02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok thanks, i am going to try that. At this point ill try anything!!! I just want to get my ...
    2002cadilade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade, 1998 STS

Re: 02 Escalade= Rough Idle and no acceleration

Ok thanks, i am going to try that. At this point ill try anything!!! I just want to get my baby running again...For some reason i really also think it is going to be the Cat. But i guess we will wait and see!!

Hello guys,

I havent been able to work on the escalade yet. I think at this point I really need to find out why any code reader is not reading my computer. Now my Front Cig. Ligther does not work. i was looking at another thread and it stated that they share the same power circuit. The fuse located under the hood is not blown. Did you guys have any diagram of this or maybe can point me in the correct direction in where to first start testing for wires or if there is another fuse i should check.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002cadilade
    Hello guys,

I havent been able to work on the escalade yet. I think at this point I really need to find out why any code reader is not reading my computer. Now my Front Cig. Ligther does not work. i was looking at another thread and it stated that they share the same power circuit. The fuse located under the hood is not blown. Did you guys have any diagram of this or maybe can point me in the correct direction in where to first start testing for wires or if there is another fuse i should check.
    There are a few other fuses that might have something to do with I am not to where I can get to my owner's manuel but I will look when I get home to see if there is another fuse.

TheCamel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade EXT

One problem you need to figure out first before going through any other steps is to figure out why you cannot connect an OBD II code reader or scan tool through the OBD connector.
    Check ALL fuses, not just the ones you think are powering the unit. Electrical has a way of finding a path where you least expect it to.

As far as your seats being changed, they have nothing to do with the Powertrain Control Module, they are on a seperate system controled by the seat memory module. Even if they were spliced in, unless the other owner spliced into the PCM harness for power, these systems have nothing to do with each other.

Now, you hopefully will find the problem causing no connection to register, and once you do, will be able to post a code on here that allows a lot easier diagnostics. Once you have determined that all fuses are ok, then look at any ground connections to the body of the vehicle, make sure they are clean and free of corrosion.

If your PCM is not accessible through the scan port, then you may have a lot of other issues. You may have corrosion inside of the PCM itself causing issues. From what you describe, both at idle, and while at a cruising speed is that the vehicle is going into closed loop, and one of the sensors is sending an intermitant signal, or your MAF is beginning to fail.

You did not describe how you were able to test the MAF, and if it is intermittant, then it may only happen for a split second, and unless you are recording the data through a full scan tool, and not a code reader you probably would not see it

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamel
    One problem you need to figure out first before going through any other steps is to figure out why you cannot connect an OBD II code reader or scan tool through the OBD connector.
    Check ALL fuses, not just the ones you think are powering the unit. Electrical has a way of finding a path where you least expect it to.

As far as your seats being changed, they have nothing to do with the Powertrain Control Module, they are on a seperate system controled by the seat memory module. Even if they were spliced in, unless the other owner spliced into the PCM harness for power, these systems have nothing to do with each other.

Now, you hopefully will find the problem causing no connection to register, and once you do, will be able to post a code on here that allows a lot easier diagnostics. Once you have determined that all fuses are ok, then look at any ground connections to the body of the vehicle, make sure they are clean and free of corrosion.

If your PCM is not accessible through the scan port, then you may have a lot of other issues. You may have corrosion inside of the PCM itself causing issues. From what you describe, both at idle, and while at a cruising speed is that the vehicle is going into closed loop, and one of the sensors is sending an intermitant signal, or your MAF is beginning to fail.

You did not describe how you were able to test the MAF, and if it is intermittant, then it may only happen for a split second, and unless you are recording the data through a full scan tool, and not a code reader you probably would not see it
    I agree with you on a most of it but the ability to read live data depends on the scan tool I know cause mine can read live data.

Well, did everything possible and was advices by 4 other mechanics that they're leaning towards the PCM. I was wondering where the PCM is and if it has to be programmed by the dealer or I can just swap it out with another ????

Well, did everything possible and was advices by 4 other mechanics that they're leaning towards the PCM. I was wondering where the PCM is and if it has to be programmed by the dealer or I can just swap it out with another ????
    I had to have mine swapped due to complete failure you will find it near your power steering pump call autozone and give them both the vin and exact mileage to get a price quote on a replacement,

You will find the PCM under a black plastic cover to the right of the power steering (view angle is looking at it from the front)and I think there is some screws remove those and it should be free then you just disconnect the old and connect the new one.

Sorry I can't go into this on more detail but glad it has failed completely mine did and luckily I was in a parking lot and not the interstate (I noticed my throttle lagged a bit before the computer failed.
    P.s this ended up with my truck at my local dealer for a week which sucked.

Hello, no luck!!! Took the car too the dealer and before they even worked on it I told them what was wrong with it and they said that it doesn't need the PCM but the bcm, that that's why im not able to read the Codes with the code reader... Now I really think it is the issue because one thing I noticed today that my Rear climate control fan didn't work and while I was coming back from the dealer all of the sudden wheny truck was running fine it worked!!! Now correct me if I'm wrong but the bcm is the one that controls that Because that happen to me on my 96 deville but that one wouldn't even turn on...what do you guys think???

Hello, no luck!!! Took the car too the dealer and before they even worked on it I told them what was wrong with it and they said that it doesn't need the PCM but the bcm, that that's why im not able to read the Codes with the code reader... Now I really think it is the issue because one thing I noticed today that my Rear climate control fan didn't work and while I was coming back from the dealer all of the sudden wheny truck was running fine it worked!!! Now correct me if I'm wrong but the bcm is the one that controls that Because that happen to me on my 96 deville but that one wouldn't even turn on...what do you guys think???
    I'd say it is the body control module as it interfaces with all of the modules in the cab of the truck everything from the dash to the rear air system is controlled by the body control module
    (I had experience with this and it ain't fun it was my previous car and everything would go crazy because of it)

Now by me getting the new BCM, does this too have to be programmed by the dealer?? or can I just swap it out and but one from a different same year escalade??

Now by me getting the new BCM, does this too have to be programmed by the dealer?? or can I just swap it out and but one from a different same year escalade??
    Just swapping it out won't do the trick it has to be programmed to the truck as it and the PCM both carry the vin

Othniel13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Any update on this? I have the same issue with the OBD not reading and some rough idle, etc... Did you replace the PCM? BCM? Any info appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel13
    Any update on this? I have the same issue with the OBD not reading and some rough idle, etc... Did you replace the PCM? BCM? Any info appreciated.
    Sometimes the PCM can bring the whole network in the truck down.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.