Looking to purchase! Need advice!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Looking to purchase! Need advice!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm currently looking at several Escalades online And trying to decide how to ...
    Carguynate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum 00' Catera (sold 2010).

Smile Looking to purchase! Need advice!!

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm currently looking at several Escalades online
    And trying to decide how to proceed. I looking to get out of my 03 Expedition, and have found several short and ESV's that interest me.

My main conundrum is about mileage. I'm looking at a 2004-2006 range, with mileage from 75k-177k miles and $12-18k price. There seems to be a great deal at
    Cadillac of Knoxville. They have a 2005 ESV Platinum, with 177k miles. They have Serviced it for most of its life, and appears to be in great shape, tires, etc, and is
    Priced under book at $12,900.

There are also a few locally near me that have lower miles, but don't have the
    Service history, or have some aftermarket bits that I'm not too fond of.

My main concern is with buying a vehicle right at 100k that it will need quite a bit of maintenance, and that the higher miles may have already had the problem parts
    Replaced.

Any thoughts? Would I take the risk of higher mileage, or stick with lower numbers and spend the extra initially in the purchase price? Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Looking to purchase! Need advice!!

Having just gone through this, I will give you my 2 cents...

- Front difs are a problem and seem to fail in the 80-100k mile range. Find one that has already been replaced.
    - Gauge clusters are a problem on the earlier years. Again, find one that has already been replaced.
    - The rear air shocks and or compressor are likely to fail around 80-100k miles. While not given, it is an expensive fix.
    - The water pumps also are likely to fail in the 80-100k range. You can get a pump for well under $100 and they are easy to install if you can turn a wrench.
    - Spark plugs need to be replaced @ 100k miles. Again, easy to do yourself if you are handy.

I shopped for months, but found a 2003 EXT with 90k miles in great condition for 13k. The gauge cluster and front dif had been done. As fate would have it, the water pump started weeping the second week I owned it. Had the pump shipped to the house from RockAuto and it took less than two hours to install... The airshocks leak and need to be replaced ($425 just for the two shocks) but I used this to get the price down. I would think that a car with 177k miles is going to have more expensive stuff start to wear out versus the stuff above, but that is just my opinion.... Good luck in the search.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguynate
    Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm currently looking at several Escalades online
    And trying to decide how to proceed. I looking to get out of my 03 Expedition, and have found several short and ESV's that interest me.

My main conundrum is about mileage. I'm looking at a 2004-2006 range, with mileage from 75k-177k miles and $12-18k price. There seems to be a great deal at
    Cadillac of Knoxville. They have a 2005 ESV Platinum, with 177k miles. They have Serviced it for most of its life, and appears to be in great shape, tires, etc, and is
    Priced under book at $12,900.

There are also a few locally near me that have lower miles, but don't have the
    Service history, or have some aftermarket bits that I'm not too fond of.

My main concern is with buying a vehicle right at 100k that it will need quite a bit of maintenance, and that the higher miles may have already had the problem parts
    Replaced.

Any thoughts? Would I take the risk of higher mileage, or stick with lower numbers and spend the extra initially in the purchase price? Thanks!!
    I have a 03 that when I got it had over 122,000 miles and the rainbow ford dealer in Lafollatte tn and I got a great deal at 13,099 i suggest test driving it and make sure everything works but for the miles the price sounds great

FYI I am about a hours drive from Knoxville so I am a local and I have been to Knoxville many times
    Carguynate and Carguynate like this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Carguynate, please let me know if you would like the build sheet for any Escalade you're considering! Simply send me the last eight of its VIN anytime via email, and I can pass along that information to you. I'm reachable at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com and happy to explore any vehicle questions you have as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

thanks for the info!

How many miles do you have on it now? according to the guy at the dealership I spoke with today, they
    just put brand new tires on it, a water pump, axle and wheel bearings, and something else i believe. What
    really attracts me to it is the service history. Have any issues appeared from yours? Jarnigan Ford near
    Morristown has a nice one, and also found one in Raleigh. 04 ESV, 105k, for $12,900.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I have a 03 that when I got it had over 122,000 miles and the rainbow ford dealer in Lafollatte tn and I got a great deal at 13,099 i suggest test driving it and make sure everything works but for the miles the price sounds great

FYI I am about a hours drive from Knoxville so I am a local and I have been to Knoxville many times

How many miles do you have on it now? according to the guy at the dealership I spoke with today, they
    just put brand new tires on it, a water pump, axle and wheel bearings, and something else i believe. What
    really attracts me to it is the service history. Have any issues appeared from yours? Jarnigan Ford near
    Morristown has a nice one, and also found one in Raleigh. 04 ESV, 105k, for $12,900.

