Looking to purchase! Need advice!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Looking to purchase! Need advice!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Wow, I guess I got very lucky finding my 05' EXT with only 48K on it for $19,000 just two ...
    my99svt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EXT

Re: Looking to purchase! Need advice!!

Wow, I guess I got very lucky finding my 05' EXT with only 48K
    on it for $19,000 just two years ago. It's up to 60K now and running
    great. I did have a mechanic do all the fluids (tranny, front and rear
    Fluids, radiator, and transfer case for $450) so I have complete faith in it.

Carguynate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum 00' Catera (sold 2010).

thanks for all the advice. So far I have ruled out the Platinum with 177k simply due to the dealership, not
    the vehicle. Terrible low ball offer on my trade in. I'm still on the hunt. I really wish I could buy outright
    instead of trying to unload my trade, but it is what it is. It really does sound like the GM power trains are
    very well made. I've typically been a Ford guy, not as a rule, but just a fan in general. However, the one
    i'm in now was not a good one. I've had anything from a Mercedes to a Honda Element, and this one is the worst so far. Hoping to find the right Caddy!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv View Post
    Nate,

I will chime in as well, since I had purchased a high miler as well. We purchased our Platinum with 122,000 on the clock, we know are closing in on 170k 2 years later. We (the wife and I) are the 3rd owners.

Beware that there is the 100,000 mile maintenace service schedule 1 due at that mileage. Which has fluids drained and filled, plugs, main serpentine belt and a few other things involved. IIRC the bill came to about $2,200.00 which the PO had taken care off at the local dealer where the vehicle had rolled out of in 2005.

I have every receipt since day one. Other than the routine oil changes there were not many. A rear brake light bulb ($90.00), 3 wiper blades ($140.00) and a new cigar lighter. All service from the 2 POs were done at the Cadillac dealer here in town.

Since our ownership other than a new set of Michelins, I have replaced the following:

Rear air compressor
    Rear shocks
    Lucas in diffs
    Battery
    Driver front wheel bearing
    Steering wheel control light bulbs
    Gauge stepper motors
    Front and Rear ceramic pads
    and most recently
    Water pump
    Idler pulley (my choice)
    Tensioner pulley (my choice)
    AC serpentine belt (seperate from the main serpentine)

If you can DIY (as I do) you will save big bucks. I was very leery about purchasing a high miler, but we very happy with this vehicle and would do it all over again. I should state that we found ourselves like you, a couple of lower mileage vehicles with some receipts if any or this local, southern -zero- salt, every receipt, well maintained 120k (at the time).

Good luck
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! As I stated in an update post, I've eliminated the 177k mile
    platinum just because of the dealer not wanting to work with me on trade. I'm still on the hunt though, and most of what I'm looking at has mileage between 100-140k. I almost feel its best to stray away from
    those that are right at 100k, because owners trade to avoid that big 100k service cost. i'd rather find one
    with this all completed. I haven't done my own work in a while just due to living in a town house, and don't have the best spot to work. I may have to change my mind though. Thanks again!

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Carguynate View Post
    thanks for all the advice. So far I have ruled out the Platinum with 177k simply due to the dealership, not
    the vehicle. Terrible low ball offer on my trade in. I'm still on the hunt. I really wish I could buy outright
    instead of trying to unload my trade, but it is what it is. It really does sound like the GM power trains are
    very well made. I've typically been a Ford guy, not as a rule, but just a fan in general. However, the one
    i'm in now was not a good one. I've had anything from a Mercedes to a Honda Element, and this one is the worst so far. Hoping to find the right Caddy!

----------

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! As I stated in an update post, I've eliminated the 177k mile
    platinum just because of the dealer not wanting to work with me on trade. I'm still on the hunt though, and most of what I'm looking at has mileage between 100-140k. I almost feel its best to stray away from
    those that are right at 100k, because owners trade to avoid that big 100k service cost. i'd rather find one
    with this all completed. I haven't done my own work in a while just due to living in a town house, and don't have the best spot to work. I may have to change my mind though. Thanks again!
    All of the dealerships will lowball you on the trade in, that's what they do, and how they make their money. You'd do much better selling it private party. Also, you're assuming that the 100k mile service has been done - the car will not explode if it doesn't get done, it just will deteriorate and not really perform as well as it should. I would never assume it's been done unless you've got service records in-hand saying so. Good luck finding a good one!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Carguynate

----------

Get the blue book value of the vehicle you are driving now(I know how you feel though I got done dirty by carmax they offered my 1000 for my previous car which was a 99 Chrysler Concorde lxi and I just left(very pissed) I knew the blue book was around 3 grand I let my dad trade it for his hummer h2 at the Knoxville Toyota dealer they offered close to 3 grand for it)

FYI most people just lease a car or truck and then when the lease is up they either can buy it or get a newer one
    But getting a truck with 100k or more miles isn't a high cost thing

My tip for you is do NOT mention a trade in till you get the price right on the one you want(I learned the dealer ups the payments on the one you get to cover them)

Also keep in mind if you get one with the 6.0 it has 340hp

caddysuv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 Escalade

I picked up mine 2 yrs ago w/89k for $20k.

