Removing 2005 Escalade Radio
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Removing 2005 Escalade Radio in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey my name's Dom, own a 2005 white Escalade, love the car and glad to have found this forum. Few ...
    dsciola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 white Cadillac Escalade

Removing 2005 Escalade Radio

Hey my name's Dom, own a 2005 white Escalade, love the car and glad to have found this forum. Few years back, got a real nice iSimple sound system installed to play my iPod thru the XM radio.

Over the last few weeks, the system hasn't worked. Still plays music when I control it directly thru iPod, but no longer works when I control the system via the Radio Dashboard. When I set it to Dashboard Control, if you will, instead of iPod Control, it tells me the iPod is not connected. My guess is it really is connected since I can still play music on my iPod via iPod Control.

Dealer suggested taking apart the Radio Dashboard to allow the iSimple Gateway system to reset itself. Does anyone know how to remove the Radio Dashboard and can they explain it in simple fashion? I would like to remove it myself, but dont wanna break itit; would rather just swallow my pride and take to a dealer to fix if need be.

Thanks, look forward to being a part of this Forum

Dom

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

chasewhatever23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 escalade, 05 escalade ext, 05 cts-v

Re: Removing 2005 Escalade Radio

if you talking about taking the radio out its really simple. move the steering wheel as low as it will go, pull the shifter all the way down as far as it will go. now slightly pull on the dash bezel on everyside. as soon as you get all the clips out of there holes just pull it out. youll have to move it back and forth to get around the gauge area. then all you need is a 7mm socket and nut driver.

"pull the shifter all the way down as far as it will go. now slightly pull on the dash bezel on everyside. as soon as you get all the clips out of there holes just pull it out. youll have to move it back and forth to get around the gauge area."

Dont get that last part. Do you know of pictures / a video that can clarify the rest of that?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    The way I do it is pull the shifter in first and start pulling the bezel off at a corner FYI be careful around the cluster as the bezel goes in around the face and can be a bit tricky then the radio has three 7mm screws holding it into the dash it will slide out afterwards then you unclip the harnesses and pull them out of the radio and plug the gateway harnesses into the radio then plug the factory harnesses into the gateway harnesses

The put the radio back in reverse the steps.

Thanks for the replies and clarification. I'm a little hesitant to try and reset it myself since I don't know much about the inner-workings of the car. I may get someone at a Car Audio shop to fix it. Better to not take risk then wind up having to get a whole new one.

Having said that, I went to Car Toys the other day to see what they'd say. When I explained to them what was going on, they hinted that the system itself may be altogether busted and may need to be replaced...needless to say, I'm a bit skeptical...

The guy basically said that iSimple systems aren't that good, and also are prone to "short-circuit" an iPod, believe that was his exact words, in a nut-shell render them useless. Given that and my situation, he said I may need a whole new system installed...he recommends for his customers USA something as the go-to sound system. He said he could check to see if it needed to be reset, needed a new cable, or needed a whole new system.

So now it may need to be reset, may need a new cable, or a whole new system...he says he can check for all that and also install a new system. He recommended that I just go with the new system since I will save an hour or 2 of labor costs instead of having him check everything, especially given that he felt fairly sure it needed a new system. His reasoning was that if you can still get sound out of it, but not have the car control display work, then there must be something wrong with the system and not just the cable, so in order to fix the display I must get a whole new system...also in his opinion, iSimple sucks and is known to cause problems.

So is this guy pulling my leg or does this sound believable? I don;t know much about car audio systems, let alone how good or how bad iSimple is and whether it really has a history of frying iPods...would love some guidance from the more knowledgeable ppl on this board...

Thanks,

Dom

Quote Originally Posted by dsciola
    Thanks for the replies and clarification. I'm a little hesitant to try and reset it myself since I don't know much about the inner-workings of the car. I may get someone at a Car Audio shop to fix it. Better to not take risk then wind up having to get a whole new one.

Having said that, I went to Car Toys the other day to see what they'd say. When I explained to them what was going on, they hinted that the system itself may be altogether busted and may need to be replaced...needless to say, I'm a bit skeptical...

The guy basically said that iSimple systems aren't that good, and also are prone to "short-circuit" an iPod, believe that was his exact words, in a nut-shell render them useless. Given that and my situation, he said I may need a whole new system installed...he recommends for his customers USA something as the go-to sound system. He said he could check to see if it needed to be reset, needed a new cable, or needed a whole new system.

So now it may need to be reset, may need a new cable, or a whole new system...he says he can check for all that and also install a new system. He recommended that I just go with the new system since I will save an hour or 2 of labor costs instead of having him check everything, especially given that he felt fairly sure it needed a new system. His reasoning was that if you can still get sound out of it, but not have the car control display work, then there must be something wrong with the system and not just the cable, so in order to fix the display I must get a whole new system...also in his opinion, iSimple sucks and is known to cause problems.

So is this guy pulling my leg or does this sound believable? I don;t know much about car audio systems, let alone how good or how bad iSimple is and whether it really has a history of frying iPods...would love some guidance from the more knowledgeable ppl on this board...

Thanks,

Dom
    That guy told you a load of bs about isimple's media gateway I have one in my 03(installed myself)and I use a4th gen click wheel iPod and a iPod mini and neither has shorted out because of the gateway I even got the Bluetooth add on no problems.

