air ride compressor question - how do I know if it is working?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, air ride compressor question - how do I know if it is working? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; hi - i just bought a 2006 escalade to tow with. I hooked up my trailer and it sags in ...
    2MCHPWR is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade

air ride compressor question - how do I know if it is working?

hi - i just bought a 2006 escalade to tow with.
    I hooked up my trailer and it sags in the rear.
    I started the truck up and listened to where the compressor is (drivers side rear wheel) and I hear nothing.
    Should the compressor be kicking on immediately?
    Does it kick on even without a trailer hooked up to it?
    No idiot lights on the dash.
    I'm fighting with the dealership I bought it from to have this fixed but I need to confirm that its broken.
    Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Re: air ride compressor question - how do I know if it is working?

Yes mine comes on almost every time I start the truck. If it doesn't you can check it by just turning the key to the on position and standing on your rear bumper for about 30-45 seconds if it does not come on then it doesn't work, then you go down the route of checking fuses and relays. If the owner before you went with the electronic bypassing shocks the compressor would probably not fire up either. Basically if you don't hear it than it is not working, because even a new one you still can hear it pretty good. I don't know why your not getting the "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message on the DIC though.

gottaride68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV, Black

I'd have to agree. I have the '06 ESV. You can hear when the comp. is working. and especially when you load a trailer on. You just bought this unit, private or frm a business? If it was private, they know about it, they jus dumped the vehicle cause they didn't want to fix it. Regardless, go back and fight with them. They got caught. And especially if the signal "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" does not come up on display.

I will say, this can be fixed though. I just replaced my compressor and shocks. arnottindustries.com Don't replace with stock parts, and do not shop at the dealers. Go aftermarket through Arnott, Bilstein shocks and compressor. If you can do the repair, great, or if you have a mechanic, great, it can be fixed.

Good luck....

We love our ESV Family Funster, they are a great vehicle, just remember, stock systems are made to break, they won't last forever....

You probably told the people/salesman, your intentions with the vehicle, for towing, and if they denied the fact of the vehicle not working to the standards.....let'em have it!!!!!!!!

You will find the Arnott link here on the forum, to the right hand side....

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

check under the back of the truck first to see if you still have air shocks i know some people swap out the air shocks for gas shocks and bypass the compressor so the service ride control message doesn't show try it before you go to the dealer again.

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

I replaced my factory unit with an arnott unit earlier this year. no issues with it and even found a 10% off code "74V4-W7D" online that worked at the time.

'49 Ford Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade

Hey everybody.. Thought I'd chime in on this one, as my Esc . 2004 has a load leveler, and it worked fine until just recently, when it began "intermittent" working/not working. I just bought a travel trailer, and I suppose it's time to fix it. Given what ya'll know already, what's the first, second, etc,. things to check out. I would guess one would start with the "sensor" and work backward?... any codes that should tell me what to find?... Sorry, although I'm an engineer and am building a bad ass street rod, I've never dug into this subject before.. and yes, I DO get the "service ride control" message every time I start up...Thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by '49 Ford Coupe
    Hey everybody.. Thought I'd chime in on this one, as my Esc . 2004 has a load leveler, and it worked fine until just recently, when it began "intermittent" working/not working. I just bought a travel trailer, and I suppose it's time to fix it. Given what ya'll know already, what's the first, second, etc,. things to check out. I would guess one would start with the "sensor" and work backward?... any codes that should tell me what to find?... Sorry, although I'm an engineer and am building a bad ass street rod, I've never dug into this subject before.. and yes, I DO get the "service ride control" message every time I start up...Thanks in advance...
    Sounds like the compressor is shot and needs replacing first I recommend checking the shocks for leaks by spraying them down with soapy water while bouncing the rear of the truck as you watch for air bubbles if you see any you will also need new shocks.

Well, I just read the ENTIRE 23 page subject thread and learned a lot... jumping the two big wires on the control relay caused the compressor to run, and the ass end of the truck began coming up a bit.. In the thread I read, it seems the next step is to check the wiring on the solenoid that's on the pump and/or leveling sensors. The relay holding coil ohms out at about 70 ohms, so I think the relay is ok, just not getting signal to pump up the system...

Well, I just read the ENTIRE 23 page subject thread and learned a lot... jumping the two big wires on the control relay caused the compressor to run, and the ass end of the truck began coming up a bit.. In the thread I read, it seems the next step is to check the wiring on the solenoid that's on the pump and/or leveling sensors. The relay holding coil ohms out at about 70 ohms, so I think the relay is ok, just not getting signal to pump up the system...
    Then it is a solnoid in the compressor gone bad

Most likely the CRAPPY solder joints on the solenoid. there are DOZENS of guys who've had the same problem .... sorry ass workmanship at the factory.. did somebody say Unions? or was it the Chinese, or maybe even the Mexicans ?!?!?!!?

Most likely the CRAPPY solder joints on the solenoid. there are DOZENS of guys who've had the same problem .... sorry ass workmanship at the factory.. did somebody say Unions? or was it the Chinese, or maybe even the Mexicans ?!?!?!!?
    You do know certain parts are of german design I know cause the parts guy at my local dealer told me.

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

you should here compressor. I just had to fix mine you can get the hole moudule compressor selenoid and dryer with pressure switch it was around 208

Quote Originally Posted by osure
    you should here compressor. I just had to fix mine you can get the hole moudule compressor selenoid and dryer with pressure switch it was around 208
    Yes you can hear the compressor kick on every time you start the truck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.