replacing waterpump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, replacing waterpump in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I just noticed a tablespoon size puddle of coolant under the truck. 2003 EXT with 91k miles. It has the ...
    90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

replacing waterpump

I just noticed a tablespoon size puddle of coolant under the truck. 2003 EXT with 91k miles. It has the original water pump as best I can tell and that seems to be where the coolant is coming from. I am going to replace the thermostat while I am in there and also the smaller belt for the A/C. The main belt looks new (I have only had the truck for a month) so I am going to leave it be. While I am under the hood, I will also do plugs and wires. I sometimes get a rough patch or stumble while idling.

Anything else that I should replace or evaluate while I am at it. If there are parts that are known failures, I would rather replace them on my schedule versus having them fail while on the road. I did a search and saw where some replace the idler pulley and tensioner, but is that needed? I plan on owning the truck for another 100,000 miles and want it to be reliable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by 90limited
    I just noticed a tablespoon size puddle of coolant under the truck. 2003 EXT with 91k miles. It has the original water pump as best I can tell and that seems to be where the coolant is coming from. I am going to replace the thermostat while I am in there and also the smaller belt for the A/C. The main belt looks new (I have only had the truck for a month) so I am going to leave it be. While I am under the hood, I will also do plugs and wires. I sometimes get a rough patch or stumble while idling.

Anything else that I should replace or evaluate while I am at it. If there are parts that are known failures, I would rather replace them on my schedule versus having them fail while on the road. I did a search and saw where some replace the idler pulley and tensioner, but is that needed? I plan on owning the truck for another 100,000 miles and want it to be reliable.
    I suggest doing both belts and tensioners as I did my ac belt and tensioner only to find the main belt needed replacing also and I think I need new plugs and wires soon as I have 158,000 roughly on my truck and it don't idle smooth

I haven't had a problem with the idler pulley so far but I keep a check on this for any noise which is a sign the bearings are worn(that was what was wrong with mine on the tensioners)

Re: replacing waterpump

can you buy just the thermosat $5.50 or do you need to get the one that includes that housing $15.00.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

90, that was me that replaced the idler and belt tensioner when I did the water pump a few months ago. Its up to you as far as what you want to replace but for a couple of more bucks I like the preventative maintenance route. BTW I had somewhere around 162k on the clock when our (original) water pump went, so that why I replaced all the front end of the motor stuff.

Thanks for the follow up....

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

Clean the throttle body. That is most likely the cause of the rough idle or stumble. At least it is very cheap to do and will rule it out.

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat
    Clean the throttle body. That is most likely the cause of the rough idle or stumble. At least it is very cheap to do and will rule it out.
    I replaced my throttle body not too long ago and yet my truck still idles odd I am going to put new plugs in as I don't know when they(or if) they were replaced

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man

I replaced my throttle body not too long ago and yet my truck still idles odd I am going to put new plugs in as I don't know when they(or if) they were replaced
    Dont forget the idle learn procedure as well

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder

I will do that when I replace the plugs as I have tried that before and the idle doesn't smooth out

Airdorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD 6.0L

I have a 2003 that was a little rough in running and seemed a bit short on power. When I pulled the plugs I was horrified with what I saw. On every one of them the center electrode was so worn that it looked like a broad dome instead of a nice little point. I replaced those, the wires, and the ignition coils. I noticed an instant improvement in engine power and the idling was smooth. The truck will now push me back in the seat when I floor it. Such a good feeling!

My Escalade has 213,000 miles on it, but i have no idea if the plugs have ever been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Airdorn
    I have a 2003 that was a little rough in running and seemed a bit short on power. When I pulled the plugs I was horrified with what I saw. On every one of them the center electrode was so worn that it looked like a broad dome instead of a nice little point. I replaced those, the wires, and the ignition coils. I noticed an instant improvement in engine power and the idling was smooth. The truck will now push me back in the seat when I floor it. Such a good feeling!

My Escalade has 213,000 miles on it, but i have no idea if the plugs have ever been replaced.
    You describe how my truck is doing exactly (after I get my shocks replaced I am getting a set of new plugs (do I need really need new coil packs? The truck don't throw any codes for them)
    But my 03 is like a dog compared to the 02 that my dad got lately(and it hauls butt almost like new)

Airdorn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    You describe how my truck is doing exactly (after I get my shocks replaced I am getting a set of new plugs (do I need really need new coil packs? The truck don't throw any codes for them)
    But my 03 is like a dog compared to the 02 that my dad got lately(and it hauls butt almost like new)
    Only reason I replaced my coil packs is because I had a weird power loss problem once not long after I got it and I panicked. So I threw a little bit of $$ at it and bought plugs, wires, and coil packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Airdorn

Only reason I replaced my coil packs is because I had a weird power loss problem once not long after I got it and I panicked. So I through a little bit of $$ at it and bought plugs, wires, and coil packs.
    Ok I will get new plugs and wires after I get my rear shocks took care of

Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder View Post
    What's this process?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull14218

What's this process?
    Different issue I asked about I didn't mean to threadjack just thought I'd ask when I had the chance

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.