What to look for in 2k Escalade?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, What to look for in 2k Escalade? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey everybody. Well its true what they say about Cadillacs, once you own one you keep coming back to one. ...
    Pun90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

Question What to look for in 2k Escalade?

Hey everybody. Well its true what they say about Cadillacs, once you own one you keep coming back to one. I owned a 97 Deville that gave me the best and worse times of my life but i still loved it! I purchased a '95 Impala SS a few months after i sold it and just sold it about a month ago to get a '96 but...

I came across a 2000 Cadillac Escalade with about 100,000 miles. From what I have researched they are prone to electrical problems? I will be checking it out hopefully next weekend. Other than basic things I would have to check in a used automobile... what should i look for? Any common problems they have? Easy fixes expensive fixes?

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stresst is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: What to look for in 2k Escalade?

Prone to electrical problems? Not me! Everything else but........fuel pumps every few years, lower intake manifold gaskets, terrible braking due to the rear drums. Should I go on?

How much would i be expecting to pay for the manifold gasket fix? I did hear about the bad braking also and fuel pumps don't really worry me unless i get stranded in the middle of no where. Yes please go on I would like to learn everythingggg to way out my options.

All kidding aside go buy a 2002 or newer Escalade or if you need to be in on the same line budget wise as the 2000 Escalade then go buy a 98-02 Navigator! I will guarantee you will be happier!

I had a 99 Navigator years ago and it was more reliable, had better handling, more mpg, 100% better braking, and much faster then my 00 Escalade AND my Navigator had nearly double the miles!

I did take a look at the navigators before and i liked the body style of the Escalade better. If I had the money to spend on a newer Escalade I would probably end up getting the Impala SS I wanted. For now I was looking into this Escalade to get me thru the winter and spring of next year. That 4x4 would come in handy in Chicago.

----------

Don't they have the same under the hood machinery as a 99-2000 tahoe? What would be interchangeable?

Pretty much the entire truck is interchangeable with any 96-99 Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban.

If you dead set on an Escalade do you want to buy my 2000? 133k, Bose, On-Star, trailer package, rear a/c, am/fm cd with factory console mounted cd changer, new Bridgestone Revo AT2 tires (less then 10K miles on them), Bosch battery less then 1 year old, rear brakes pads and cylinders done the same day as the tires, new radiator, belt, fuel pump was replaced last summer, the entire a/c system replaced last summer including compressor, condensor, rear evaporator, rear expansion valve, all lines, accumulator and orifice the only thing not replaced was the front evaporator. Muffler and tailpipe are about 2 years old, pil changes done every 3-4000 miles, few tie rod ends, few ball joints, idler and pitman arm, wheel alignment. The list goes on and on.

Except for when the 1st fuel pump went bad its never left us stranded and this truck has been in my family for something like 9 years! All in all I spent probably 7k in the last 3 years on the upkeep.

Do you have any pictures? And where are you located? But $7k in the last 3 years?? Why not just keep it now that you fixed it?

I cannot upload my pics, anyway they are pretty shitty as I used my phone to take them. Have an email that I can send them to? And I will try and get you better pics tomorrow......I am in Middle Village NY which is probably an issue unless you want to take a road trip! lol

Ohhhh NY is mighty far from Chicago... well for me it is. I would still like to see it anyways maybe it will give me some ideas on how to fix mine up if i end up getting it. If you upload them to a photo hosting site like photobucket.com and just post the direct link we can probably view them. Im not sure how to send you a private message with my email.

Anyone else have some advise?

mitch2264 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Platinum

From my experience with a 99 Suburban (same generation) and my 97 Sierra truck all with 5.7 liter Vortec (350 CI) engine, 4L60E transmission they are pretty decent. The model you are looing at would be "basically" the same 96-99 design. My personal opinion is the trucks seem to be made better than the SUVs--just my opinion--that and fifty cent you can buy a soda . One with 100,000 miles on it like you are looking at has surely already had the intake manifold gasket replaced. The only thing is it may have been replaced with another GM part and you "may" be looking at having that done again. Last time I had it done, I think it was around 500.00. If you are handy, there is all sorts of info on the net on how to fix this yourself. Now, the big question is when it leaked did it leak into the engine or outside of the engine. If the leak was internal you have no way of knowing how long it leaked and may have done damage. That said, if the rig has 100,000 miles on the clock and seems to be running okay, it "may" be okay. Google "Vortec 5.7 liter manifold gaskets" or words of that effect and you should see tons of info.

