Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Computer Code Reader Purchase

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a computer code reader. I need info on the different makes and models available and opinions on those that members have tried. It will be for owner use not professionally. Any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
I have an autoxray ez scan 6000 unit, pretty good overall. Cust service and updates suck though. For $300+ it should be alot better. It does interface with PC (not win 7). Has alot of good functions, real time monitoring, can get battery checker. Easy to use. I got a hell of a deal off ebay many years ago, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

#5 ·
I see that some of you hve the Autoxray and Actron. Has anyone had any experience with the Innova brand that Pep Boys sells? They have several models. I was considering the one for $180.00. Sounds like it does it all plus you can hook it up to your computer and their website will tell you the most likely fixes for the codes found. They also give you access to an ASE Tech. through email or phone. Sounds like a great deal but is it?

#6 ·
gunns said:
I see that some of you hve the Autoxray and Actron. Has anyone had any experience with the Innova brand that Pep Boys sells? They have several models. I was considering the one for $180.00. Sounds like it does it all plus you can hook it up to your computer and their website will tell you the most likely fixes for the codes found. They also give you access to an ASE Tech. through email or phone. Sounds like a great deal but is it?
I got my actron at auto zone it was 240.00 but it is worth it and I can also connect it to my computer to update it if needed plus it gives what the codes mean and are for on screen and on the computer.

#7 ·
It depends on how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are. Most of the scanners out there are just scanners, not bi-directional, won't read anything but PCM (no body, brake, transfer case, etc module) codes.

I have 4 GM vehicles, had 5 until the beginning of this year so to have that many vehicles I need to be able to work on them myself. I bought a Tech II a few years ago for $2000 straight out of refubishment off of eBay. It sounds like a lot but considering that each time you go to the dealership they'll charge you $100 or so just to hook it up, for me it was easy to justify. Between troubleshooting problems and adding options I've hooked it up probably 50 times in the last 3+ years.

It works great for what I need. I interface with the body computer to add things like factory nav to vehicles that didn't come with it, I've been able to do the required computer sensor relearns when adding tuned PCMs, etc.

This weekend I need to troubleshoot an airbag light, the Tech II will allow me to interface with the SIR module to see what's going on. A regular code reader won't do that.

#8 ·
wake said:
It depends on how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are. Most of the scanners out there are just scanners, not bi-directional, won't read anything but PCM (no body, brake, transfer case, etc module) codes.

I have 4 GM vehicles, had 5 until the beginning of this year so to have that many vehicles I need to be able to work on them myself. I bought a Tech II a few years ago for $2000 straight out of refubishment off of eBay. It sounds like a lot but considering that each time you go to the dealership they'll charge you $100 or so just to hook it up, for me it was easy to justify. Between troubleshooting problems and adding options I've hooked it up probably 50 times in the last 3+ years.

It works great for what I need. I interface with the body computer to add things like factory nav to vehicles that didn't come with it, I've been able to do the required computer sensor relearns when adding tuned PCMs, etc.

This weekend I need to troubleshoot an airbag light, the Tech II will allow me to interface with the SIR module to see what's going on. A regular code reader won't do that.
I see the point in that but can it be used on other brands of cars besides the gm brands.

#11 ·
wake said:
Very limited and you'd need the software. I belive it's only brands that GM has partnered with in the past Isuzu, SAAB, etc. No Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc.
Then it won't be useful on the van my mom has which is a chrysler and is one reason I ain't getting one anytime soon, also the tech-2 won't always work if you have a PCM failure due to internal short I know it has happened to me here lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.