Undercoating On The Vehicle Frame From The Factory?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Undercoating On The Vehicle Frame From The Factory? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I was underneath the vehicle today to swap out the spare tire with a new factory chrome wheel and proper ...
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Undercoating On The Vehicle Frame From The Factory?

I was underneath the vehicle today to swap out the spare tire with a new factory chrome wheel and proper size tire (why did GM put a 16" spare underneath?), when I noticed what appears to be undercoating that was peeling away from the frame in certain spots and rust starting to form. I'm sure it's not just paint as it's kinda squishy/soft to the touch. The 05 I own was purchased early this year and spent it's first 3 years of life in NY, so it is a genuine east coast car.

I'm relatively new to the east coast, having spent most of my life in the southwest where we don't get snow or salt on the roads so I'm not used to seeing the rust underneath.

I ended up getting a can of spray on undercoat and taking a wire brush to the rust spots before spraying them to cover the metal back up before I put the spare back up. I also went around the front and sides and did the same to the other rusty spots I see forming on the frame.

Since it's a soft rubbery coating, I'm contemplating hitting all the suspension bolts with this stuff as well. I bought a used Trailblazer after moving here in 06 and last year when I went to change out the shocks it was a nightmare. I ended up cutting off the shock post on one side because the bolt had rusted almost to the point of disintigration. I'm thinking hitting the suspension bolts of the other vehicles might be a good idea since this stuff seems soft enough that the bolts would just take off the coating someday when I do need to do some suspension work.

Anyway, I guess my question is did the factory put an undercoating on the frame? I don't think it was done aftermarket as the body (floorpan, etc) doesn't have a trace of it anywhere from spraying, only the steel frame.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Re: Undercoating On The Vehicle Frame From The Factory?

it may be a dealer only thing as my 03 don't a undercoating and luckily it has been babied so i ain't got no rust thank goodness.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Yeah, I'm still getting used to deaing with east coast vehicles.

I love living here compared to out west, I just hate working underneath my vehicles now. Two of my vehicles haven't ever seen snow/salt and I plan to keep it that way, neither one wuold fare very well in an accidnt on a snowy/icy day. As far as the winter beater and the Escalade, they've already seen snow/salt so they'll continue. I guess I'll just undercoat the rest of the underside bolts and hit the spots on the frame I find from time to time that are developing rust.

I didn't think the factory undercoated vehicles, but it's such a clean, neat application I'd be very surprised if this was done aftermarket.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

Quote Originally Posted by wake View Post
    Yeah, I'm still getting used to deaing with east coast vehicles.

I love living here compared to out west, I just hate working underneath my vehicles now. Two of my vehicles haven't ever seen snow/salt and I plan to keep it that way, neither one wuold fare very well in an accidnt on a snowy/icy day. As far as the winter beater and the Escalade, they've already seen snow/salt so they'll continue. I guess I'll just undercoat the rest of the underside bolts and hit the spots on the frame I find from time to time that are developing rust.

I didn't think the factory undercoated vehicles, but it's such a clean, neat application I'd be very surprised if this was done aftermarket.
    could have been a dealer add on since they can get a shop to do stuff like this it kinda makes me wish mine was undercoated since i have to drive in snow in the winter due to mine being all wheel drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.