Bose Premium Amp vs. Bose Lux (Y91) Amp
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Bose Premium Amp vs. Bose Lux (Y91) Amp in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi all. Just wondering how much better the Lux amp is compared to the premium amp as far as sound ...
    cashmereDTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac DTS, 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Bose Premium Amp vs. Bose Lux (Y91) Amp

Hi all.

Just wondering how much better the Lux amp is compared to the premium amp as far as sound quality is concerned?

I'm thinking of switching out my factory, joystick nav unit in my 04 escalade for a 05 or 06 touchscreen unit.

Just wondering if it's worth the trouble and money to get a lux amp and touchscreen or just leave the premium (non lux) amp and get a premium (non lux) touchscreen?

Thoughts, ideas?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    The differences is in the size and power ratings the premium amp is basically a dumb amp so the radio controls volume, fader etc etc,

The lux amp which all of our trucks have has a better power rating and is a bit bigger then the premium amp plus the benefits of the lux amp are cleaner clearer sound with more power to all speakers and sub.

Also the amp controls the volume, fader along with the tone controls the radio just sends a preamp signal to the amp which is a two channel signal the amp creates the rear channels for the doors and tweeters
    So there is a big difference in the radios and amps
    And it goes like this non-lux radio with the premium amp
    Lux radio with the lux amp and the two radios and amps are not interchangeable due the internal differences in the hardware and software.

Re: Bose Premium Amp vs. Bose Lux (Y91) Amp

Thanks cadillac man.

Your explaination is just what I was looking for. But, i'm not convinced that all escalades have the lux amp. I say this because my escalade has the bose speakers but does not have the Y91 option on the vehicles build sheet which leads me to believe that I have the premium (dumb) amp.

Quote Originally Posted by cashmereDTS
    Thanks cadillac man.

Your explaination is just what I was looking for. But, i'm not convinced that all escalades have the lux amp. I say this because my escalade has the bose speakers but does not have the Y91 option on the vehicles build sheet which leads me to believe that I have the premium (dumb) amp.
    What year is you escalade?
    I know mine has it and it is a 03 I also know there is a different rpo code for the Bose speaker package which is on all escalades but I have forgot the code.

Mine is a 04. I read a thread yesterday where a guy by the name of the flyingdutchman, had some good information on the three different stereo options that gm had during those years. From what I understood, it was possible for an escalade to have bose speakers and the premium amp or the lux amp. The Y91 is what differentiates the premium vs the lux.

Basically, I was asking if the lux sounded that much better than the premium. (In other words, is it worth it to take the centre console apart to switch out a premium amp for a lux amp, knowing full well that there is some altering of wiring involved.) Like I had said earlier, I'm leaning towards getting a factory touchcsreen unit to replace my joystick factory unit.

From your description and comments, it seems that the lux is a noticable upgrade over the premium and I thank you for expressing your thoughts.

I guess the other way to go is aftermarket like a nice Kenwood unit which uses Garmin as its navigation software. The nice thing about those units is that you don't need nav discs any more because you could use a SD card to update the software BUT, now we're talking about a thousand plus and lots of adaptors to make sure the wheel controls still work.

A couple hundred and "plug and play" sounds better to me at the moment.

I hate to break it to you but the wiring harnesses are different between the amps and radios also if your truck really has the dumb amp then you might be able to get a amp interface that will allow you to remove the Bose amp altogether

Removing the center console is a big pain i know from experience I had mine out to do the upgrade on my speakers and sub and I was wore out by the time I was done although the work was worth it since I now have a better 8 inch sub under there now to go with my infinity speakers.

Thanks for the heads up on the harness cadillac man. I figured the harnesses at the amp would be different. I'm hoping the harness at the head unit will be plug and play. I guess I have some more reading to do.

do a google search i have seen some info on a few other forums one even had the amp rms and peak power ratings for all speakers including the sub which i think is receiving about 120 rms over both channels with a lux amp but the only way to get better audio qulaty is use a aftermarket amp between your stock amp and your speakers(one plus to this is you have more power to your speakers)but the setup and installing the amp so it is out of the way is a bit tricky(one reasion i put my new sub under the center console and ran my infinity speakers off of the stock amp) which must have more power then i thought cause they are a bit louder then the bose speakersodd but true and i love the new tight low end of my sub with clear mid's and high's i am in audio bliss

OK. I just came across a very, very helpful thread in another forum. The dude who put this together did a very good job of putting all of the information together from various sites in a logical, well explained order. No more jumping around from other forums and threads for part numbers, diagrams, and related information. I tip my hat to everyone out there on various forums who has contributed to this topic over the years but, the guy who put this together in a fairly short thread did an awsome job, not to mention, he did this back in January of 2012, so it's fairly recent. Here's the site http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...mt800s-496180/

----------

I just found another helpful site that tells the owner of almost any vehicle what RPO's came with their vehicle and what the 3 character code stands for.
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php After I typed in my VIN, it told me every option my escalade came with. Low and behold, my escalade HAS the lux amp because the infamous Y91 showed up on the list of RPO's for my vehicle. What threw me off all this time was that some RPO descriptions were not present beside the 3 character RPO on the build sheet I had the dealer print out for me. (Y91 is one of them that doesn't have a description beside it). I then assumed that if there wasn't a description beside the code, I didn't have that RPO. An hour ago, I checked the sticker in the glove box and Y91 was there in the list along with all of the other RPO's that don't have a description beside them from my build sheet. Twenty minutes ago, I came across the above site that confirmed I have the Y91 lux amp. So, I guess I'm just looking for a TNR (Lux) nav unit lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cashmereDTS
    OK. I just came across a very, very helpful thread in another forum. The dude who put this together did a very good job of putting all of the information together from various sites in a logical, well explained order. No more jumping around from other forums and threads for part numbers, diagrams, and related information. I tip my hat to everyone out there on various forums who has contributed to this topic over the years but, the guy who put this together in a fairly short thread did an awsome job, not to mention, he did this back in January of 2012, so it's fairly recent. Here's the site http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...mt800s-496180/

----------

I just found another helpful site that tells the owner of almost any vehicle what RPO's came with their vehicle and what the 3 character code stands for.
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php After I typed in my VIN, it told me every option my escalade came with. Low and behold, my escalade HAS the lux amp because the infamous Y91 showed up on the list of RPO's for my vehicle. What threw me off all this time was that some RPO descriptions were not present beside the 3 character RPO on the build sheet I had the dealer print out for me. (Y91 is one of them that doesn't have a description beside it). I then assumed that if there wasn't a description beside the code, I didn't have that RPO. An hour ago, I checked the sticker in the glove box and Y91 was there in the list along with all of the other RPO's that don't have a description beside them from my build sheet. Twenty minutes ago, I came across the above site that confirmed I have the Y91 lux amp. So, I guess I'm just looking for a TNR (Lux) nav unit lol.
    That is where I got some of the info I told you in my other posts and I agree it is a great source of info of the Bose amp and speaker system and like I said earlier all escalades have the lux system regardless of the year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.