02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello Everyone, I am new to this Forum and I need your HELP!!!! I Have a 2002 Escalade 6.0 AWD. ...
    2002cadilade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 1998 STS

02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this Forum and I need your HELP!!!!

I Have a 2002 Escalade 6.0 AWD. The issues I am having is that sometimes when ideling for about 3 mins it idles rought and around 200rpm and feels like its going to die but doesnt. The exhuast sounds more like a deep tone, then the service engine light turns on and then stops idleing rough...Also sometimes When im going around 55mph the truck starts feeling heavy and let its going to choke and i start losing speed evening though i am flooring it doesnt pick up speed. then after i would say half a mile then it starts picking up speed again like normal and that happens right after the engine light turns on....So it can go a day with the issue but then it comes back...I have cleaned the throttle body,checked the fuses and cleaned the MAF sensor and still having the same issue. You may ask why not hook up the computer and read the codes. The issue with that is that the previous owner swaped seats from a 04 escalade and they override something cause when they installed the seats the truck didnt want to turn on so i think that is why i hook up the computer to read the codes the computer tells me to turn the key which it is, so it isnt much help. ANY IDEAS or maybe someone has had the same issue please HELP me out!!! thanks everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

Re: 02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration

I would look at two things, First fuel I would put a fuel guage on the motor and ck what the pressure is. (could be filter or pump) check when you are reving or take it for a drive put guage out the fback of hood. if you dont have a guage they a cheap. If that is not it then I would think your cat is plugged. The noise you are discribing is the motor is starving so if it is starving ---gas or air is the usual things.

Thanks a lot I'll do that this weekend!! And post up the results

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Also check and clean the throttle body I know cause of the low idle.

I agree but if he is on the gas throttle body should not stop the motor from red lining and bogging but idle issue would be a yes

Quote Originally Posted by osure
    I agree but if he is on the gas throttle body should not stop the motor from red lining and bogging but idle issue would be a yes
    You never know cause the drive by wire system can be picky if a sensor is bad or dirty it will cause a multitude of problems I know cause when my PCM failed it showed the tps at 98.9% even though I wasn't touching the pedal and the throttle body didn't respond to the pedal even after replacing the throttle body no fix so it ended up being the PCM
    Just keep in mind that there three modules tied into the fuel pedal 1.the throttle body 2 the PCM 3. The throttle actuator control module and pedal sensor.
    Also the throttle body has three sensors inside it.

good point

Well. I checked the fuel pressure and its normal.cleaned the throttle body and confirmed my MAF is good. The other two things that i have not gotten to yet is the PCM, which i really hope it is not that and the Catalytic Converter. Now I have noticed and please correct if i am wrong. The Catalytic Converter acts up when ever the car/truck is warmed up and i notice that when i first turn on the truck and let it idle it runs fine untill if i let it sit for 15mins and the engine is warm then it starts acting up. Do you guys think this could be it???

Quote Originally Posted by 2002cadilade
    Well. I checked the fuel pressure and its normal.cleaned the throttle body and confirmed my MAF is good. The other two things that i have not gotten to yet is the PCM, which i really hope it is not that and the Catalytic Converter. Now I have noticed and please correct if i am wrong. The Catalytic Converter acts up when ever the car/truck is warmed up and i notice that when i first turn on the truck and let it idle it runs fine untill if i let it sit for 15mins and the engine is warm then it starts acting up. Do you guys think this could be it???
    If it was the catalytic converters it would set a few misfire codes in the PCM due to too much back pressure,
    Sounds kinda like a o2 sensor given as to how you said it idles after 15mins, is the check engine light on or flashing?

Yep, when i turn it on the light engine is not on so then i let it idle then it starts acting up and then the light turns on... so then i step on the gas and the exhaust back fires...

Yep, when i turn it on the light engine is not on so then i let it idle then it starts acting up and then the light turns on... so then i step on the gas and the exhaust back fires...
    Is it steady or flashing?

It is Steady

It is Steady
    Then there should be a code in the computer if you can go to auto zone and see what the code or codes are that will help me out a lot in pinpointing the source of the problem.

OK will do, found out the previous owner changed the seats to from an 05 and messed something up with the computer so when i put the code reader it say there is no connection. I dont know if they must have cut some wires or somthing. i am going to have to get a hold of the guy who did it to find out what the hell he did. I think he bypassed something because first when they put the 05 seats the truck didnt want to turn on so he did some wire crap and was able to make it turn on....but now when you hook up anything to get the codes it reads that there is no connection.

do you know anyone that does exhaust work if so take it to them they can punch a small hole to relieve pressure. if it is the cat it should start running better then all you have to do is spot weld the hole afterward. I found this is the easiest way to check for most people. ( I still think it is cat)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.