Similar to others on the forum, I've had to replace the following:

Entire air ride system: all 4 shocks, steering sensor, compressor, computer module. ~$1500 in new and used parts and some bloody hands
    Front wheel hub @105k (common issue)
    Front differential @115k. ~$1000 for parts and a sore back
    New tie rods @105k
    Steering wheel lightbulbs
    Upgraded front brakes and rotors to BAER Alumnasport
    New gapless spark plugs @110k

A great vehicle but make sure to get it at the right price because you'll need the money for repairs @ 100k

Well, I went shopping Tuesday in Knoxville. I think I may end up in a Tahoe or Surburban. I found a couple that are well maintained one owner trucks. I had a great trade offer as well. I would love to sell mine
    Private party (that's how I did my last SUV) but it has some issues, and I can't sell it to an individual. Front diff and some starting problems. Basically looking to unload it at the dealer, where they will ship it to
    Auction. Going to look and drive one again this afternoon.

Well, I went shopping Tuesday in Knoxville. I think I may end up in a Tahoe or Surburban. I found a couple that are well maintained one owner trucks. I had a great trade offer as well. I would love to sell mine
    Private party (that's how I did my last SUV) but it has some issues, and I can't sell it to an individual. Front diff and some starting problems. Basically looking to unload it at the dealer, where they will ship it to
    Try using yahoo autos that is how I found mine but I wouldn't be so quick to give up on getting a Cadillac man as they are a higher class then a Tahoe or a suburban(plus I have service manuals that cover these trucks)
    One advantage getting a Cadillac is if you get the all wheel drive it has a h.o. 6.0 with 345hp you don't get that many horses in a Chevy
    Not to mention you can tow more and the seats are more comfortable in a Cadillac then in a Chevy
    Another plus is the audio system is better in the Cadillacs then in the Chevys
    Also you can go to any gm dealer to get parts and service

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Carguynate View Post
    I briefly considered a Suburban of similar vintage. I couldn't get over the terrible interior / dash, overall lack of features, and the relatively low-output motors compared to the Cadillac.
    You could absolutely sell your truck to an individual, btw. These are not hard to work on, and there are many people out there with the time / know-how to do the repairs in their driveway in an afternoon. I (and at least some others here) do all of my own work on my cars, and I'm far from a pro mechanic. A front diff replacement and troubleshooting a starter aren't really all that difficult. Of course, you'd have to sell it far under "book" value for there to be any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA

I briefly considered a Suburban of similar vintage. I couldn't get over the terrible interior / dash, overall lack of features, and the relatively low-output motors compared to the Cadillac.
    You could absolutely sell your truck to an individual, btw. These are not hard to work on, and there are many people out there with the time / know-how to do the repairs in their driveway in an afternoon. I (and at least some others here) do all of my own work on my cars, and I'm far from a pro mechanic. A front diff replacement and troubleshooting a starter aren't really all that difficult. Of course, you'd have to sell it far under "book" value for there to be any interest.
    I agree I had looked at a gmc Yukon before I got my escalade and I am glad I got the cadillac over the gmc(not knocking gmc but the interior looks turned me off it was a 98) also the resale may be better in winter due to the demand of the four wheel drive

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    I have to agree with this^^^ selling a car to a dealer with known problems doesn't mean that the next buyer won't get screwed. If you sell it private party and are honest about the problems you are aware of, potential buyers will be a lot more likely to trust that there aren't hidden problems and be more willing to pay you what your vehicle is actually worth. There is also that bonus of not feeling guilty about pawning off your vehicle on some unsuspecting fool...

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43

I have to agree with this^^^ selling a car to a dealer with known problems doesn't mean that the next buyer won't get screwed. If you sell it private party and are honest about the problems you are aware of, potential buyers will be a lot more likely to trust that there aren't hidden problems and be more willing to pay you what your vehicle is actually worth. There is also that bonus of not feeling guilty about pawning off your vehicle on some unsuspecting fool...
    I also agree(odd how it messed up when I put the 98 up)

Well I finally made a purchase this week. I was able to trade the Expedition for a pretty fair price. Ended up with a 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum with right at 119k on the clock. So far I love it. I have extra keys and key fobs on order already. Once that's taken care of ill be good to go. Will post photos shortly.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Very nice, congrats!
    Carguynate and Carguynate like this.

Well I finally made a purchase this week. I was able to trade the Expedition for a pretty fair price. Ended up with a 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum with right at 119k on the clock. So far I love it. I have extra keys and key fobs on order already. Once that's taken care of ill be good to go. Will post photos shortly.
    Great looking truck Nate if you ever need any audio advice let me know
    Also yours has less mileage then mine did when I got it
    Carguynate and Carguynate like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.