Sqeaking while turning and no left turn :devil:
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Sqeaking while turning and no left turn :devil: in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi guys, So the past week I guess my truck has been making some squeaking while turning more annoying than ...
    William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Angry Sqeaking while turning and no left turn

Hi guys,
    So the past week I guess my truck has been making some squeaking while turning more annoying than anything. It sounds like bad brakes, but it isn't. Just sounds like it. Anyways today I was making a u-turn left then to the light turned right at the light everything normal, then all the sudden The steering wheel would not turn left at all like the power steering was out, but I could still turn right no problems. I turned right and then the left steering was back. totally weird I know, but it was scary as I know the steering and the brakes work together. Any idea's what this could be an indication of? damn sure wouldn't want steering or my brakes to just go out while driving.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: Sqeaking while turning and no left turn :devil:

i suggest going to a dealer as this sounds major and is risky, although the power steering and brakes work off the power steering pump the pump itself would have to fail which in turn would still not cause the problem you are having it would just make it harder to stop or steer the truck due to no power boost on either.

I think I figured it out. I feel stupid, but here it is. The squeak is the rear drivers side brake indicator because I only did the front brake pads and rotors when I changed them.

The misfiring was happening because I installed the red 10mm plug performance wires and they are a little longer than OEM wires. What is happening is that there is a little metal tab on the steering shaft next to the plug wires that is getting caught on the plug wire when I turn left pulliing the wire out from the plug. Not all the way but it does snag on it. That would explain why earlier there was a snag when trying to turn left. If I would have forced it, it would have pulled the wire completely out and steering would have been back to normal I would have been misfiring on cylinder 7.

What I ended up doing is zip tying that wire to the one behind it (cyl 8) to pull it away from the steering shaft so it won't get caught on it any more. Will the plug wires cause interference because they are touching? Or is that why the rubber protecting is there in the first place? Ya know the rubber that coats the wires.

Opinions?

what would have been stupid is to just not look under the hood first huh? I hope that this is the end of my problems from just doing a "tune up" listed in another post. All of these problems started by me trying to be pro active and changing plugs, wires and fuel filter. Been dealing with this misfiring problem off and on for about four weeks now. Whats funny is that now the rear brake pads need changing. It never ends. I guess I was looking for a hobby, I just didn't know what, now I do...

Quote Originally Posted by William01
    I think I figured it out. I feel stupid, but here it is. The squeak is the rear drivers side brake indicator because I only did the front brake pads and rotors when I changed them.

The misfiring was happening because I installed the red 10mm plug performance wires and they are a little longer than OEM wires. What is happening is that there is a little metal tab on the steering shaft next to the plug wires that is getting caught on the plug wire when I turn left pulliing the wire out from the plug. Not all the way but it does snag on it. That would explain why earlier there was a snag when trying to turn left. If I would have forced it, it would have pulled the wire completely out and steering would have been back to normal I would have been misfiring on cylinder 7.

What I ended up doing is zip tying that wire to the one behind it (cyl 8) to pull it away from the steering shaft so it won't get caught on it any more. Will the plug wires cause interference because they are touching? Or is that why the rubber protecting is there in the first place? Ya know the rubber that coats the wires.

Opinions?

what would have been stupid is to just not look under the hood first huh? I hope that this is the end of my problems from just doing a "tune up" listed in another post. All of these problems started by me trying to be pro active and changing plugs, wires and fuel filter. Been dealing with this misfiring problem off and on for about four weeks now. Whats funny is that now the rear brake pads need changing. It never ends. I guess I was looking for a hobby, I just didn't know what, now I do...
    Just a head's up most of the threads on here from where people have replaced the brakes say the rear pads wear out quicker then the front I asked my uncle about this since he worked at the and he told it is the way the brake system is done to prevent the front end from diving on braking.
    But I do suggest getting some wire holders to prevent any other problems with the spark plug wires that or use as short of a wore that you can get or stick to oem wires which are te right length for your truck.

Re: Sqeaking while turning and no left turn :devil:

Thanks for all of your help Cadillac Man, you have been a great help to me and my caddy over the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by William01
    Thanks for all of your help Cadillac Man, you have been a great help to me and my caddy over the last year.
    Your welcome I am glad to help out when someone needs help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.