Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering Wheel Control Switches/Bulb Replacement W/Pics

27K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  godsdiablo 
#1 ·
This thread is a how to replace the steering wheel control switches or replace just the light bulbs located within the switches.

THIS THREAD IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

**NOTE**

YOU MUST DECHARGE THE VEHICLES ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ENTIRELY

Replacement GM switch part #'s, available at one of the forum sponsers or Ebay.

1999442 - Radio program and source button
1999443 - Radio seek/volume

21997738 - trip/fuel buttons
21997739 - personalization

Light Bulbs, I picked up at Radio Shack , part #272-1092, #7219 Micro Lamp (12 volt-60ma-Wire terminal base) comes as a 2 pack of bulbs.

Ok, moving along.

Tools Needed: 13/16" socket and rachet, T20 Torx Screwdriver, wire coat hanger (cut into 2-6" pieces), long screwdriver.
Optional tools if replacing light bulbs: solder gun, solder paste, solder

First disconnect the negative battery terminal for minimum 45 minutes
This is done to decharge the vehicles electric system and DISABLE THE AIRBAG.

After waiting the 45 minutes with the negative battery terminal removed, locate the the two small holes located on each side of the steering wheel.

Insert 1 of the 6" coat hangers into each hole, notice I curled the end of the hanger to prevent injury to my palm. Push the coat hangers inward simultaneously. The air bag will release, remove the coat hangers.

Gently remove airbag from steering wheel enough to disconnect the 2 yellow electrical connectors from the rear side of airbag, set airbag aside. If this was done properly congrats no BOOM. :)

Disconnect horn connection (red wires within white plastic tube) by pushing in on white tube and twisting to the right slightly, pull out. Disconnect the black electrical connection.

Also note the green arrow pointing to the arrow above steering wheel nut, NOTE location of wheel to arrow, mark steering wheel if not already marked.

Remove the 13/16" steering wheel nut, set aside. Grap ahold of steering wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock postion and give a good tug, my steering wheel popped off easily.

Place steering wheel face down on clean working surface. Remove the 2-T20 Torx screws that hold the back steering cover on. Set cover aside, I put the 2-T20 Torx screws back into their respestive holes in the next few pics.

You may have to to remove the 4-T20 Torx screws that hold the horn contact bars down, I believe that the switch wires run behind them. Sorry I did this procedure along time ago.

Using the long screwdriver, insert through each of the backside of steering spoke and gently pry out switch. Flip steering wheel over pull switch out.

Now you have access to the light bulbs easily by prying the switch apart and noting the order of pieces removed. Begin the soldering process.

As I recall, it took less than a half hour to remove the steering wheel form vehicle AFTER THE INITIAL 45 MINUTE DECHARGE TIME

Reverse procedure for reassembly.

See less See more
#3 ·
MrHolland said:
Great write up!!!!
If you are pressed for time and have a factory service manual there is a procedure to disable the airbag without a waiting period it also has the enabling procedure, this helps if you have aftermarket items installed where it would be a pain if they loss memory from the battery being disconnected

#4 ·
wesyder said:
If you are pressed for time and have a factory service manual there is a procedure to disable the airbag without a waiting period it also has the enabling procedure, this helps if you have aftermarket items installed where it would be a pain if they loss memory from the battery being disconnected
I checked and it says to wait at least 45 mins before servicing the air bag system.

#10 ·
Well fellows all I was trying to do is help a fellow member out that asked for a write up through a PM. I did not want this post to turn into a pissing match.

From my research and being a shade tree mechanic trying to save some labor costs (which is why we are all here), I would like to be safe than sorry and wait the 45 minutes and have a cup of coffee or a beer or two before I have an airbag deploy in my face.

wesyder if there is a way of avoiding the 45 minute delay, maybe you would like to contribute so I don't come off as some moron or troll that wants to waste other members 45 minutes.

Again the OP was just an educational post with real pictures to show that one can do this procedure in their garage with basic tools without paying someone elses labor costs.

#12 ·
jnrsesv said:
Well fellows all I was trying to do is help a fellow member out that asked for a write up through a PM. I did not want this post to turn into a pissing match.

From my research and being a shade tree mechanic trying to save some labor costs (which is why we are all here), I would like to be safe than sorry and wait the 45 minutes and have a cup of coffee or a beer or two before I have an airbag deploy in my face.

wesyder if there is a way of avoiding the 45 minute delay, maybe you would like to contribute so I don't come off as some moron or troll that wants to waste other members 45 minutes.

Again the OP was just an educational post with real pictures to show that one can do this procedure in their garage with basic tools without paying someone elses labor costs.
:) by no means a pissing match... Just passing information, that is what the forum world is all about, sharing experience, helping members and making life easier in the automotive repair world,i have learned alot from members of this forum jus trying to return the favor, besides i only do pissing matches face to face anything else would be uncivilized lol.... If i have the gm service manual that covers your vehicle it would be no trouble to look up something for you

#13 ·
MrHolland said:
Better safe than sorry when dealing with airbags!!
I agree

----------

wesyder said:
:) by no means a pissing match... Just passing information, that is what the forum world is all about, sharing experience, helping members and making life easier in the automotive repair world,i have learned alot from members of this forum jus trying to return the favor, besides i only do pissing matches face to face anything else would be uncivilized lol.... If i have the gm service manual that covers your vehicle it would be no trouble to look up something for you
Agreed and if he can't find it I can to the best of my ability

#15 ·
YoshiMan said:
Now what I have to ask is are the bulbs hard wired onto the little circuit boards? I have heard both stories that 1: they are and have to be desoldered, and 2: they will simply disconnect and pop out
They have to be desoldered as the only bulbs that disconnect and pop out are the ones for the analog clock in the center(which btw is a pain to find)

#26 ·
Thanks again for the great write up...I had mine replaced with switches off ebay..just needed 3 out of 4 done. my local cadillac tech did them on the side for me. had to take the wheel off and airbag out, because there wasn't enough slack in the wiring for one of them. no waiting 45 min w/ battery unhooked, etc. just cleared the airbag code when reinstalled.

#27 ·
djais1801 said:
Thanks again for the great write up...I had mine replaced with switches off ebay..just needed 3 out of 4 done. my local cadillac tech did them on the side for me. had to take the wheel off and airbag out, because there wasn't enough slack in the wiring for one of them. no waiting 45 min w/ battery unhooked, etc. just cleared the airbag code when reinstalled.
He knower what he was doing that's why he didn't unhook the battery but it is recommended if you do it yourself as static discharge can cause the air bag to deploy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.