----------

Around 159,000 it had 122,000 roughly on it when I got it the only things I've had to replace was the PCM and belts along with the tensioners of course I have to replace the rear shocks and compressor (both can be got here www.arnottindustries.com or suncore's website but arnott is cheaper) I got my compressor from my local dealer since I didn't know the history of the compressor(also I am working on a improvement for the compressor air intake box I am in the design phase now the build and test phase is soon)
    The odd thing was that the first owner was a rental place up in Kentucky same with the second owner and I am the third owner

As far as the service history have a gm dealer run the service history(they can do this with the vin) I did this on mine as soon as I got it(mainly to make sure the carfax was correct which it was)

By what you have told me it seems as most the major issues have been took care of so it sounds like it has been well kept up

What I suggest is ask to take it on a test drive(to see how it does(no messages or lights see note below) while you are on the test drive go to a gm dealer and have them pull the service history and (if) the ford dealer provides a carfax this will help you to make sure it checks out also while you are on the test drive(if you can) take a look under the hood and check out stuff under there(eg hoses belts and battery FYI most people put a smaller battery in before they trade them in(mine had too small of a battery for the load the truck demanded a 1000ca battery is best)

The resion I suggest going for a test drive is when I did in mine the service ride control message popped up on the drivers information screen(in the odometer below the speedometer) and I used that to get some (500 to be exact) knocked off the price(after downpayment I was out the door at 10,099 asking price was 13,599)

I hit 158.000 (roughly) miles and just changed the spark plugs and it does help(use gm plugs as they last longer) I noticed a improvement in response plus it glides down the road(it feels like your floating on air) I have made many trips to the smokies and to Jamestown (family)and I get amount 16.7 average mpg

If you need to know anymore and sorry if it sounds like I am rattling on but it's best to be informed then not and have gave some good advice also a few helpful tips
    (Side note I also have service manuals and wiring diagrams for the escalade)

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Around 159,000 it had 122,000 roughly on it when I got it the only things I've had to replace was the PCM and belts along with the tensioners of course I have to replace the rear shocks and compressor (both can be got here www.arnottindustries.com or suncore's website but arnott is cheaper) I got my compressor from my local dealer since I didn't know the history of the compressor(also I am working on a improvement for the compressor air intake box I am in the design phase now the build and test phase is soon)

The odd thing was that the first owner was a rental place up in Kentucky same with the second owner and I am the third owner

As far as the service history have a gm dealer run the service history(they can do this with the vin) I did this on mine as soon as I got it(mainly to make sure the carfax was correct which it was)

By what you have told me it seems as most the major issues have been took care of so it sounds like it has been well kept up

What I suggest is ask to take it on a test drive(to see how it does(no messages or lights see note below) while you are on the test drive go to a gm dealer and have them pull the service history and (if) the ford dealer provides a carfax this will help you to make sure it checks out also while you are on the test drive(if you can) take a look under the hood and check out stuff under there(eg hoses belts and battery FYI most people put a smaller battery in before they trade them in(mine had too small of a battery for the load the truck demanded a 1000ca battery is best)

The resion I suggest going for a test drive is when I did in mine the service ride control message popped up on the drivers information screen(in the odometer below the speedometer) and I used that to get some (500 to be exact) knocked off the price(after downpayment I was out the door at 10,099 asking price was 13,599)

I hit 158.000 (roughly) miles and just changed the spark plugs and it does help(use gm plugs as they last longer) I noticed a improvement in response plus it glides down the road(it feels like your floating on air) I have made many trips to the smokies and to Jamestown (family)and I get amount 16.7 average mpg

If you need to know anymore and sorry if it sounds like I am rattling on but it's best to be informed then not and have gave some good advice also a few helpful tips
    (Side note I also have service manuals and wiring diagrams for the escalade)
    haha thanks a bunch. You're not rattling on. I appreciate the info. My the main thing I'm torn about is the
    gamble on the high mileage 177k one. Otherwise it seems like such a great deal at a good price. I spoke
    cadillac of Knoxville today and he is suppose to be researching more of the history and getting back with
    me. I don't want to jump too fast without researching all my options. I drove an Escalade locally that was
    severely overpriced, but had been purchased new by the used dealer's owner, and the ride control message was showing on the screen. Does that mean a full compressor in your case? Thanks again for the info.
    Much appreciated.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Nate,

I will chime in as well, since I had purchased a high miler as well. We purchased our Platinum with 122,000 on the clock, we know are closing in on 170k 2 years later. We (the wife and I) are the 3rd owners.

