2005 Escalade advice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2005 Escalade advice in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So I have the aforementioned truck and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the following: the paint ...
    jrojas1128 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2005 Escalade advice

So I have the aforementioned truck and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the following: the paint or at least the clear coat seems to be stripping off gradually on my sideview mirrors. I have the Riptide blue paint and was wondering what solution short of getting the ugly ass chrome pieces anyone may have lol. Thanks. I will post pics after I wash my baby up. Though it's bone stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BDuncan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 2005 Escalade advice

Very simple - remove the mirrors, scuff them to remove remaining clear and have the clear or color and clear repainted.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by jrojas1128
    So I have the aforementioned truck and was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the following: the paint or at least the clear coat seems to be stripping off gradually on my sideview mirrors. I have the Riptide blue paint and was wondering what solution short of getting the ugly ass chrome pieces anyone may have lol. Thanks. I will post pics after I wash my baby up. Though it's bone stock.
    Don't knock the chrome covers buddy as I have a set on my truck and they ain't ugly but my truck is black so the chrome goes good with the color.

Lol no offence I just don't think they would look good on mine. Ill post a pic and you help me decide

Here she is!
    20120727_154401.jpg

CUTiger78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 ESV Premium

I'll bet those chrome covers would look great on your truck! Especially after you clean the fuzz out of those headlight lenses.... Check out the lens cleaning posts.

Cheers!
    jnrsesv and jnrsesv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    I'll bet those chrome covers would look great on your truck! Especially after you clean the fuzz out of those headlight lenses.... Check out the lens cleaning posts.

Cheers!
    Thanks I'm gonna look into the fuzz cleaners ASAP...its so annoying

CUTiger78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 ESV Premium

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78

Cheers!
    I agree I have the full chrome covers on mine if you want pm me and I will give you my email address so I can send the pics I have of mine.

jnrsesv is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 ESV Platinum

I too have a pair of the "cheesy chrome full mirror covers", I love em'!

Personally, I think they would look great on your vehicle, especially that you have the chrome wheels. Maybe invest in a platinum grill .

Dude get the rubbing alcohol, it takes just a few minutes to get the "fuzz" out!

BTW beautiful vehicle!

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    I too have a pair of the "cheesy chrome full mirror covers", I love em'!

Personally, I think they would look great on your vehicle, especially that you have the chrome wheels. Maybe invest in a platinum grill .

Dude get the rubbing alcohol, it takes just a few minutes to get the "fuzz" out!

BTW beautiful vehicle!
    If your referring to the haze on the headlights I just used a little water and sloshed it around in the housings then let them sit in the sun until they dried and to avoid it happening again I put led bulbs in the drl and I haven't had it happen again I just wish my passenger side housing has started oxide on the outside.

First time I have read that plain ole water would clear the haze. I follow the 1/4 cup water and a cap full of rubbing alcohol, twice a year, keeps them sparkly new.

The 3M headlight kit works great on the exterior side of headlamp. The problem is keeping the UVs from "eating" them up again.

Quote Originally Posted by jnrsesv
    First time I have read that plain ole water would clear the haze. I follow the 1/4 cup water and a cap full of rubbing alcohol, twice a year, keeps them sparkly new.

The 3M headlight kit works great on the exterior side of headlamp. The problem is keeping the UVs from "eating" them up again.
    Ok I think that is what the service manager recommended when I called my local dealer about the price of a replacement housing I don't want to spend 700.00 on a new housing if I can repair the one I have
    P.s I haven't had the haze return on the inside of my housings yet so far but if it ever does I will try the rubbing alcohol with the water.

mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Just a heads up. Some of these threads recommend using straight rubbing alcohol to clean your headlight housings. While this will clear up the haze, it will also peel up the chrome plating on the housing if you let it soak for too long. As in 1 minute of soaking will cause damage! Be careful and try a diluted mixture before going straight rubbing alcohol. As you are probably already aware, these headlights aren't cheap so use caution when cleaning.

Yes becareful not to get any water/alcohol solution on the chrome coating!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.