Snow Chains
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Snow Chains in Cadillac Escalade Forums; SInce most of the Escalades are AWD.. Has anyone had to check into getting chains? I want to go up ...
    ICEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Snow Chains

SInce most of the Escalades are AWD..
    Has anyone had to check into getting chains?
    I want to go up to the mountains but it's being reported that there are chain controls in place..
    Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks
    Larry

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slimm44 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Snow Chains

if there is a chain check point then you need chains. they won't let you by even if you're AWD or have traction tires, etc. go down to a car part store and tell them the size of tires you have and they'll get you the right chains.

airbalancer is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have never had chains. What is it like to drive with them on?

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

The cable type chains ride much better than the conventional chains. The ride will be almost barbaric compared to the normal Lade ride. Chains are designed for traction in snow or on ice, not for ride. Max speed of 35 mph or so. And if the extra length of chain comes in contact with the fender - ouch. Don't put them in the vehicle and then try to figue out how to put them on when your're in trouble. Put them on in the garage and figue out how to get them tight before you actually have to use them. Take some heavy wire to use to tie the loose ends down - not to hook the ends together - just to keep the ends from flying around. Better yet - rent a snowmobile and leave the Lade in the garage.

joshuap is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Buy the "Z Chains" they are absolutely fabulous, especially if on ice. As a side note, a manufacturer has gone and taken a similar design and made them for shoes, which is called "YakTrax". I go to school at McGill in Montreal, and we get WAY too much ice...the Yaktrax blow people's minds, cause u can run on ice and not slip

ICEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I found a website that carries the Z-Chains..
    How many chains am I required to have?
    Two sets for all the wheels to be covered or just one set.?

I've never used snow chains..

Any guidance from you folks with snow driving experience, really appreciated.

Thanks
    Larry

joshuap is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Most people will tell you you should have chains on all DRIVE tires, which means all four in a AWD vehicle. However, if you only have 1 set, you shou'd always place them on the rear. I had them for my Hummer, which I would only need them during heavy ice storms...I don't care what vehicle you have in ice, unless you have some form of tracks, you aren't going to be stopping.

Tjay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

around here its chains or snow tires with 4wd. The magical m&s on the tires is suppose to save you,lol

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

What about some studded tires on steel wheels. I saw a set of four at tirerack.com for like 500. They would look crappy but easier on your driveline plus easy to change out. I know a member with an EXT who has the 24's, aluminum jack, four way lug wrench, plus a set of studded ice tires on steel wheels in the back. A set of fact wheels would be ideal and living in MN (or any other snow or ice storm area) that would be the ticket. I personally run 20" M&S Eagles, driven in ice storms soo severe my radio antennea snapped off, while never even having or feeling the need for chains. But I don't have to do it daily.
    SS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.