Beware that there is the 100,000 mile maintenace service schedule 1 due at that mileage. Which has fluids drained and filled, plugs, main serpentine belt and a few other things involved. IIRC the bill came to about $2,200.00 which the PO had taken care off at the local dealer where the vehicle had rolled out of in 2005.

I have every receipt since day one. Other than the routine oil changes there were not many. A rear brake light bulb ($90.00), 3 wiper blades ($140.00) and a new cigar lighter. All service from the 2 POs were done at the Cadillac dealer here in town.

Since our ownership other than a new set of Michelins, I have replaced the following:

Rear air compressor
    Rear shocks
    Lucas in diffs
    Battery
    Driver front wheel bearing
    Steering wheel control light bulbs
    Gauge stepper motors
    Front and Rear ceramic pads
    and most recently
    Water pump
    Idler pulley (my choice)
    Tensioner pulley (my choice)
    AC serpentine belt (seperate from the main serpentine)

If you can DIY (as I do) you will save big bucks. I was very leery about purchasing a high miler, but we very happy with this vehicle and would do it all over again. I should state that we found ourselves like you, a couple of lower mileage vehicles with some receipts if any or this local, southern -zero- salt, every receipt, well maintained 120k (at the time).

Good luck

haha thanks a bunch. You're not rattling on. I appreciate the info. My the main thing I'm torn about is the
    gamble on the high mileage 177k one. Otherwise it seems like such a great deal at a good price. I spoke
    cadillac of Knoxville today and he is suppose to be researching more of the history and getting back with
    me. I don't want to jump too fast without researching all my options. I drove an Escalade locally that was
    severely overpriced, but had been purchased new by the used dealer's owner, and the ride control message was showing on the screen. Does that mean a full compressor in your case? Thanks again for the info.
    Much appreciated.
    I am going to guess you don't know just how reliable gm's truck power trains are my uncle worked at gm so I know more then most think I do(the transmission that is in the escalade is the 4l65E used in heavy duty trucks(google the model)

The service ride control message does mean that the shock compressor(the active shock damping system goes into passive mode)has thrown a code(you can use this to chew down the price)

I know its a gamble on the mileage but I have seen some with a lot more mileage(which most people without the knowledge of gm's rock solid power trains tend to pass up) but I have took a gamble on two(99 Chrysler Concorde 105,000 miles and of course my truck) the truck has been the better deal for me(due to the all wheel drive)

The main thing is getting the best deal

jd_mpmt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Silver

My ESV had about 111k when I bought it at $15k last year....With about 125k on it now and with a few minor issues (see post on beeping noise) we love it...I replaced all fluids with AMSOIL after purchase and new rear air shocks and compressor from ARNOTT. I also pull a 36 foot travel trailer and it hauls/rides better than my E350 I had been using.

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

I bought my '03 earlier this year with 175k on it, zero service records, and a bit of obvious neglect. I only considered it because I got a good price on it (~6k) and I do my own work. Right off the bat I had to replace:

Rear air compressor
    Rear air shocks (did front as well)
    Front wheel bearing
    Driver's seat cushion
    One URPA sensor

Maintenance:
    Battery
    All four tires
    Drain / fill F+R diffs, transmission, transfer case with Amsoil

Voluntary mods / improvements I've made (there are a few) aren't included in the list. Still need to change spark plugs and wires, fix the A/C, and do some other little things I ran out of time for last summer, but it runs rock solid now. I've taken it on several long road trips so far, and it has never skipped a beat.

wayne607607 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts4

bought my 04 with 140000 and all the above mentioned common problems had been fixed or I did them right away plus I had to do a cat converter
    i'm happy considering the price and the vehicle's great ride and comfort my only gripe with high mileage is little things like worn control buttons does anyone know a source for decals?

also i hear a sound like a shock compressor running I only hear this in cold weather at start up - can't trace it down front and rear pumps are ok is there a compressor in driver's seat for lumbar or something like that I could be hearing?

DrumDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 ESV

My 2004 ESV has 139,000 miles on it and has only needed a rear air compressor for the shock system ($850 to have the dealer do it.). I love my ESV.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne607607
    bought my 04 with 140000 and all the above mentioned common problems had been fixed or I did them right away plus I had to do a cat converter
    i'm happy considering the price and the vehicle's great ride and comfort my only gripe with high mileage is little things like worn control buttons does anyone know a source for decals?

also i hear a sound like a shock compressor running I only hear this in cold weather at start up - can't trace it down front and rear pumps are ok is there a compressor in driver's seat for lumbar or something like that I could be hearing?
    The air shock compressor is what you hear and it is under the drivers side rear fender

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.