Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Steering Wheel Control Switches/Bulb Replacement W/Pics

27K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  godsdiablo 
#1 ·
This thread is a how to replace the steering wheel control switches or replace just the light bulbs located within the switches.

THIS THREAD IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY

**NOTE**

YOU MUST DECHARGE THE VEHICLES ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ENTIRELY

Replacement GM switch part #'s, available at one of the forum sponsers or Ebay.

1999442 - Radio program and source button
1999443 - Radio seek/volume

21997738 - trip/fuel buttons
21997739 - personalization

Light Bulbs, I picked up at Radio Shack , part #272-1092, #7219 Micro Lamp (12 volt-60ma-Wire terminal base) comes as a 2 pack of bulbs.

Ok, moving along.

Tools Needed: 13/16" socket and rachet, T20 Torx Screwdriver, wire coat hanger (cut into 2-6" pieces), long screwdriver.
Optional tools if replacing light bulbs: solder gun, solder paste, solder

First disconnect the negative battery terminal for minimum 45 minutes
This is done to decharge the vehicles electric system and DISABLE THE AIRBAG.

After waiting the 45 minutes with the negative battery terminal removed, locate the the two small holes located on each side of the steering wheel.

Insert 1 of the 6" coat hangers into each hole, notice I curled the end of the hanger to prevent injury to my palm. Push the coat hangers inward simultaneously. The air bag will release, remove the coat hangers.

Gently remove airbag from steering wheel enough to disconnect the 2 yellow electrical connectors from the rear side of airbag, set airbag aside. If this was done properly congrats no BOOM. :)

Disconnect horn connection (red wires within white plastic tube) by pushing in on white tube and twisting to the right slightly, pull out. Disconnect the black electrical connection.

Also note the green arrow pointing to the arrow above steering wheel nut, NOTE location of wheel to arrow, mark steering wheel if not already marked.

Remove the 13/16" steering wheel nut, set aside. Grap ahold of steering wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock postion and give a good tug, my steering wheel popped off easily.

Place steering wheel face down on clean working surface. Remove the 2-T20 Torx screws that hold the back steering cover on. Set cover aside, I put the 2-T20 Torx screws back into their respestive holes in the next few pics.

You may have to to remove the 4-T20 Torx screws that hold the horn contact bars down, I believe that the switch wires run behind them. Sorry I did this procedure along time ago.

Using the long screwdriver, insert through each of the backside of steering spoke and gently pry out switch. Flip steering wheel over pull switch out.

Now you have access to the light bulbs easily by prying the switch apart and noting the order of pieces removed. Begin the soldering process.

As I recall, it took less than a half hour to remove the steering wheel form vehicle AFTER THE INITIAL 45 MINUTE DECHARGE TIME

Reverse procedure for reassembly.

See less See more
#31 ·
Why risk exposing yourself to an airbag possibly going off. Just get a small pick with a small 90 deg end on it. Gently slide the pick tool between the soft steering wheel material and pry/lift the switch out of the hole. The wire plug will be really short, so use the pick tool to release the wire plug from the switch. Then get a small pair of needle nose pliers to grip/retrieve the wire plug from in the hole. Plug it back into a new switch or if you prefer, the switch you just repaired with the LED upgrade. It's just plain silly to remove the airbag to do this. GM warranty only pays like .3 tenths to replace the switch and there is no way a tech has time to remove the airbag and make time doing it that way.

#33 ·
Big ko the air bag will not deploy if the steps are done as per the op
I plan on doing mine soon as I like the look of LEDs and one of my buttons has paint wearing off
It will also not deploy if the airbag light comes on while driving

It has to have power put to the wires in order for it to deploy anyways

#34 ·
jnrsesv, thanks for an excellent write up. I didn't change the bulb, I went ahead and just bought brand new switches. Your step by step instructions were spot on and made the job simple. From start to finish, not counting the hour or so with battery unhooked, the job took less than 40 minutes. With these instructions, anyone could tackle this job.

#38 ·
There is a place on eBay that sells white light buttons I want to get to match my 6K interior but the video I watched sometime ago if I recall was talking about unhooking your airbag to keep it from deploying etc. That's why I haven't did mine yet, I will have my buddy that is a mechanic at Cadillac here in OKC do mine next time I have him fixing something. I could see myself trying to tackle this and that airbag come shooting out at 200mp hitting me in the face.... :) If it's as easy as that video, someone please correct me but if memory serves me, you have to unhook your airbag etc.

#39 ·
michael tanis said:
Different part of the button issue. Can the radio buttons be hooked up to aftermarket systems?
Yes with the right adaptor module

----------

Mark Edward Morrison said:
There is a place on eBay that sells white light buttons I want to get to match my 6K interior but the video I watched sometime ago if I recall was talking about unhooking your airbag to keep it from deploying etc. That's why I haven't did mine yet, I will have my buddy that is a mechanic at Cadillac here in OKC do mine next time I have him fixing something. I could see myself trying to tackle this and that airbag come shooting out at 200mp hitting me in the face.... :) If it's as easy as that video, someone please correct me but if memory serves me, you have to unhook your airbag etc.
Bud disconnect the battery cable for a half hour problem solved
I also worry about it deploying in my face (last thing I need is be in the er due to said mishap NOT FUN)
It's just getting the switches to do it
Though I may just get them and have my local dealer do it and save me the risk as they have worked on and around the air bag systems for years

#40 ·
Hello all, I know this is an older post, but I have a question about the steering switches. Do the bulbs just go out? I just bought a 05 Escalade with an aftermarket stereo installed. All the switches work but 3/4 of the bulbs do not come on. Could this be because of the install or do they just stop working? Thanks for any info

#51 ·
Same as Tahoe. The yellow wire will not break. I use to have pictures but I can't find them. The wires for the buttons are very short and when I pulled the bottom right button the wires came out of the clip and I had to pull the wiring diagram to get the right color combo this YouTube video shows you what to do. He didn't pull the bag I think I did that to get some more slack when I was soldering the new connector on.
http://youtu.be/mYjbmiEK4yc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.