Reduced Engine Power NIGHTMARE!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Reduced Engine Power NIGHTMARE! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2003 Escalade and I keep getting a reduced engine power and it shuts down (interstate, mountain road, ...
    mrsjpmcdaniel is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Reduced Engine Power NIGHTMARE!

I have a 2003 Escalade and I keep getting a reduced engine power and it shuts down (interstate, mountain road, stoplights... anywhere its inconvenient!)
    I dont have any codes, AutoZone or Advanced told me that it wouldn't work when they tried. Manual says overheating BUT ITS NOT, and its not the throttle body problem b/c its runs great except when it stops.
    I have had it to 3 mechanics and even UTI to a 20 year GM tech and no one can figure it out!
    PLEASE HELP! Anyone with experience with this problem???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjpmcdaniel
    I have a 2003 Escalade and I keep getting a reduced engine power and it shuts down (interstate, mountain road, stoplights... anywhere its inconvenient!)
    I dont have any codes, AutoZone or Advanced told me that it wouldn't work when they tried. Manual says overheating BUT ITS NOT, and its not the throttle body problem b/c its runs great except when it stops.
    I have had it to 3 mechanics and even UTI to a 20 year GM tech and no one can figure it out!
    PLEASE HELP! Anyone with experience with this problem???
    Does your engine light come when it does this?
    I ask cause I went through what you are going through now with mine and it did have the engine light on.

wesyder is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
    Ive had a similar issue with my 05 Denali which would have been impossible to fix without a scanner, mine ended being one of the front abs sensors giving the computer an incorrect reading, so when the computer saw the different wheel speed it cut the engine power basically activating the traction control, hope that helps, however a scanner is a must

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: Reduced Engine Power NIGHTMARE!

No codes?

I'm almost wondering if you have a bad PCM. Some GM vehicles has problems in the 90s with the PCB developing cracks that weren't visible to the eye but would separate enough to be an intermittent problem that caused to car to stall once the computer heated up.

The PCM controls the engine management. The reduced power function shouldn't kill the engine. With no codes I'm taking a wild guess that the PCM is simply losing power or input/output momentarily. Maybe worth a shot with a used PCM from eBay for cheap if you can find one?

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    No codes?

I'm almost wondering if you have a bad PCM. Some GM vehicles has problems in the 90s with the PCB developing cracks that weren't visible to the eye but would separate enough to be an intermittent problem that caused to car to stall once the computer heated up.

The PCM controls the engine management. The reduced power function shouldn't kill the engine. With no codes I'm taking a wild guess that the PCM is simply losing power or input/output momentarily. Maybe worth a shot with a used PCM from eBay for cheap if you can find one?
    i will disagree with you on the reduced engine power and the engine can be shut down and not allowed to be restarted if in cases like mine where the data bus between it and the throttle body control module fails which will cause the cpm the shut the engine down and i have video to proof you wrong on this so if you don't believe me i can email you the video and pics.
    also even if the cpm loses power even temporary it will store a code i don't know if it will turn the engine light on or not,
    also you can't swap out the cpm from a different truck as they are programed to the vin of the truck.

ok i didn't think that was possible

And now?

And now?
    Given how you have said your truck acts it sounds like the PCM or it's wiring could be the culprit is it only acting up when it is hot outside cause sometimes one the caps in the PCM can fail and work sometimes and not work other times which was not my case where it failed completely to the point that the PCM went crazy and quit completely.

Is there a sensor on the air conditioning or thermostat of some kind that could be failing?

Is there a sensor on the air conditioning or thermostat of some kind that could be failing?
    What are your gauges doing when you get the reduced engine power message?
    I only ask this to be sure on my info.

Nothing they are fine, not overheating, everything else is normal

Nothing they are fine, not overheating, everything else is normal
    I still can't shake the feeling it is your PCM getting ready to fail
    Are you able to start the truck after it shows the reduced engine power message?

2003cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade ESV 2003

I have the same problems with my 2003 Cadillac Escalade: “Reduced engine power” and other times “Stability control”
    The car reduces speed drastically to a few miles per hour. This has been dangerous especially in high traffic areas. My mechanic has not been able to identify the problem as well.
    I have requested additional information from http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/ to see if there has been any recalls, or if there will be any due to this issue. I would suggest contacting them if your issues continue.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003cadi
    I have the same problems with my 2003 Cadillac Escalade: “Reduced engine power” and other times “Stability control”
    The car reduces speed drastically to a few miles per hour. This has been dangerous especially in high traffic areas. My mechanic has not been able to identify the problem as well.
    I have requested additional information from http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/ to see if there has been any recalls, or if there will be any due to this issue. I would suggest contacting them if your issues continue.
    Most likely its the PCM (would need more info to be sure)

flektorich is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

I have 04 escalade and it did this twice. Both times it was caused by the ign. switch. Take off your neg. battery cable for 2 min. and reattach. Make sure when you start the truck you keep the ign. key turned to on until motor is started. When I get into a hurry and quiclkly release the ign. swth. before the motor is running it does the reduced eng. pwr., now I leave the key in start until its up and running well. Never happened again. One GM mechanic told me to replace ign. swh. if it continues. ZHope this helps

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.