Howl sound at 20 ish and 40ish
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Howl sound at 20 ish and 40ish in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello - I have an 05 platinum. Recently I have had the front diff, transfer case and trans rebuilt. At ...
    mjwills is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Howl sound at 20 ish and 40ish

Hello - I have an 05 platinum. Recently I have had the front diff, transfer case and trans rebuilt. At 20/40 ish there is still a howl. Drop it in neutral it goes away. Sounds like extreme tire road noise.

I really don't think it's anything with the rebuild (under warranty if it is).

The shop checked wheel bearings and they seemed fine. Could they still be bad?

Could u joints cause this?

Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwills
    Hello - I have an 05 platinum. Recently I have had the front diff, transfer case and trans rebuilt. At 20/40 ish there is still a howl. Drop it in neutral it goes away. Sounds like extreme tire road noise.

Any other ideas?
    Sounds like something with tranny or transfer case considering the noise goes away when in neutral.

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Re: Howl sound at 20 ish and 40ish

Quote Originally Posted by mjwills View Post

Any other ideas?
    If you dont mind me asking how much did they charge you to do the front diff, transfer case, and transmission done?

gottaride68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV, Black

I'd start with the u-joints....

@William01 - $3k and that included upgraded trans parts for towing.

@gottaride68 - I was told to check the u joints and they too would stop making the noise when disengaged from drive. These noise issues are very hard to diagnose as most require a load. Can you explain to me why you are saying the u joints? (I am not a mechanic by any means).

Could the offset of the gears be off in the front diff?

Any other thoughts on this topic?

@William01 - $3k and that included upgraded trans parts for towing.

@gottaride68 - I was told to check the u joints and they too would stop making the noise when disengaged from drive. These noise issues are very hard to diagnose as most require a load. Can you explain to me why you are saying the u joints? (I am not a mechanic by any means).

Could the offset of the gears be off in the front diff?
    The u joints are what hold the driveshafts to the transfer case and differentials,
    You will also have wheel bearings in the front that can cause a roaring noise about like a helicopter is above you I know from experience and it almost drove me nuts cause i didn't have much time to fix it on my previous car thankfully I got it changed in time to keep my sanity.

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

Was there a noise before you replaced diff? If not then I would bring it back to them offset will make that noise also.

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

also is there a vibration at 20/40

Quote Originally Posted by osure
    also is there a vibration at 20/40
    It could be the wheel bearing I know cause my previous car did this and it was one of the wheel bearings bad.

I feel a slight vibration in the foot area on the floor. Minimal in the steering wheel. I just pulled my TT with it and it pulls beautiful but that howl drives me nuts. There was a noise coming from the front diff before - carrier bearing ~ that's how I got started with all this

I did have a wheel bearing replaced previously and it was a different noise then this, but not all failures will sound the same.

I feel a slight vibration in the foot area on the floor. Minimal in the steering wheel. I just pulled my TT with it and it pulls beautiful but that howl drives me nuts. There was a noise coming from the front diff before - carrier bearing ~ that's how I got started with all this

I did have a wheel bearing replaced previously and it was a different noise then this, but not all failures will sound the same.
    The slight vibration can be caused by a wheel bearing I know as I had one fail on my previous car like to went nuts before I got it fixed and it was the passenger side but I could feel it on the driver's side floorboard.
    P.s you won't it in the wheel if it is a wheel bearing.

I stopped at the shop that did the work and they hear and feel it. Next week they are going to put a Timken wheel bearing on there and see if that works (at no cost if that doesn't work). If that's not it they are getting back into the front diff. I'll keep you posted.

TLMC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade 1969 ss396 chevelle 1967 GTO

Did you check the rear diff?

Fixed. Pitted race on one of the pinion bearings. Another rebuild of the front diff under warranty.

Side note - also needed a new driver wheel bearing. The rotor was seized to the bearing and the rotor was cracked. Added to issues, but main issue was resolved with diff rebuild.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.