Engine won't start...once every 2 months???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Engine won't start...once every 2 months??? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade, and about once every two months, the engine cranks over and then turns off ...
    NJLivingston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Engine won't start...once every 2 months???

I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade, and about once every two months, the engine cranks over and then turns off immediately.... At the same time, the power locks, windows, radio, etc. all stop working as well. 1st time, dealer could find nothing wrong, said they charged battery and it was fine for 6 weeks. Second time, they tore out an aftermarket viper alarm system, and charged me $700 for labor and 2 new keys. Now, two months later, it happened again!!! (Obviously it wasn't the alarm!) My husband disconnected the battery negative cable and connected his battery (negative cable) and it started right up and has been working for a few days. Dropped it off at the dealer and they are once again looking into it...but don't seem to have a clue...any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by NJLivingston
    I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade, and about once every two months, the engine cranks over and then turns off immediately.... At the same time, the power locks, windows, radio, etc. all stop working as well. 1st time, dealer could find nothing wrong, said they charged battery and it was fine for 6 weeks. Second time, they tore out an aftermarket viper alarm system, and charged me $700 for labor and 2 new keys. Now, two months later, it happened again!!! (Obviously it wasn't the alarm!) My husband disconnected the battery negative cable and connected his battery (negative cable) and it started right up and has been working for a few days. Dropped it off at the dealer and they are once again looking into it...but don't seem to have a clue...any ideas?
    It sounds like a wire is loose or the truck body module has got shorted cause the locks windows ,radio along a few other options are worked by it given how it acting up (ps do you still have the aftermarket alarm or not?)

NJLivingston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Re: Engine won't start...once every 2 months???

No, I did not get the alarm after it was removed as it was assumed it was not working properly...I now realize that was probably silly on my part...are you referring to a loose grounding strap?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by NJLivingston
    No, I did not get the alarm after it was removed as it was assumed it was not working properly...I now realize that was probably silly on my part...are you referring to a loose grounding strap?
    Check all of the wiring at the truck body controller under your dash on the driver's side if there is any bare wires exposed it will and can short out and cause some really crazy crap to happen which could have been unrelated to the alarm(this is the most likely place a alarm is tapped into because it has most of the needed wiring close)if you see any bare wires tape them up one by one to see if it helps,
    Now if you don't see any bare wires then something has messed up the truck body controller due to a wire or internal short the later means the tbc module will need replacing.
    P.s it was silly to let the dealer keep the alarm because whoever got it out can just resale it and make a profit on something that might not have been your problem in the first place,
    Unless it is needed to be turned in for a core charge the dealer shouldn't have kept the alarm because it wasn't a dealer sourced part I know because I had to have my PCM replaced and they had to keep the old one but a aftermarket alarm is not a dealer sourced part.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.