Low beam headlights wont turn on
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Low beam headlights wont turn on in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I ordered daytime running bulbs (from china it came) because I had 1 bulb that was blown for a long ...
    cadtimes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade

Low beam headlights wont turn on

I ordered daytime running bulbs (from china it came) because I had 1 bulb that was blown for a long time. I installed both and that made my low beam (not the daytime light) stay on no matter if it was daytime or dark. Daytime bulbs didnt turn on. I took both daytime lights out but both my low beam lights stayed on even though it was daytime. Thats not the problem though cause I would be fine with that. I was just trying to get daytime light to work.

I started switching out bulbs checking different scenarios and I noticed the metal piece that goes along side my low beam HID bulb (I guess the bulb fuse) for left headlight was cracked. Not sure if it was always like that. Anyways, as I checked my lights again to see if they were working and now my left low beam is not working. So I only have 2 high beams and 1 low beam hid working. After trying for 30 minutes testing my left low beam, I couldnt get it to work.

The right low beam was always working up to this point until I decided to take the low beam bulb, that had a lil crack in metal piece, from the left side and put it on the right side ballast. Well that did work but only for about 1-2 minutes and then bulb went out. I put the original right side bulb back on the right side and now that does not turn on. So now the right side is not working. At this point I tried every scenario with switching the bulbs and ballast from side to side. Low beam or daytime lights never worked again.

I decided to buy a new set of low beam hid. Installed them not long ago and they dont turn on. Only my high beam still works. I have checked the TBC fuse, LT HDLP and RT HDLP and they are good. Any idea?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by cadtimes
    I ordered daytime running bulbs (from china it came) because I had 1 bulb that was blown for a long time. I installed both and that made my low beam (not the daytime light) stay on no matter if it was daytime or dark. Daytime bulbs didnt turn on. I took both daytime lights out but both my low beam lights stayed on even though it was daytime. Thats not the problem though cause I would be fine with that. I was just trying to get daytime light to work.

I started switching out bulbs checking different scenarios and I noticed the metal piece that goes along side my low beam HID bulb for left headlight was cracked a lil. Not sure if it was always like that. Anyways, as I checked my lights again to see if they were working and now my left low beam is not working. So I only have 2 high beams and 1 low beam hid working. After trying for 30 minutes testing my left low beam, I couldnt get it to work.

The right low beam was always working up to this point until I decided to take the low beam bulb, that had a lil crack in metal piece, from the left side and put it on the right side ballast. Well that did work but only for about 1-2 minutes and then bulb went out. I put the original right side bulb back on the right side and now that does not turn on. So now the right side is not working. At this point I tried every scenario with switching the bulbs and ballast from side to side. Low beam or daytime lights never worked again.

I decided to buy a new set of low beam hid. Installed them not long ago and they dont turn on. Only my high beam still works. I have checked the TBC fuse, LT HDLP and RT HDLP and they are good. Any idea?
    03 and up have separate fuses for the hid ballasts that is separate from the other fuses(there is two on the low beams one is power at all times 30 amp and there is a smaller fuse that works the turn on feed) also is there anything covering the sub load sensor on the dash?

Re: Low beam headlights wont turn on

I have an 02. Is that what you meant to say?

Nothing is on my dash.

----------

I found an old regular 9006 bulb and tested that. Both sides worked with the low beam. If I can just get the low beam hid to work I will be fine. I dont need daytime light to work.

Cad Man are you saying my 02 has separate HID ballast fuses? If so, where do I check?

I have an 02. Is that what you meant to say?

Nothing is on my dash.

----------

I found an old regular 9006 bulb and tested that. Both sides worked with the low beam. If I can just get the low beam hid to work I will be fine. I dont need daytime light to work.

Cad Man are you saying my 02 has separate HID ballast fuses? If so, where do I check?
    I thought you was talking about a 03 the 02 doesn't have hids from factory there might be something wrong with the hid ballasts causing them not to work try them on another car or truck to see if they work

6lbsofSound is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

To convert to hid low beams on a 2002 you need to wire a seperate relay for each bulb. The ballast isn't the issue. Most kits come with relays if not pick up 2 30amp relays and harnesses.

It was working for 2 years until all this started happening. Then I bought a new kit thinking that was the problem. I bought the same exact kit.

----------

The more I think about what the problem is and the steps Ive taken, the more confused I get. I have no idea.

----------

I cant just try it on any car right? Dont different cars have different bulbs? I dont have a lot full of lades haha. I doubt any cars in my yard has the same bulb.

It was working for 2 years until all this started happening. Then I bought a new kit thinking that was the problem. I bought the same exact kit.

----------

The more I think about what the problem is and the steps Ive taken, the more confused I get. I have no idea.

----------

I cant just try it on any car right? Dont different cars have different bulbs? I dont have a lot full of lades haha. I doubt any cars in my yard has the same bulb.
    Check the manual that would tell you the bulb size but it can also be incorrect connection in the harness(I had this happen on my high beam in my 03)

I knew it had to be something simple. I just couldnt put my hands on it. I grabbed a chair, sat right beside headlight, thought hard .. and walla. I had to reverse ballast plug that goes into the harness. Both work now and my old set probably works too Thanks for the suggestions cadillac man

I knew it had to be something simple. I just couldnt put my hands on it. I grabbed a chair, sat right beside headlight, thought hard .. and walla. I had to reverse ballast plug that goes into the harness. Both work now and my old set probably works too Thanks for the suggestions cadillac man
    I knew it had to be the connections as I ran into this issue when I installed the hid kit I have on my high beams in my 03 (I also have hids in my fog lights) the main thing I can't stress enough is make sure the aim is correct as I have been seeing Chevy trucks with one fog light pointing into the sky(not going to help one bit in heavy fog)which also dazzle oncoming drivers(which can cause a wreck)

I am always glad to help be safe

LadeOnBlades is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Have you checked your turnsignal switch? I had an issue were I have no headlights and found out High beam and Low Beams Power through the Turn Signal Switch....at least on 99-00 Escalades

Quote Originally Posted by LadeOnBlades
    Have you checked your turnsignal switch? I had an issue were I have no headlights and found out High beam and Low Beams Power through the Turn Signal Switch....at least on 99-00 Escalades
    They didn't change after 00

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.