Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone Pull a Travel Trailer?

12K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Chicken89 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2006 Escalade with 97k miles, dealer serviced and so far can't find anything mechanical wrong with it. Anyone pull a travel trailer? If so, what length, weight, experiences, and advice? I've owned travel trailers in the past and I've read the towing capacity of the Escalade so I'm doing the research now and will be looking soon.
Thanks

#2 ·
oldrunner said:
Just purchased a 2006 Escalade with 97k miles, dealer serviced and so far can't find anything mechanical wrong with it. Anyone pull a travel trailer? If so, what length, weight, experiences, and advice? I've owned travel trailers in the past and I've read the towing capacity of the Escalade so I'm doing the research now and will be looking soon.
Thanks
Ur gonna need an electronic brake controller, i have the tekonsha prodigy p2, no travel trailers jus an enclosed car hauler, various uhaul trailers and a few boats

#3 ·
wesyder said:
Ur gonna need an electronic brake controller, i have the tekonsha prodigy p2, no travel trailers jus an enclosed car hauler, various uhaul trailers and a few boats
I agree I towed a camper without the controller(I don't advise doing it without one) luckily it was a short distance but the escalade can tow up to three tons without a wight distributing hitch but with a camper it is best to use one along with stabilizer bars as it helps to handle the extra wight of the trailer

I am going to pick me up a brake controller before I get my flatbed trailer to haul my car on

FYI put the stabilizer bars on before you lower the trailer on to the ball fully(best is when the tongue starts to lower the rear) as it will cause extra strain on the rear shocks and compressor

I say this because three months after I towed the camper my rear drivers side shock blew due to improper procedure

#4 ·
the cadillac man said:
I agree I towed a camper without the controller(I don't advise doing it without one) luckily it was a short distance but the escalade can tow up to three tons without a wight distributing hitch but with a camper it is best to use one along with stabilizer bars as it helps to handle the extra wight of the trailer

I am going to pick me up a brake controller before I get my flatbed trailer to haul my car on

FYI put the stabilizer bars on before you lower the trailer on to the ball fully(best is when the tongue starts to lower the rear) as it will cause extra strain on the rear shocks and compressor

I say this because three months after I towed the camper my rear drivers side shock blew due to improper procedure
Cadi man look into that as most flatbeds have hydro brakes

#6 ·
I pull a 1981 31' airstream with my 04 escalade. My trailer weighs just less than 5000 lbs. With family and more gear than anyone should have to take camping (or so it seems)I'm sure I'm up over 6500lbs. The 6.0l is awesome never shy on power. Defiantly need a brake controller. The other thing I have noticed is that the transmission runs cooler in 3rd than in tow/haul mode. The shift patter also suits my driving style. I try not to be in a rush when on a trip.

Attachments

#7 ·
T-Bones said:
I pull a 1981 31' airstream with my 04 escalade. My trailer weighs just less than 5000 lbs. With family and more gear than anyone should have to take camping (or so it seems)I'm sure I'm up over 6500lbs. The 6.0l is awesome never shy on power. Defiantly need a brake controller. The other thing I have noticed is that the transmission runs cooler in 3rd than in tow/haul mode. The shift patter also suits my driving style. I try not to be in a rush when on a trip.
Nice rig

#8 ·
Def nice rig. Towing should NOT be done with the overdrive engaged.

Factory Towing Wire Harness

Just a heads up fellows. Our Platinum came with a plug and play "Brake Controller Pigtail" GM Part #15085418. Might be worth looking into rather than hacking wires.

Instructions on tag:

"Glove Box Jumper - Electrical Installation Instructions
1) The brake controller pigtail and 40A B+ Trailering J-Case fuse has been provided with the HD trailering option"

#22 ·
sorry to bring up a very old thread, but i haven't found an answer anywhere else and this was the first time i've seen a pic of the provided pigtail.
question about this connector. i have it, but i was unable to figure out where the 5th wire goes. so i used the wiring from my silverado. i also cannot find any info on the factory pigtail
my brake controller wires- red, black, blue, white.
the issue im having, and it may be because of the 5th wire not connected anywhere- when i have the drl/running lights/headlights on, there is constant power going to the controller, which is providing power to the brakes. but when i turn off the drl/running lights, there is no power to the controller and no power to the brakes when depressing the brake pedal.
i've tried 2 different brake controllers, and have the same issue with both. did not have this issue when controllers were connected to the silverado

05 cadillac escalade esv

#9 ·
I have a 05 ESV with about 125k on it and pull a 36 foot travel trailer...I forgot the weight but she a heavy one with two slides and hitch weight of about 1100 lbs....I have had no problems pulling. I did however find a leak in the rear air shocks after my road trip to the Blue Ridge Mountians. BTW fuel avg for the trip to TN from MI was about 8-9 MPG....using 93 oct and tow haul mode...I replaced the shocks with the ARNOTT replacements and a new air compressor from them while I was at it. The dealer will try and hit you up for $1600 just for the rear air shocks, I did the rear air shocks, compressor and install for about $900 with a buddy of mine.

