Escalade Sound System upgrade - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Escalade Sound System upgrade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by the cadillac man They will work as the speaker locations are a drop in fit for 6 ...
    CRSO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

Re: Escalade Sound System upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    They will work as the speaker locations are a drop in fit for 6 1/2 inch speakers
    I will send the pics when I am on my computer,

As far as the wiring the tweeters came with enough wiring to reach to under the seat and I just ran a small amount of wire to the door speaker to crossover the rear door speakers and tweeters I didn't have to add wire because of the way they are set up.
    TCM, did you install the tweeters inside the door just above the 6.5" THere is a lot of room there.... I can keep the tweets in the pillars and add the tweets to the doors.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by CRSO

TCM, did you install the tweeters inside the door just above the 6.5" THere is a lot of room there.... I can keep the tweets in the pillars and add the tweets to the doors.
    Nope I used the stock locations in order to get the best imaging from the speaker and tweeters.
    I know there is a lot of room but you won't get the best from your speakers that way.

Stock location hardly constitutes the best imaging. When was Bose or GM in the audiophile business? I think you may have thought I'd keep the stock tweets hooked up... No way in hell would I get caught up in multiple point sourcing unless my components have mediocre stage height at the sides. Unless done properly, using the kick tweeters as the main tweets and using the tweets in the pillars in a cross firing scheme it will sound like crap. Since the A pillars are closer to you, you may have to manipulate the polarity to get proper phase between the two sets of tweets. I'm just going to mount the set in the doors and use the stock locations if I have to.

This is another reason many high end systems use a minimal amount of drivers. You net the best possible imaging characteristics and the least number of phase problems to correct. I temporarily considered Coax's. Well, coaxial designs and true point source coaxials (with the tweeter actually resting INSIDE the midrange voice coil) were built on the "point source" premise, and can do a good job in terms of imaging because of this. Standard coaxial designs usually have NO crossover for the midrange, allowing it to roll-off it's freq response on the top naturally. I like components better anyway.

To get proper imaging, the path lengths between your speakers and your ears need to be as close to equal as possible. The escalade by delault has the stock tweeters set off axis and the tweeters should only be used as a second set up as cross firing.... I'd rather put the tweets in the kick and get them set up on axis and have less ear fatigue... I'm not trying to bash you but I am a sound engineer. I consistently downmix tracks on $2,000 Dynaudio's for final production so I know a thing or two about imaging.

Also look at your prefabricated kick panel enclosures... Q-Logic or whatnot... The tweets are in there.

No highs, no lows, gotta be Bose...

Stock location hardly constitutes the best imaging. When was Bose or GM in the audiophile business? I think you may have thought I'd keep the stock tweets hooked up... No way in hell would I get caught up in multiple point sourcing unless my components have mediocre stage height at the sides. Unless done properly, using the kick tweeters as the main tweets and using the tweets in the pillars in a cross firing scheme it will sound like crap. Since the A pillars are closer to you, you may have to manipulate the polarity to get proper phase between the two sets of tweets. I'm just going to mount the set in the doors and use the stock locations if I have to.

This is another reason many high end systems use a minimal amount of drivers. You net the best possible imaging characteristics and the least number of phase problems to correct. I temporarily considered Coax's. Well, coaxial designs and true point source coaxials (with the tweeter actually resting INSIDE the midrange voice coil) were built on the "point source" premise, and can do a good job in terms of imaging because of this. Standard coaxial designs usually have NO crossover for the midrange, allowing it to roll-off it's freq response on the top naturally. I like components better anyway.

To get proper imaging, the path lengths between your speakers and your ears need to be as close to equal as possible. The escalade by delault has the stock tweeters set off axis and the tweeters should only be used as a second set up as cross firing.... I'd rather put the tweets in the kick and get them set up on axis and have less ear fatigue... I'm not trying to bash you but I am a sound engineer. I consistently downmix tracks on $2,000 Dynaudio's for final production so I know a thing or two about imaging.

Also look at your prefabricated kick panel enclosures... Q-Logic or whatnot... The tweets are in there.

No highs, no lows, gotta be Bose...
    Try little to no midrange, harsh highs and sloppy bass that's how I have found that the Bose speakers sound but I setup mine up with the stock locations for the tweeters for now until I get the time and parts to set mine up with ribbon mid's and tweeters which will have to be positioned different anyway.

But I can tell a difference in imaging because of where the tweeters are reflecting off of the windshield (kinda makes me wonder why gm/Bose did the rear better then the front)

I also can tell a huge difference between the setup I have in my car (which it took me hours to get the tweeters positioned right) to the setup in my truck the range of sound is there but on certain songs the dimension of depth is not as good,

I have been wondering if tweeter pods would make a difference if I don't go to ribbon drivers before too long.

