Got to see "Stabilitrac" work today...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Got to see "Stabilitrac" work today... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Had to drive down to my office in Pompano Beach this AM from my home in West Palm Beach. Tropical ...
    sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Got to see "Stabilitrac" work today...

Had to drive down to my office in Pompano Beach this AM from my home in West Palm Beach. Tropical Storm Isaac has been pounding us with continuous feeder bands since Saturday AM and had not let up by 10 AM this morning. For those of you that have not experienced tropical storms and hurricanes...the weather comes in as "bands" of wind and thunderstorms moving in excess of 45~50 MPH.

So as I'm headed South on the Florida Turnpike I was caught up in one of these bands for about 40 miles. The speed limit on this stretch of road varies from 65 to 70 MPH with traffic normally flowing at 75~80. The rain and wind was moving at about 45~50 MPH from head on to slightly to my left. I picked the center lane of 3 and held on to the wheel tightly. I noticed that as a gust of 60+ MPH would hit me that the Escalade would move a foot to the right ...then suddenly I would see the amber "StabiliTrac" light come on. The truck would then settle down and track straight. It's amazing how quickly the system makes minor corrections to compensate for the wind and loss of traction due to the wet conditions. As I continued thru this slop the system seemed to learn what to do and compensate for the external forces acting on the vehicle....it was really amazing. I saw a Honda and Toyota Mini Van whiz by on my left only to see them suddenly spin wildly out of control and eat the guard rail as physics won the battle against them. I was able to comfortably maintain 60~65 MPH thru this mess and did not compromise loss of control once. We have a Mercedes S500 that has a similar system that works well but considering the Escalade weighs a ton more than the S500 does "StabiliTrac" works exceptionally well.

I think the only weakness in my vehicle is tires. The previous owner recently put on a set of Kelly Safari P-265/70 x 17 tires and even though they are decent tires for normal use I don't think they perform at the same level as the Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin LTX MS/2 or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I think an upgrade to any of these would make a significant difference in the handling of this SUV.

I am probably looking at an upgrade soon to the Michelin in a LTX M/S 2 in size P-275/55 x R20 with OEM 20" Aluminum rims. This should give me the best of the best in all around performance.

In summary...StabiliTrac works and works well....I just hope I don't have to see it working again any time soon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    Had to drive down to my office in Pompano Beach this AM from my home in West Palm Beach. Tropical Storm Isaac has been pounding us with continuous feeder bands since Saturday AM and had not let up by 10 AM this morning. For those of you that have not experienced tropical storms and hurricanes...the weather comes in as "bands" of wind and thunderstorms moving in excess of 45~50 MPH.

So as I'm headed South on the Florida Turnpike I was caught up in one of these bands for about 40 miles. The speed limit on this stretch of road varies from 65 to 70 MPH with traffic normally flowing at 75~80. The rain and wind was moving at about 45~50 MPH from head on to slightly to my left. I picked the center lane of 3 and held on to the wheel tightly. I noticed that as a gust of 60+ MPH would hit me that the Escalade would move a foot to the right ...then suddenly I would see the amber "StabiliTrac" light come on. The truck would then settle down and track straight. It's amazing how quickly the system makes minor corrections to compensate for the wind and loss of traction due to the wet conditions. As I continued thru this slop the system seemed to learn what to do and compensate for the external forces acting on the vehicle....it was really amazing. I saw a Honda and Toyota Mini Van whiz by on my left only to see them suddenly spin wildly out of control and eat the guard rail as physics won the battle against them. I was able to comfortably maintain 60~65 MPH thru this mess and did not compromise loss of control once. We have a Mercedes S500 that has a similar system that works well but considering the Escalade weighs a ton more than the S500 does "StabiliTrac" works exceptionally well.

I think the only weakness in my vehicle is tires. The previous owner recently put on a set of Kelly Safari P-265/70 x 17 tires and even though they are decent tires for normal use I don't think they perform at the same level as the Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin LTX MS/2 or the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I think an upgrade to any of these would make a significant difference in the handling of this SUV.

I am probably looking at an upgrade soon to the Michelin in a LTX M/S 2 in size P-275/55 x R20 with OEM 20" Aluminum rims. This should give me the best of the best in all around performance.

In summary...StabiliTrac works and works well....I just hope I don't have to see it working again any time soon.
    You think that's bad come up to Tennessee during winter I drive on solid ice with no problems although I was a bit nervous the first time but the truck handled as if it was normal pavement thank goodness I have the all wheel drive that combined with the StabiliTrac system driving in such harsh conditions is cakewalk for these big trucks
    And I have drove in heavy rain before just have to careful like you mentioned the Toyota van(crazy nut) sliding out of control when I drove in the snow I seen many people with those in the ditch(too bad there was no hummers to help tow them out)

sprink60 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Re: Got to see "Stabilitrac" work today...

You are right...the AWD makes a huge difference in the rain. On a slick street at a stop light...when the light turns green you just go...no slip sliding around...just go.

I haven't tried off road sand yet...I'm almost afraid to since the transfer case doesn't lock up. Have you had yours in any loose off road stuff that 2 WD Limited Slip would not go thru?

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Ive been thru off road sand to retrieve a busted sandrail in glamis sand dunes here in california i went in with a flatbed trailer loaded the rail and pulled it back to camp with no problems

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sprink60
    You are right...the AWD makes a huge difference in the rain. On a slick street at a stop light...when the light turns green you just go...no slip sliding around...just go.

I haven't tried off road sand yet...I'm almost afraid to since the transfer case doesn't lock up. Have you had yours in any loose off road stuff that 2 WD Limited Slip would not go thru?
    I have been through stuff you would not think a escalade could handle loose rock, mud I haven't tried sand yet (afraid of the clean up) ice and I ain't talking small patches here and there either I am talking whole road ice with no problems

my uncles both have part time four wheel drive gm pick ups and most time they forget to engage the four wheel drive before they cross the bad areas one about slid in the ditch because of that mishap also the uncle that almost slide in the ditch his truck has a limited slip rear diff it didn't help on ice with no traction

P.s the transfer case locks up depending on the conditions I know which is a big difference between needing a tow and getting where you need to go(also I only had the traction active message one time and it was because I was turning on the highway from my road and was caused by the truck's weight shifting from one side to the other.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.