How to add a 'factory' backup camera to your touchscreen satellite navigation system
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, How to add a 'factory' backup camera to your touchscreen satellite navigation system in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I highly recommend the PAC VCI-X system. I purchased it from eBay seller 'elektek.1' for about $300. Here is the ...
    Sentinelist is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum, white diamond, 118k

Lightbulb How to add a 'factory' backup camera to your touchscreen satellite navigation system

I highly recommend the PAC VCI-X system. I purchased it from eBay seller 'elektek.1' for about $300. Here is the link for a current one available, though it won't last for long. I've been using mine for 2 months now with no issues. The install can be challenging, but isn't bad at all if you're mechanically/IT/audiovideo inclined. I feel bad I didn't take any photos of the process, but here's what I can try and convey from what I remember... You do not need the random RadioShack SPDT relay the directions mention. You do need an assortment of various electrical wire connectors common in a car audio installer's toolbox- you can pick a batch up at your local AutoZone, NAPA, etc. for several bucks (red, blue, yellow connectors of various types). Also electrical tape, and a spare network patch cable or long ~18-ishGA wire. Some double-sided foam tape and wire cutter/stripper as well. Obviously screwdrivers to take a few panels off.

You don't need the parking brake wire. I never connected it and it's fine. You do, however, obviously need the reverse wire connection. And for this as a simple low voltage signal tap, I did use Cat5 cable (25' should be enough, I just hacked up what I needed off a spare 50' I had) and made the run from the dash to the passenger reverse lamp. It can be tricky exposing the wires for this, as they are far smaller than my wire stripper could accomodate- I spent a half hour with 3 pairs on each end using a razor blade. Take your time, be careful. You'll need to splice into the (forgot the color) positive wire off the reverse lamp, and then crimp the other side into a connector for the controller box.

For the camera itself, I mounted (the model I have at least, which differs from the photo below and has a small housing with a flat bottom) in the space between the trailer hitch and the bumper with some double-sided foam tape. Has worked brilliantly, and how perfect is this for hitching stuff up? I ran the signal and power wires back through the top of the hitch receiver, behind the bumper, and up into the hatch right in the middle through the gap in the weatherstripping and trim. Run the wires (reverse signal wire too) under the cargo loading strip and along the driver's side up to the dash. The trim pieces pop off along the way to conceal. I tapped the rear 12V power outlet for the camera's power. Downside- it's always powered on. With the IR feature, the IR beams glow a faint red around the camera lens at night. Very low power draw, no worries. Slightly noticeable, maybe it keeps others away- bonus. You'll need to find a switchable power source if you don't want yours on all the time.

The dash bezel pulls right off with several tabs- be careful but it's easy. Run the wires up through the gap behind the knee-board of the dash right under and to the right of the steering wheel- they will easily feed through a couple other big holes to the head unit area. The blue controller box I mounted with a few Velcro strips behind and just to the right of the factory head unit in the dash. Quite a bit of room in there. Make sure you ground any of the ground wires properly, not just on metal bolts, but metal bolts going into metal things. I believe I powered my controller box off the 'BVLGARI' clock leads due to wire length constraints- grounded somewhere down there too. Worked for me. Again, you'll need to splice these in.

The data ribbon cable install/surgery for the head unit isn't hard, but you need to make sure that YOU are grounded and not shuffling across carpet working on this. Take your time, make sure the cable is all the way in the slot but don't force it (some leads may slightly show), double check them to be secure and let the slack fold over itself when you put the lid back on- DO NOT FOLD OR CRIMP IT. I don't believe I had to touch the GM24 harness for the stereo aside from reconnecting it- make sure you get your XM and AM/FM antenna wires plugged back in as well.

Unfortunately, this is all I can remember at 1:30am two months later, but I'll subscribe to this thread if anyone has any questions. I will do my best to take a few photos if needed of fairly accessible areas as demand warrants in this thread. Go for it!

jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: How to add a 'factory' backup camera to your touchscreen satellite navigation sys

P.s.: The same seller also has a model for the non-touchscreen satnav units! Inquire within (to him).