P.s I have infinity rs-5 speakers on my home audio system and it sounds as close to a live performance as a speaker can reproduce,

Also I have a set of Bose home audio speakers and even though they don't sound as great as my infinity speakers they still sound better then the Bose speakers in our trucks plus it is better to use a pod for the tweeter to have it aimed right towards your ear level to get the most out of the setup then to have it reflecting off of the windshield (which is another tech word by Bose called direct reflect technology) the Bose home speakers are a joke compared to my infinity speakers reguardless of which model you compare them to.

Also keep in mind that there are multiple mounts included with the tweeters of the infinity speakers and one would allow you to use the stock locations and adjust each tweeters direction to compensate I didn't think about that until now (I am going to adjust mine and see if it helps as they are at ear level just a bit out of position for the sweet spot.

I read the link and someone mentioned it depends on the brand of speakers you use but I have seen worse off axis tweeter mounts(hummer h2 for one Chevy hhr for another) plus it has a lot to do with a little thing us audiophiles have known for years called acoustics which can make even the best speakers sound like crap.
    P.s the two suv's I listed has the tweeter firing towards each other which kills the staging all together.

Topper

I read the link and someone mentioned it depends on the brand of speakers you use but I have seen worse off axis tweeter mounts(hummer h2 for one Chevy hhr for another) plus it has a lot to do with a little thing us audiophiles have known for years called acoustics which can make even the best speakers sound like crap.
    P.s the two suv's I listed has the tweeter firing towards each other which kills the staging all together.
    You have mentioned quite a few times that you are an "audiophile". If so, I'm surprised you're using Infinity speakers as your #1's. Infinity can make some good drivers but are far from top quality... They're ok consumer speakers.... There is a difference in speakers and crap speakers are just that, crap speakers. I can't downmix on a pair of Mackies and compare them to my Yamaha NS10's or Dynaudio's and those are IN a studio setup by an acoustical engineer.

I compete in car audio. Join us over in the caraudio.com forums. Just be sure not to mention JL Audio over there...

Are you a member of headfi?

You have mentioned quite a few times that you are an "audiophile". If so, I'm surprised you're using Infinity speakers as your #1's. Infinity can make some good drivers but are far from top quality... They're ok consumer speakers.... There is a difference in speakers and crap speakers are just that, crap speakers. I can't downmix on a pair of Mackies and compare them to my Yamaha NS10's or Dynaudio's and those are IN a studio setup by an acoustical engineer.

I compete in car audio. Join us over in the caraudio.com forums. Just be sure not to mention JL Audio over there...

Are you a member of headfi?
    I ask you this have you ever heard any of infinities older speakers mainly the one's with the ribbon tweeter
    I have a few sets of the older infinity speakers yes I will admit that the car speakers made from them aren't the same but they are better then most for the price the reason is because of the takeover by harmen kardon
    I am only using infinity speakers as a temp until I get my truck paid off then I will go full out with a hybrid ribbon/ cone driver setup, yes I can tell a difference between great and crap.
    But I am surprised a lot of people hold Bose to a high standard given the below substandard crap they make.
    But I don't think infinity will go back to how they did before the takeover which sucks.
    P.s infinity speakers was a top of the line speaker brand beating even some of the top brands on the market today just find someone with a set of infinities IRS betas.

I ask you this have you ever heard any of infinities older speakers mainly the one's with the ribbon tweeter
    I have a few sets of the older infinity speakers yes I will admit that the car speakers made from them aren't the same but they are better then most for the price the reason is because of the takeover by harmen kardon
    I am only using infinity speakers as a temp until I get my truck paid off then I will go full out with a hybrid ribbon/ cone driver setup, yes I can tell a difference between great and crap.
    But I am surprised a lot of people hold Bose to a high standard given the below substandard crap they make.
    But I don't think infinity will go back to how they did before the takeover which sucks.
    P.s infinity speakers was a top of the line speaker brand beating even some of the top brands on the market today just find someone with a set of infinities IRS betas.
    I had a set from the IRS line with the EMIT and EMIM back in the early 90's... Sounded great.

I had a set from the IRS line with the EMIT and EMIM back in the early 90's... Sounded great.
    I have a set of rs-5's for my audio setup tring to find a set of IRS beta speakers to upgrade to.
    I have a couple of set from the rs line rs3000(front) and rs1000(side) along with a video1 center and hlk speakers(rear) for my 7.1 home theater system and the sound is so realistic it's creepy I have a jbl sub for the bass.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.