Looking at 2004 Escalade any tips
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Looking at 2004 Escalade any tips in Cadillac Escalade Forums; We are looking at a 2004 Escalade with 56k original miles. This is a two owner with clean carfax and ...
    Ed1976 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Looking at 2004 Escalade any tips

We are looking at a 2004 Escalade with 56k original miles. This is a two owner with clean carfax and service history. Any tips or things to look at on the Escalade? This would be our first Escalade.
    Thanks
    Eddie

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Looking at 2004 Escalade any tips

Carfax is worthless.

Service history is good to know. Some dealers can run the VIN and tell you what service or repairs have been done on the vehicle.

These earlier model Lades are cropping up with several maintenance issues. Take some time and read through a few pages of the Escalade forum. You will see a lot of threads about the rear air shocks crapping out, the air compressor crapping out, the front differentials whining or going out, front end steering issues, the dreaded "stability system" message, etc.

The 6.0 engine is great, the truck is prone to front differential failures. Drive the vehicle at various speeds with the radio off and the air on low so you can listen for any howling from the diff.

The rear air suspension could also reaching the end of its days. When you start the vehicle after it sits overnight you should hear the compressor kick on. When the rear of the vehicle is level it should kick off. If the compressor doesn't kick on at all it's probably shot. If the compressor kicks on and never turns off, the shocks may be shot.

Do a little research before you buy so you know what to look for. Good luck.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

My 2004 EXT has 53K miles on it now. I just had my front diff replaced under GMPP warranty. I'm on my 3rd or 4th nav system (also all warranty). The only thing else I've ever had wrong is that little fan above your head, in the headliner, had to be replaced -- as did a tire pressure monitor.

However, I think my fan motor may be going out -- it started sounding funny over the weekend. I have 3 more weeks of warranty -- so I'd better get it in.

All in all, a great truck -- I want an ESV to go with it...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

my 03 had to have the power train control module replaced lately as my truck went nuts on me in a walmart parking lot
    i had to get a tow to just get home cause the computer lost the data bus to the throttle acuatior control module and decided to do the reduced engine power mode just before it killed the engine altogether (why in the world does gm think making a v8 drop to 4 will give enough power to move these beasts is crazy)

i had my air shock compressor crap out on me within a week after i got the truck and the shocks blew months one at 2am not a good sound to be woke up by the other while i was on the road,
    half of the radio lights are not working the clock lights are blown.

i had to replace the rear air control module along with a actuator along with the battery since the module shorted out and killed the battery overnight

so far i haven't had any major problems or failure except listed i hope it give me a long and trouble free service life as i would like to see how many miles i can get in it before i have to retire it(hopefully it will be a long time)

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I forgot that I had to get the starter replaced which was another tow and shop bill.

latrae75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed1976
    We are looking at a 2004 Escalade with 56k original miles. This is a two owner with clean carfax and service history. Any tips or things to look at on the Escalade? This would be our first Escalade.
    Thanks
    Eddie
    I got rid of my 2004 Escalade over a year ago. The transmission failed at 118,000 miles, and I started having small issues with the rear air ride before the transmission went out. But other than those two issues, it was pretty good highway cruiser. I always used Mobile 1 synthetic oil, premium gas, dealer maintained, transmission serviced every 40,000 miles, never missed a service. If the transmission didn't go out, I would still have it. Excellent travel vehicle though. Just beware of a possible transmission failure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.