condensation in fog light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, condensation in fog light in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I noticed lately that my passenger side fog light has condensation and a bit of water in it What can ...
    the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I noticed lately that my passenger side fog light has condensation and a bit of water in it
    What can cause this?

I had the truck washed today before I went to pick up my replacement DVD player and didn't notice it till I got home and seen it I thought it might have got in there at the wash

I removed the bulb (which is a hid) to make sure there was no water on it before I turned them on to let the bulb heat the housing up In hopes of it drying out the housing but no luck

I am going to see if the warranty is good to see if I can get a replacement if not I will just buy a new one

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rfishoutofwater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EVS Platinum Rip Tide Blue
    Not uncommon. I had to replace both of mine due to the lens coming apart from the housing. I paid like 60 for a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by rfishoutofwater
    Not uncommon. I had to replace both of mine due to the lens coming apart from the housing. I paid like 60 for a pair.
    Is this caused by my hid bulbs or not(I doubt it though as both would be doing it)

rfishoutofwater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EVS Platinum Rip Tide Blue
    No more than likely the seal on the cover is failing allowing moisture in. Eventually it can fill with water and blow a bulb.

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Re: condensation in fog light

Before replacing it, I'd try removing it, taking out the bulb, and drying it out with a hairdryer. Then put a bead of silicone around where the lens is bonded to the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by rfishoutofwater
    No more than likely the seal on the cover is failing allowing moisture in. Eventually it can fill with water and blow a bulb.
    Not good considering how these hid bulbs shatter

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA
    Before replacing it, I'd try removing it, taking out the bulb, and drying it out with a hairdryer. Then put a bead of silicone around where the lens is bonded to the housing.
    Ok I will try that as soon as the rain lets up

It didn't seem to be coming from the lens area but the bulb area but I will take the extra precaution and put some silicone around the lens

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    Thats what I did, hell of alot better than spending $$ on replacement fog lamp assemblies.

*NOTE* Use clear silicone to adhere lens to fog lamp housing. I had some black RTV laying around the first time, and it kinda gooed into the housing. I had to remove the lens and reseal with clear silicone and looks just like new.

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv

Thats what I did, hell of alot better than spending $$ on replacement fog lamp assemblies.

*NOTE* Use clear silicone to adhere lens to fog lamp housing. I had some black RTV laying around the first time, and it kinda gooed into the housing. I had to remove the lens and reseal with clear silicone and looks just like new.
    Ok I will try to remove the housing and do that tomorrow.

spirit man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Re: condensation in fog light

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Ok I will try to remove the housing and do that tomorrow.
    Did you give this a try? I got a brand spanking new pair of TYC fog lights. After the first rain they were in, there was mad condensation on the inside. I would hate to go through the hassle of buying another pair when I could get this resolved. I too have 880 HID bulbs as well. Should I just run some clear silicone on the outside or do i need to take the fog lights off and run some water in it to check for leakage?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit man

Did you give this a try? I got a brand spanking new pair of TYC fog lights. After the first rain they were in, there was mad condensation on the inside. I would hate to go through the hassle of buying another pair when I could get this resolved. I too have 880 HID bulbs as well. Should I just run some clear silicone on the outside or do i need to take the fog lights off and run some water in it to check for leakage?
    I ended up not needing to as there was dirt on the bulb base I cleaned it and haven't had this happen since

spirit man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Well shoot...I'll have to play with mine after work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.