He might told you that bs so you would be a aftermarket radio and have them install it so they can rip you off more trust me.

Cadillac Man,

Thanks for your guidance. I appreciate your input.

I would like to fix the car myself. I just need a little clarification if you don't mind. I think my main issue is the terminology, I don't understand all the terms used in your last post. Please explain...

1 - shifter - my guess is this is the transmission
    2 - bezel - not sure what this is
    3 - cluster - not sure either
    4 - face - believe this is the radio, but just want to dbl check
    5 - harnesses - not sure what this is, but my guess is its what connects the iSimple system to the radio, similar one for factory radio, and I'll see it when the dash is removed.

I also attached a group of pics of my cars dash, wheel, etc. Perhaps you could point out the above things by using these pics? e.g. the bezel is in #5, course I may be totally wrong here.

Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images

Cadillac Man,

Thanks for your guidance. I appreciate your input.

I would like to fix the car myself. I just need a little clarification if you don't mind. I think my main issue is the terminology, I don't understand all the terms used in your last post. Please explain...

1 - shifter - my guess is this is the transmission
    2 - bezel - not sure what this is
    3 - cluster - not sure either
    4 - face - believe this is the radio, but just want to dbl check
    5 - harnesses - not sure what this is, but my guess is its what connects the iSimple system to the radio, similar one for factory radio, and I'll see it when the dash is removed.

I also attached a group of pics of my cars dash, wheel, etc. Perhaps you could point out the above things by using these pics? e.g. the bezel is in #5, course I may be totally wrong here.

Thank you for your time.
    The shifter is the transmission
    The bezel is what you see with the faux wood trim around the radio and a/c controls along with the instrument cluster(the gauges)
    The face as you call it is the radio
    The wiring harnesses is what gives the radio and cd changer power and carry the audio signals to the Bose amp.
    You unplug the factory harnesses from the back of the radio and plug them into the harnesses for the gateway then plug the gateway harnesses into the radio.

Tried resetting the system myself, believe it did not work. Removed all the parts in front of / keeping the radio in place, unplugged wires that were connected to radio box, waited half hour, plugged back in, and car control still did not work.

Next step, take it to another sound shop? Maybe the first one I went to instead of Car Toys where the guy said I need a whole new system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached more pics below. I pulled out the 3 plugs in the back of the box in pic 3, the 2 large blue ones and the small green one, waited 30 min, plugged back in. I believe that 'reset' the system but I am not sure. Please clarify if possible.

Thanks

Dom
    Attached Images

Tried resetting the system myself, believe it did not work. Removed all the parts in front of / keeping the radio in place, unplugged wires that were connected to radio box, waited half hour, plugged back in, and car control still did not work.

Next step, take it to another sound shop? Maybe the first one I went to instead of Car Toys where the guy said I need a whole new system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached more pics below. I pulled out the 3 plugs in the back of the box in pic 3, the 2 large blue ones and the small green one, waited 30 min, plugged back in. I believe that 'reset' the system but I am not sure. Please clarify if possible.

Thanks

Dom
    Ok if you are installing a media gateway it's harnesses goes in between the blue harnesses and the radio if you are having other issues it is most likely a software issue in the radio which needs a tech-2 to check(a reset was done when you disconnected the battery cable)

Also your radio has life if it was completely dead then go to a good audio shop that knows what they are doing(this is why I do my audio gear myself as I have no trust in audio shops)
    FYI never leave small green harness disconnected as it is the gps which really is powered by the radio which gets it's power from the larger blue harness.

Forgive me, but I don't entirely understand your response.

Did I actually "reset" the gateway / sound system? If so, then my guess is I have to take it to a trustworthy car audio shop. Trustworthy being the hard part here...

Hope I didn't screw up the radio / gps, think its fine. Music still plays great, listened to it this morning on way to work. Haven't used gps on car in a while, typically use the gps thats on my phone.

Thanks,

Dom

Forgive me, but I don't entirely understand your response.

Did I actually "reset" the gateway / sound system? If so, then my guess is I have to take it to a trustworthy car audio shop. Trustworthy being the hard part here...

Hope I didn't screw up the radio / gps, think its fine. Music still plays great, listened to it this morning on way to work. Haven't used gps on car in a while, typically use the gps thats on my phone.

Thanks,

Dom
    You Have the gateway installed turn the key on and hit the band button until it show gw1 or something like that and it will work with no problems.
    Unplugging the radio won't hurt it at all

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    I have that same radio and i have to use the band button to get to xm then the tune button to toggle between xm,aux, bluetooth or ipod

Quote Originally Posted by wesyder
    I have that same radio and i have to use the band button to get to xm then the tune button to toggle between xm,aux, bluetooth or ipod
    Mine is the same way but it will show gw1 after you first install it at least that is how mine did (I need the updated jumper board in order to get it to work with my iPhone 4 (soon to be iPhone 5)

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Oh ok yeah i did the update for the iphone 4 they sent me a new box and cable and i had to send back the old one i don't think they send the board anymore, you may wanna hold out there maybe an update for the iphone 5 which i may add sold 2 million pre orders in 24hrs.... Holy, ish

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.