My Suggestions... Check your air system for crack or leaks....replace ALL the fluids!! diff, transfer case, transmission... there is a great thread here for it I think by "Cadillac Man"...very easy DIY....I used all AMSOIL in mine and did it all in my driveway, minus the transmission because dealer had done it for me when I bought it.

#10 ·
T-Bones said:
With that size of trailer it's better to downshift but are you using the right hitch?
The tow /haul mode delays the shift pattern to keep the tranny cooler but in some cases it's better to downshift when needed as it also delays kickdowns

----------

jnrsesv said:
Def nice rig. Towing should NOT be done with the overdrive engaged.

Factory Towing Wire Harness

Just a heads up fellows. Our Platinum came with a plug and play "Brake Controller Pigtail" GM Part #15085418. Might be worth looking into rather than hacking wires.

Instructions on tag:

"Glove Box Jumper - Electrical Installation Instructions
1) The brake controller pigtail and 40A B+ Trailering J-Case fuse has been provided with the HD trailering option"
All gm trucks and SUVs are plug and play with the brake controller also nice rig

#11 ·
Thanks for the warm reception. We really like it. Both the escalade and the vintage airstream that is. Double that about changing all your fluids. I also use amsol.
The plug and play is the way to go for wiring in the brake controller. Super simple.
As far as down shifting I haven't pulled it an any mountain roads yet but have no fears when I do. The tow haul mode seems to aggressive for my liking. I am pretty cautious not to beat my old rig. I have a lot of time invested into it. Some money too but a lot more time. The shift pattern in the tow mode may work for some people but I like just straight 3rd.
Hitch. I am using the proper hitch it just dosent look like it in the picture. I have levelled everything out since then.

Thanks again

#12 ·
Good info, thanks for all your input. Love that Airstream, bet you turn heads when you arrive at the park. :)
Really interested in the plug and play brake control, must look into it further. I assume that since I don't have 4wd I don't have a front differential? How easy is it to change the fluid in the transmission?
Thanks Again

#13 ·
T-Bones said:
Thanks for the warm reception. We really like it. Both the escalade and the vintage airstream that is. Double that about changing all your fluids. I also use amsol.
The plug and play is the way to go for wiring in the brake controller. Super simple.
As far as down shifting I haven't pulled it an any mountain roads yet but have no fears when I do. The tow haul mode seems to aggressive for my liking. I am pretty cautious not to beat my old rig. I have a lot of time invested into it. Some money too but a lot more time. The shift pattern in the tow mode may work for some people but I like just straight 3rd.
Hitch. I am using the proper hitch it just dosent look like it in the picture. I have levelled everything out since then.

Thanks again
That's what my uncle does its better for a bigger trailer even though the tranny is designed to use the tow haul mode in order to"save wear" but it does put more load on the engine using the proper hitch is the main thing when towing a trailer this big(and is a wise decision)
I am the same way with my I baby it as much as I can

#14 ·
oldrunner said:
Good info, thanks for all your input. Love that Airstream, bet you turn heads when you arrive at the park. :)
Really interested in the plug and play brake control, must look into it further. I assume that since I don't have 4wd I don't have a front differential? How easy is it to change the fluid in the transmission?
Thanks Again
I may have an extra plug and play harness for the controller if anyone is interested

#19 ·
I may be interested actually, as I'm going to have to haul a trailer with a car on it at some point this year. How do you tell if you have the controller installed? Is there an RPO code for it? Mine has the hitch receiver, but I don't know if it's got the controller or not.

#20 ·
Black88GTA said:
I may be interested actually, as I'm going to have to haul a trailer with a car on it at some point this year. How do you tell if you have the controller installed? Is there an RPO code for it? Mine has the hitch receiver, but I don't know if it's got the controller or not.
If the truck has the trailer package(with the hitch()then it is prewired

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.