LongRX7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade Diamond White

Re: How to add a 'factory' backup camera to your touchscreen satellite navigation sys

Pretty easy to do, I did it with the same kit. Well worth it.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

Sentinelist thanks for sharing your write up. Too bad no pics along the way

About how long did the whole install take from start to finish?

You're welcome. I almost didn't post this due to the lack of photos, but figured it would be better than nothing for a great solution. Since anyone who does this will likely do it for the first time, plan on it taking a full Saturday afternoon. You might be able to do it in 3 hours.

If there is anything specific you want a photo of, let me know.

icaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

wow, the kit sells for $950 at ebay now.

90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

yup... saw that myself and thought it might be cheaper to just replace the head unit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-TOUCH-SC...sories&vxp=mtr

Is this the same thing? Much cheaper

Black88GTA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade AWD 6.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelist View Post
    I tapped the rear 12V power outlet for the camera's power. Downside- it's always powered on. With the IR feature, the IR beams glow a faint red around the camera lens at night. Very low power draw, no worries. Slightly noticeable, maybe it keeps others away- bonus. You'll need to find a switchable power source if you don't want yours on all the time.
    Sounds pretty nice, I may have to try this on mine in the future. One question - any reason you didn't tap the + reverse light lead for your camera power source? It seems like it would be perfect, as it is only hot when the car is placed in reverse - which is also the only time the camera needs to be on. Plus the wire is already right near the unit, so you don't have to run tons of wire. I'd be worried about the parasitic draw on the battery if I left the car parked for a while with a constant hot +12v.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA

Sounds pretty nice, I may have to try this on mine in the future. One question - any reason you didn't tap the + reverse light lead for your camera power source? It seems like it would be perfect, as it is only hot when the car is placed in reverse - which is also the only time the camera needs to be on. Plus the wire is already right near the unit, so you don't have to run tons of wire. I'd be worried about the parasitic draw on the battery if I left the car parked for a while with a constant hot +12v.
    Black88gta I agree I have a back up cam and I have it tapped in the back up light along with the display that way both are on when I have the truck in reverse but now I am thinking getting one of these units as now I have a factory nav unit and I want everything to look stock

Quote Originally Posted by icaddy View Post

That should be the same one. The head unit is made by AC Delco I believe, not Denso, and the keyword to look for is support for 'touchscreen'. But that is the same seller and should be the same model even though these are for 'GMC'.

Quote Originally Posted by 90limited View Post
    yup... saw that myself and thought it might be cheaper to just replace the head unit...
    I was about to say... definitely would be if that were the case. Anything over $400 really is the breaking point for that, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Black88GTA View Post
    Actually no! That's a great idea. I wonder about the latency of the camera turning on in this fashion, but I may very well re-wire it to do this. Would certainly make more sense (I don't do stuff like this very often). It does immediately snap on as soon as Reverse is engaged, and now that I think about it, other vehicles with factory systems seem to take up to a second longer as the camera powers on. The constant drain can become an issue if the truck sits there for long, but I think I can probably count how many days it wasn't driven on one hand in the last year, so battery is always being charged. YMMV. But tapping the + reverse light lead should probably be a best practice here. Thanks for the great suggestion.

It does not include the camera... if you take the same controller and include one of the camera options, it takes it back to 1k...

It does not include the camera... if you take the same controller and include one of the camera options, it takes it back to 1k...
    1K.... with $1k I will have my wife get out as a guide for backing up the truck lol
    jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

1K.... with $1k I will have my wife get out as a guide for backing up the truck lol
    LMAO... beside that, if you over shoot, she would make a good cushion between the truck and whatever may damage it. She will heal in time, right?

LMAO... beside that, if you over shoot, she would make a good cushion between the truck and whatever may damage it. She will heal in time, right?
    That's right sir. haha.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.