thanks for the feedback. I will go test the resistance of the wires on the left side of the engine. Ive been searching trying to find exactly with cylinder is no. 5. And is it o.k if it is a coil pack to just replace the one bad pack or do them all?

Quote Originally Posted by boge
    Thanks for the feedback. I will go test the resistance of the wires on the left side of the engine. Ive been searching trying to find exactly with cylinder is no. 5. And is it o.k if it is a coil pack to just replace the one bad pack or do them all?
    Try like 6lbsofsounds said with misting water on the coil packs on the left side and watch for the spark show

And it won't hurt to just replace the bad coil pack

If its only one coil just replace the one, replacing all 8 will get expensive.

If its only one coil just replace the one, replacing all 8 will get expensive.
    I agree they are pricey even if you get aftermarket

flyingdutchman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Just had this issue on my 04 ESV. It was running rough at idle for a few days.Thinking I had picked up some bad gas I drove it for a few days, refilled the tank at a different station and it finally set a P0300 code ( a random or multiple misfire ) Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder(s) is/are mis-firing, nor why. Took it to the dealer who found through the Tech-2 that the coil pack on the number 5 cyl was bad. After replacing the coil, it was idlling smoother but still had a uneven idle and miss at speed. It was found that the remaining coils had corrision on the base of them which were cleaned and new dielectirc grease applied. This corrected the problem

Re: misfire detected

Just wanted give an update on my misfire problem. So after checking plugs coil packs replacing wires and air filter I reluctantly went in to the dealer. After rechecking everything I did and more they came to the conclusion it was a bad valve causing the misfire. So I had both heads remachined. And a few smaller things while they were at it.the exhaust valve in the #5 cylinder was not seating properly due to carbon build up.my truck is out feels good to see the manifold bolts replaced.prior to going in I was avging 8.9 mpg now I'm at 15.3

Rob03ext is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 escalade ext

Would youind saying how much all of this costed you?
    I got misfire on cylinder 8 right now. Trying to figure out what to do.

Two weeks and $2200 at a GM dealership

OneLuv1979 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

What is your mileage on it?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.