Air Ride Questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Air Ride Questions in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello Everyone, I just purchased a used 2005 Escalade AWD and have a question with the air system. When I ...
    chrisnlbc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Air Ride Questions

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a used 2005 Escalade AWD and have a question with the air system. When I am towing my travel trailer, I noticed yesterday when I pulled over from after driving an hour or so that the back had lost all air. My chains were dragging etc.

When I turn on the truck, you can hear the compressor going, and it pumps up fine the stops once it reaches level height.

My question....obviously its supposed to pump and compensate the whole time driving. What is going bad? Compressor or Shocks? Also it loses air while its parked overnight? Are the shocks supposed to leak down while sitting?

I want to take it back to the selling dealer because obviously something isnt right.

Thanks!

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnlbc
    Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a used 2005 Escalade AWD and have a question with the air system. When I am towing my travel trailer, I noticed yesterday when I pulled over from after driving an hour or so that the back had lost all air. My chains were dragging etc.

When I turn on the truck, you can hear the compressor going, and it pumps up fine the stops once it reaches level height.

My question....obviously its supposed to pump and compensate the whole time driving. What is going bad? Compressor or Shocks? Also it loses air while its parked overnight? Are the shocks supposed to leak down while sitting?

I want to take it back to the selling dealer because obviously something isnt right.

Thanks!

Chris
    You will need to replace your shocks as they are leaking due to age and wear plus if you don't replace them soon you will need to replace the compressor as well as it will burn it up by trying to keep the truck level

'49 Ford Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Re: Air Ride Questions

Well, here is my two cents. There is probably a leak in a fitting/tubing/and/or shocks. The valves in the compressor may be leaking back, and there may be no leaks at all external to the compressor. It's a pain in the butt, but get under the truck and load up a spray jug with soapy water and spray it everywhere related to the system. You may have to pull out the compressor/bracket assy behind the drivers side rear wheel. Three bolts, you don't have to take the bolts all the way out, just loosen them and lift it up and slide it out. See my posts on other threads about what's going on with the ride system. If you need a compressor, get the Arnot out of Florida.

Thanks Guys. I will do the spray jug test. Today I just drove the truck and the "Service Ride Control" alert came on the the panel. Does that mean something finally went bad?

Thanks Guys. I will do the spray jug test. Today I just drove the truck and the "Service Ride Control" alert came on the the panel. Does that mean something finally went bad?
    Get the codes pulled most likely the exhaust valve solenoid had failed meaning the compressor will need replacing(unless its is a sensor)

To be more precise, the exhaust solenoid is the one single source of the most common failures in this system. Not only did the GM engineers f' up in placing the compressor in the worst possible location for water contamination, but the solenoid which is attached to the compressor IS NOT water proof. Hence, early failure. Caddy parts dept wants 500 bucks for a compressor, cause they DO NOT sell the solenoid by itself. GET the Arnott compressor, which has a dryer rebuild kit, fix it yourself for about 200 bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    Get the codes pulled most likely the exhaust valve solenoid had failed meaning the compressor will need replacing(unless its is a sensor)
    Thanks, whats a cheap scan tool I can buy? What type do i need?

Chris

----------

I will do that , thanks for the info!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by '49 Ford Coupe View Post
    To be more precise, the exhaust solenoid is the one single source of the most common failures in this system. Not only did the GM engineers f' up in placing the compressor in the worst possible location for water contamination, but the solenoid which is attached to the compressor IS NOT water proof. Hence, early failure. Caddy parts dept wants 500 bucks for a compressor, cause they DO NOT sell the solenoid by itself. GET the Arnott compressor, which has a dryer rebuild kit, fix it yourself for about 200 bucks...
    Thanks 49 I appreciate your advice.

----------

Thanks 49 I appreciate your advice.

Pull the compressor/solenoid out and ohm the solenoid. You will most likely find an open circuit. The 'puter monitors that circuit, and if it sees an open circuit, it will not tell the control relay under the hood to pull in, and shoots the error message.

Chris no basic scan tool can get that code that I know of(I have one myself no dice) the only way is with the tech-2

Pull the compressor/solenoid out and ohm the solenoid. You will most likely find an open circuit. The 'puter monitors that circuit, and if it sees an open circuit, it will not tell the control relay under the hood to pull in, and shoots the error message.
    Whats odd is that my compressor turns on when starting the truck for 10 seconds and airs up the back. Would it still do this if it had this open circuit?

Whats odd is that my compressor turns on when starting the truck for 10 seconds and airs up the back. Would it still do this if it had this open circuit?
    Nope it don't do a thing I know mine is like this.

If it airs back up, or the compressor comes on AT ALL, then the solenoid is good.... hmmmm

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

If it airs back up, or the compressor comes on AT ALL, then the solenoid is good.... hmmmm
    Is it possible that the shocks / lines are leaking, but the compressor hasn't died yet? I would think that leaking shocks may cause the level sensors to never reach their cut-off point, which in turn would cause a constant run condition on the compressor until it times out. Does anyone know if the event of the compressor timing out trips the SRC message?

In this scenario, I'd pull the harness to the compressor until I could get the shocks / lines inspected for leaks. It appears that (for now at least) the compressor may still be OK (since it runs), but allowing the compressor to constantly run like that will kill it. When I was troubleshooting my own SRC message this summer, I plugged in an Auto Enginuity tool on loan from a friend which told me that I had an open exhaust solenoid on the compressor. I never once heard my compressor running. Turned out I needed both rear shocks and a replacement compressor.

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

I have a similar condition. I have replaced my shocks with Arnott's replacement OEM pieces and I get some lift but not what it should be. The air bags never fully inflate on my shocks so I suspect lines and compressor. My compressor runs but is noisy. I spoke to Arnott about this and they think my compressor is weak and is not creating enough pressure and is timing out...I have no codes.

My next step is to replace the compressor, check the lines and replace them as well. The Arnott folks are great to deal with and even offered me additional discount on the compressor since I purchased the shocks from them. I am not sure if Arnott sells the lines. Has anyone here had to replace them and if so where did you purchase same?

I haven't looked at the compressor yet to see how tough it is to replace... shouldn't be a big deal from what I have read here.

This is a great forum...lot's of good info here and thanks to all that contribute....I would know nothing about this Air Ride system had I not read about it here.

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    I have a similar condition. I have replaced my shocks with Arnott's replacement OEM pieces and I get some lift but not what it should be. The air bags never fully inflate on my shocks so I suspect lines and compressor. My compressor runs but is noisy. I spoke to Arnott about this and they think my compressor is weak and is not creating enough pressure and is timing out...I have no codes.

My next step is to replace the compressor, check the lines and replace them as well. The Arnott folks are great to deal with and even offered me additional discount on the compressor since I purchased the shocks from them. I am not sure if Arnott sells the lines. Has anyone here had to replace them and if so where did you purchase same?

I haven't looked at the compressor yet to see how tough it is to replace... shouldn't be a big deal from what I have read here.

This is a great forum...lot's of good info here and thanks to all that contribute....I would know nothing about this Air Ride system had I not read about it here.

Stay tuned.
    Take some soapy water and give the lines a good soaking if no bubbles appear then the compressor is getting worn out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.