Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2002 Escalade lights flickering

15K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
When I start my truck the voltage gauge automatically starts to move up and down between 14 and at times as high as 17 volts causing all lights to flicker inside and out. If I press the gass pedal so the RPM goes over 4k the gauge and flickering becomes weaker but while driving the gauge eventually starts to move more and more causing the lights to flicker even more. I changed the alternator and the battery seems to be fine.

Can anyone help please!

#2 ·
K_bassuka said:
When I start my truck the voltage gauge automatically starts to move up and down between 14 and at times as high as 17 volts causing all lights to flicker inside and out. If I press the gass pedal so the RPM goes over 4k the gauge and flickering becomes weaker but while driving the gauge eventually starts to move more and more causing the lights to flicker even more. I changed the alternator and the battery seems to be fine.

Can anyone help please!
Clean the cables as that it is what is the culprit

#15 ·
Do you have an aftermarket stereo in your SUV? Amps and sub combo? Your lights flickering means your electrical system doesn't have enough amperage to support the stereo. Just watching the video every time the bass hits the lights flicker. You have a few options to correct this or minimize it.

Add 0 gauge cables aka big 3 and or get a higher amperage alternator. Or you can try adding a capacitor which should help and really reduce the flickering effect. Depending on the stereo setup a 1 farad should do, but going with a bigger one never hurts either.

#17 ·
6lbsofSound said:
Do you have an aftermarket stereo in your SUV? Amps and sub combo? Your lights flickering means your electrical system doesn't have enough amperage to support the stereo. Just watching the video every time the bass hits the lights flicker. You have a few options to correct this or minimize it.

Add 0 gauge cables aka big 3 and or get a higher amperage alternator. Or you can try adding a capacitor which should help and really reduce the flickering effect. Depending on the stereo setup a 1 farad should do, but going with a bigger one never hurts either.
I agree I used a capacitor in the install when I did my audio system in my car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.