The transmission is another area that could cause you grief--my Suburban transmission went out at 60,000 miles---this was a dealer maintained transmission that never towed anything. I had it replaced at the Chevy dealer with a GM Goodwrench unit and the replacement unit went out at 68,000 miles--it was fixed under warranty though. That said, the truck has been fine (knock on wood). This was about $2100.00 at the time.

Fuel pump--yep these tend to crap out anywhere between 75,000 and up. I just had to replace my truck's fuel pump three weeks ago--my truck has 132,000 miles on it so I did okay. If this one has not been replaced it may be on borrowed time. If you have to replace it go with either a Delphi or GM pump--they cost more, but I have not heard of much issue with these. The pumps run around 200.00--I think. You have to drop the tank to get to it--so the labor can add up quickly if you have a shop do it. I have always pretended that 1/2 tank of gas was Empty so when the fuel gauge gets to 1/2 tank, I will go ahead and fill up. As was explained to me by a mechanic friend, these pumps run HOT and the gasoline actually cools the pump, so when the tank level gets down and the fuel is not surrounding the pump, keeping it cool, the heat can contribute to premature death. Honestly, I think most manufacturers use the pump in the tank now with modern engines with fuel injection and they go out too and require the tank to be dropped--so not jsut a GM "problem"--just wish there was an access hole or something above the tank--sure would make things easier. Of course on a truck some folks remove the bed to access the pump.

The a/c system is another area of concern-not sure if a 2000 would have the "new and improved" compressor design or not. Basically the HT6 compressors are prone to leaking and it only gets worse over time. Most places just replace the compressor, others have had good results rebuilding the compressor. The way I understand the issue, the case of the compressor is in four pieces, with an O-rings between each section. Over time with the stress of running and engine movement, etc the compressor starts leaking between these sections from the O-rings. Supposedly replacement compressors have been updated to a newer design to prevent this. Google "HT6 belly leaker" and you should see what I am talking about. I had to replace the one on my truck two summers ago. The control head on these HVAC system can act flakey too--everyone I have owned has had issue---nothing major.

Now for the good--the 350 is tried and true! The parts for this generation are cheap compared to others. For example, price a compressor for this rig and compare it to the next generation or a competitor. You see these trucks everyday with 200,000+ miles on them. A buddy of mine at work has a 98 Suburban and has had zero issue with his--other than intake manifold gasket. BTW, I have not heard of any electrical issues as you mentioned. Oh, check the fluids--hopefuly it has been maintained--get that Dexcool coolant changed ASAP if you are not sure! It will last 100,000 miles OR (key word) 5 years. From what I understand, this stuff will turn acidic over time and start doing bad things. Again, Google Dexcool and you will see what I am talking about. There is a lot of controversy over this stuff, personally it does not bother me---plus all the other car manufacturers seemed to have moved to this similar formulation of coolant.

If the rig looks good and the price is right...just look it over real good---maybe have a mechanic evaluate it.

Again--everything I have typed is my personal experience and based on what I have researched. Just do your homework!

Good luck!!
    Mitch

Hey Mitch thank you for all the information. Great timing also. I was close into going to see an '02 tonight. Being that the fixes would be cheaper on a 2000 though, I think I will stick with a 2000. I sure could use an extra soda in the house or oz of gas in the tank. Biggest worry would be the transmission - hopefully it wasn't abused. The manifold gasket price doesn't seem as outrageous but I also am hoping that it already had it fixed right and will be checking for the tiniest leak. The electrical issues I heard about had to do with the HVAC. The vents supposedly would be stuck somehow and not let the air blow to the desired area. Thank you again for the help!

mitch2264 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade Platinum

If it were me--I would probably look at the 02 if it is in the same ball park price wise! I do like the 02-06 much better personally! You could not get a facotry sunroof on the old ones--you can with the newer ones. The A/C seems better on the newer ones too. I guess you won't know until you see it though what kind of shape it's in. I honestly think the gas mileage would be about the same-if the 02 has the 6.0 liter, a little worse. Just do your homeowrk! I am curious what you wind up with

Good luck!!

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    I think the 03 and up is best. considering they have hid's on the low beams

The guy with the '02 has 150,000 miles on it wants $1000 more than the 2000 with 100,000 miles. I have a feeling there is something wrong with it. I really cant compare the price with more '02s in the area. They have either had engine or transmission work or both. Here's one i was contemplating but rather not risk it. Has a new grill and was painted so I am thinking it also might've been in an accident.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/3036380369.html

I'm going to try and check out the 2000 first since its cheaper and less miles. If neither work out I will just get my dream car again this lady is selling for cheap.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/3061563264.html

----------

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I think the 03 and up is best. considering they have hid's on the low beams
    The '03s are out of my price range at the moment. They are going for at least 11.5k in my area. Plus the "minor work" they need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.