Suspension issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Suspension issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Was driving my wifes escalade yesterday for the first time in a while. I think i recall when you start ...
    vicb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade, 2002 SL 500 Silver Arrow

Suspension issue

Was driving my wifes escalade yesterday for the first time in a while. I think i recall when you start it, it would make a noise in the back from the air suspension getting ready. When i started yesterday i heard no noise from the suspension at start up, but i am not getting any error messages.

when you start the escalade, does the suspension make noise as if it is filling with air, or do we have an issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by vicb
    Was driving my wifes escalade yesterday for the first time in a while. I think i recall when you start it, it would make a noise in the back from the air suspension getting ready. When i started yesterday i heard no noise from the suspension at start up, but i am not getting any error messages.

when you start the escalade, does the suspension make noise as if it is filling with air, or do we have an issue?
    Try this turn the key on with the engine off and see if you hear the compressor if not then something isn't normal and you should be getting the service ride control message(and a code would be in the system that the tech-2 can read)

Re: Suspension issue

Did as you suggested. No noise from compressor and no service ride control message. About 6 months ago we had new tires put on..could that have caused an issue?

Did as you suggested. No noise from compressor and no service ride control message. About 6 months ago we had new tires put on..could that have caused an issue?
    It depends on if they used a lift but I doubt it really causing the issue.

What year is the truck?

Maybe the compressor motor has failed from age.

2005..Have about 80,000 miles on it.

2005..Have about 80,000 miles on it.
    Something seems odd have you checked the fuses?
    There is a relay for this next the fuse box under the hood

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle

The only way the compressor would run every time you started the truck would be if you had a leak in the system. If there is no leak the compressor will not run on start up.

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMC View Post
    The only way the compressor would run every time you started the truck would be if you had a leak in the system. If there is no leak the compressor will not run on start up.
    I don't mean to thread jack, but I've read this quote several times from several different members and I have a related question. I have noticed that when I shut my Escalade off and get out I can hear the air pressure from the rear end release. It is usually about 1 minute after getting out and it is a distinctive rush of air, not a leak. Naturally since the air pressure releases when i get out, the compressor must run and fill the bags up again when i start it. I have always assumed this was supposed to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by mikedyk43

I don't mean to thread jack, but I've read this quote several times from several different members and I have a related question. I have noticed that when I shut my Escalade off and get out I can hear the air pressure from the rear end release. It is usually about 1 minute after getting out and it is a distinctive rush of air, not a leak. Naturally since the air pressure releases when i get out, the compressor must run and fill the bags up again when i start it. I have always assumed this was supposed to happen. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    I am thinking the shocks has a leak that is sealed when a certain amount of wight is in the truck

This how I checked mine get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the shocks fully where the bladders are then start the truck (while sitting in it) wait till the air compressor shuts off wait a few minutes,

then get out and watch and wait till you hear the air noise and see if there is bubbles if there is any there there is a leak and the shocks need replacing(mine blew out at night I inspected the shocks but till I soaked them with the soapy water I didn't find the leak) I hope I have helped

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I am thinking the shocks has a leak that is sealed when a certain amount of wight is in the truck

This how I checked mine get some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray the shocks fully where the bladders are then start the truck (while sitting in it) wait till the air compressor shuts off wait a few minutes,

then get out and watch and wait till you hear the air noise and see if there is bubbles if there is any there there is a leak and the shocks need replacing(mine blew out at night I inspected the shocks but till I soaked them with the soapy water I didn't find the leak) I hope I have helped
    I thought about that, however if that were case, the pressure would release immediately after exiting the vehicle. It just seems too controlled for it to not be intentional. It sounds like a valve opens and lets the air out.

I thought about that, however if that were case, the pressure would release immediately after exiting the vehicle. It just seems too controlled for it to not be intentional. It sounds like a valve opens and lets the air out.
    It depends on where the leak is at but if it is a valve then the module may be the culprit(this is next to the rear air system) the best way may be to probe the system and see what's up

Quote Originally Posted by TLMC View Post

I could have sworn in the past at start up the compressor would make noise. So you are saying that isn't the case and I have no problem?

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle

You have no problem

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold

I would say Perfectly normal mine does the same, also my compressor pumps up every time because it dumps the air a few minutes after i turn off the vehicle i have the long wheel base so probably more activity then the short wheel base due to more weight over the rear wheels

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder

I would say Perfectly normal mine does the same, also my compressor pumps up every time because it dumps the air a few minutes after i turn off the vehicle i have the long wheel base so probably more activity then the short wheel base due to more weight over the rear wheels
    That isn't how the compressor does on my dads h2 as you can hear the valve clicking as it levels out the rear(even after the truck is off)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.