Question for the guys who replaced their oil pumps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By wesyder
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Question for the guys who replaced their oil pumps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I know there are a couple of you guys that have replaced your entire oil (sump) pump or replaced an ...
    jnrsesv is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Question for the guys who replaced their oil pumps

I know there are a couple of you guys that have replaced your entire oil (sump) pump or replaced an o-ring where it connects to the motor. What were your symptoms?

Heres my deal:

Starting a couple of weeks ago, starting the vehicle after an overnight sit, occasionally (2 out of 7 cold starts), I hear a ticking which sounds very much like low oil ticking for 1~2 seconds. My gauge seems to take that 1~2 seconds to respond and get to the 40 PSI. On warm/hot starts no problems at all, no oil tick. The oil pressure gauge jumps to 40 PSI immediately. The dipstick was reading full."Oil Life" stated that I was at about 20% left.

I changed the oil & filter, Mobil1 full syn (the vehicle has been running on full syn since the 2nd oil change of its life). The oil changes are the standard 5,000 mile intervals (religiously)! I am currently at 163k and somewhere around 5,933 hours on engine.

Now its happening more frequently.

I am thinking about replacing oil (sump) pump.

-How long of a job is it?

-What else did you guys replace while you (or the mehcanics) had the front of the engine torn down?

TIA
    Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    I know there are a couple of you guys that have replaced your entire oil (sump) pump or replaced an o-ring where it connects to the motor. What were your symptoms?

Heres my deal:

Starting a couple of weeks ago, starting the vehicle after an overnight sit, occasionally (2 out of 7 cold starts), I hear a ticking which sounds very much like low oil ticking for 1~2 seconds. My gauge seems to take that 1~2 seconds to respond and get to the 40 PSI. On warm/hot starts no problems at all, no oil tick. The oil pressure gauge jumps to 40 PSI immediately. The dipstick was reading full."Oil Life" stated that I was at about 20% left.

I changed the oil & filter, Mobil1 full syn (the vehicle has been running on full syn since the 2nd oil change of its life). The oil changes are the standard 5,000 mile intervals (religiously)! I am currently at 163k and somewhere around 5,933 hours on engine.

Now its happening more frequently.

I am thinking about replacing oil (sump) pump.

-How long of a job is it?

-What else did you guys replace while you (or the mehcanics) had the front of the engine torn down?

TIA
    Rick
    I had low oil pressure showing on the gauge along with rattle on cold start then an occasional oil pressure warning at idle, before i tore it down i ordered oil pump, timing chain and all associated seals and gaskets, when i tore it down it was obvious the o-ring was the culprit but since i already purchased the parts and i am north of 200k i changed it all. Another buddy had the same issue and just changed the o-ring and solved his problem. Hope that helps

Re: Question for the guys who replaced their oil pumps

Thanks for the reply wesyder

Out of curiosity how did the timing chain and gears look with that kind of mileage?

Assuming you did the work yourself, how long did it take from start to finish?

Thanks for the reply wesyder

Out of curiosity how did the timing chain and gears look with that kind of mileage?

Assuming you did the work yourself, how long did it take from start to finish?
    Timing chain side by side showed no difference but i figured while i was in there just change it. As far as time it wasn't too bad, i jus had to chase a few different pullers for the crank dampener and the timing gear, if i had everything there without having to chase pullers, i can do in a day including dropping the front diff
    jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

Re: Question for the guys who replaced their oil pumps

So I do not waste my time, what type of puller(s) did you you end up using?

The front diff has to be dropped? Sorry I am in the early stages of this project and haven't reallly looked into the entire procedure.

So I do not waste my time, what type of puller(s) did you you end up using?

The front diff has to be dropped? Sorry I am in the early stages of this project and haven't reallly looked into the entire procedure.
    Oh man im not sure the name of the pullers i used, and yes the diff has to be lowered to remove the oil pan, for the front diff only the mounting bolts need to be removed to lower it, nothing else

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.