Computer Code Reader Purchase
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Computer Code Reader Purchase in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I'm in the market for a computer code reader. I need info on the different makes and models available and ...
  1. #1
    gunns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    50

    Computer Code Reader Purchase

    I'm in the market for a computer code reader. I need info on the different makes and models available and opinions on those that members have tried. It will be for owner use not professionally. Any help is appreciated!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    rodnok01's Avatar
    rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,909

    Re: Computer Code Reader Purchase

    I have an autoxray ez scan 6000 unit, pretty good overall. Cust service and updates suck though. For $300+ it should be alot better. It does interface with PC (not win 7). Has alot of good functions, real time monitoring, can get battery checker. Easy to use. I got a hell of a deal off ebay many years ago, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

  4. #3
    Trulytex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldo Convertible, 1987 Allante, 2004 Black Escalade
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Okeechobee & Vero Beach, Fla
    Age
    50
    Posts
    326

    Re: Computer Code Reader Purchase

    I have an Actron. Have had it for 6 years. I hade to get the OBD I cable extra to read the codes in my 1990 Corvette. Works well and clears codes.

  5. #4
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    6,740
    I have actron model cp9580 auto scanner plus and I love how it is able to get real time data from sensors on the engine along with getting the codes from both the PCM and abs controller great unit and i highly recommend it.

  6. #5
    gunns is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    50

    Re: Computer Code Reader Purchase

    I see that some of you hve the Autoxray and Actron. Has anyone had any experience with the Innova brand that Pep Boys sells? They have several models. I was considering the one for $180.00. Sounds like it does it all plus you can hook it up to your computer and their website will tell you the most likely fixes for the codes found. They also give you access to an ASE Tech. through email or phone. Sounds like a great deal but is it?

  7. #6
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by gunns
    I see that some of you hve the Autoxray and Actron. Has anyone had any experience with the Innova brand that Pep Boys sells? They have several models. I was considering the one for $180.00. Sounds like it does it all plus you can hook it up to your computer and their website will tell you the most likely fixes for the codes found. They also give you access to an ASE Tech. through email or phone. Sounds like a great deal but is it?
    I got my actron at auto zone it was 240.00 but it is worth it and I can also connect it to my computer to update it if needed plus it gives what the codes mean and are for on screen and on the computer.

  8. #7
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    500

    Re: Computer Code Reader Purchase

    It depends on how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are. Most of the scanners out there are just scanners, not bi-directional, won't read anything but PCM (no body, brake, transfer case, etc module) codes.

    I have 4 GM vehicles, had 5 until the beginning of this year so to have that many vehicles I need to be able to work on them myself. I bought a Tech II a few years ago for $2000 straight out of refubishment off of eBay. It sounds like a lot but considering that each time you go to the dealership they'll charge you $100 or so just to hook it up, for me it was easy to justify. Between troubleshooting problems and adding options I've hooked it up probably 50 times in the last 3+ years.

    It works great for what I need. I interface with the body computer to add things like factory nav to vehicles that didn't come with it, I've been able to do the required computer sensor relearns when adding tuned PCMs, etc.

    This weekend I need to troubleshoot an airbag light, the Tech II will allow me to interface with the SIR module to see what's going on. A regular code reader won't do that.

  9. #8
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by wake
    It depends on how much of a do-it-yourselfer you are. Most of the scanners out there are just scanners, not bi-directional, won't read anything but PCM (no body, brake, transfer case, etc module) codes.

    I have 4 GM vehicles, had 5 until the beginning of this year so to have that many vehicles I need to be able to work on them myself. I bought a Tech II a few years ago for $2000 straight out of refubishment off of eBay. It sounds like a lot but considering that each time you go to the dealership they'll charge you $100 or so just to hook it up, for me it was easy to justify. Between troubleshooting problems and adding options I've hooked it up probably 50 times in the last 3+ years.

    It works great for what I need. I interface with the body computer to add things like factory nav to vehicles that didn't come with it, I've been able to do the required computer sensor relearns when adding tuned PCMs, etc.

    This weekend I need to troubleshoot an airbag light, the Tech II will allow me to interface with the SIR module to see what's going on. A regular code reader won't do that.
    I see the point in that but can it be used on other brands of cars besides the gm brands.

  10. #9
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    18,688
    No, GM only.

  11. #10
    wake's Avatar
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    500

    Re: Computer Code Reader Purchase

    Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I see the point in that but can it be used on other brands of cars besides the gm brands.
    Very limited and you'd need the software. I belive it's only brands that GM has partnered with in the past Isuzu, SAAB, etc. No Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc.

  12. #11
    the cadillac man's Avatar
    the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    speedwell tn,
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by wake

    Very limited and you'd need the software. I belive it's only brands that GM has partnered with in the past Isuzu, SAAB, etc. No Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc.
    Then it won't be useful on the van my mom has which is a chrysler and is one reason I ain't getting one anytime soon, also the tech-2 won't always work if you have a PCM failure due to internal short I know it has happened to me here lately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting