gas smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, gas smell in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i ha ve an '04 escalde with 65k miles on it. car rides good and gets decent gas ilage. over ...
    phattruk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

gas smell

i ha ve an '04 escalde with 65k miles on it. car rides good and gets decent gas ilage. over the last few weeks i've been noticing a strong gas smell when i park the truck and get out. smell is strongest on the passenger side. i can't pin point where but strongest is usually around the left side passenger door. i don't gave any codes and the gas cap is on as tight as it will go. also i park on concrete (flat surface) and have not seen any wet spots anywhere. haas anyone had this issue. it's driving me crazy. gas costs as much as gold in new york and i can't afford that..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: gas smell

Look and see if there is a recall or TSB for fuel leaks where the pump meets the tank.

I haven't owned mine long enough yet to become familiar with all the common problems yet, but it was a big problem on my last SUV, a Trailblazer for a few years. It was a pretty common problem for vehicles in areas where salt is used in the winter and caused the mating area to rust out and leak. I seem to remember the problem was also present on full size GM trucks/SUVs as well.

Might be a good place to start.

thanks Wake. i've looked at all the connections, even placed pads underneath the area of the fuel system. no leaks anywhere, that i can see. My CEL is not on, but i scanned for codes anyway and came up with nothing. i'd hate to take it to the stealer. i'm still annoyed that my truck was 2 days past warranty and they wouldn't replace my navigation system (every once in a while i get disc error and need to turn truck off and on a few time to get it back). anything else i can look for?. i keep reading about the evap cannister or a purge valvle under the hood, but the smell is strongest on the drivers side passenger door. thanks

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade

fuel filter is under the driver side door unless i am wrong but the evap stuff is under the passenger side.

thanks. i just came in from checking and the fpr seems okay (no leaks of gas that i can see or smell) i did get under the truck while running and smelled gas faintly in the vicinity of the tank. i have 2 other trucks (p/u's), earlier year,s and the fuel filter is under the drivers side door. this truck i dont see one and from what i've read, the only filter is in the tank. i'll look on the passenger sde for the evap. appreciate the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by phattruk
    thanks. i just came in from checking and the fpr seems okay (no leaks of gas that i can see or smell) i did get under the truck while running and smelled gas faintly in the vicinity of the tank. i have 2 other trucks (p/u's), earlier year,s and the fuel filter is under the drivers side door. this truck i dont see one and from what i've read, the only filter is in the tank. i'll look on the passenger sde for the evap. appreciate the suggestions
    I guess they must have changed the filter location to in the tank
    Plus the evap should be under the right side.

i now have starting issues awhere the truck will take a few cranks before starting. the raw gas smell is stringer and i still dont see any signs of leaks or anything. i've even let the truck idle for 10 mins in hopes that the leak only occurs while the engine is actually running . my mpg says 13 - 16 but during a measurd trip i was getting a lot less than 13 mpg.. any hints or suggestions of what i can look for? i guess the next stop is the stealer within the next 3 days.. thanks

it sounds like the fuel pump is failing.

i know how you feel about the dealer cause i am wishing i didn't take mine in for pcm failure cause it is going on a week and i am still without my truck,

i checked on it friday and they had my dash tore apart just because they couldn't get the tech-2 to connect and believe me i was pissed when i had seen that they had done that.

i am hoping everything works when i get my truck back cause they had no need to tear into my dash when i explained to the service manger what it was doing and even gave him the code i had pulled from my code reader.

thanks cadillacman. i'll be looking for a new pump, and since the filter is in the tank, kill 2 birds with ne stone. hopefully you get your truck back working properly. i went thru the same type of thing with my stabilitrak constantly coming on. after 7 visits with all the sensors and electronics being replaced, a 1400.00 bill, the issue still remained. it would come on just while cruising trips. on the 8th visit the truck was fixed by some miracle. and i say that becasue they couldnt tell me what they did to it. the only good part is they waived a took a $1000.00 off the bill. i still wasn't happy since they never said what caused it, but always reluctant to visit these guys. if any one knows of a good independent int he white plains, ny area i would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by phattruk
    thanks cadillacman. i'll be looking for a new pump, and since the filter is in the tank, kill 2 birds with ne stone. hopefully you get your truck back working properly. i went thru the same type of thing with my stabilitrak constantly coming on. after 7 visits with all the sensors and electronics being replaced, a 1400.00 bill, the issue still remained. it would come on just while cruising trips. on the 8th visit the truck was fixed by some miracle. and i say that becasue they couldnt tell me what they did to it. the only good part is they waived a took a $1000.00 off the bill. i still wasn't happy since they never said what caused it, but always reluctant to visit these guys. if any one knows of a good independent int he white plains, ny area i would appreciate it.
    I got my truck back today and like I thought it needed a new PCM four days to fix one thing but they inspected the wiring to be sure there wasn't no short circuits anywhere so I am happy now

I hope you get your fuel pump fixed I guess my filter is in the tank also since I was checking my wiring Sunday and never seen a filter so idk when they changed it.

osure is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade
    Check regulator it sounds like it is not holding pressure

thats what i'm thinking. question: is fuel presseure regulator in the tank or on the engine block

Quote Originally Posted by phattruk View Post
    thats what i'm thinking. question: is fuel presseure regulator in the tank or on the engine block
    it is in the tank with the fuel pump most of the time it is built into the pump which is replaced by dropping the tank.
    fyi replace the filter also if there is one in the tank.

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Im having the same issues with my 2004 lade. But why are we getting the fuel smell? I dont mind changing my pump if thats the issue but the fuel smell has to be some thing else?

Quote Originally Posted by Je357
    Im having the same issues with my 2004 lade. But why are we getting the fuel smell? I dont mind changing my pump if thats the issue but the fuel smell has to be some thing else?
    There is a sensor on the pump plus a few hoses that can cause the fuel smell

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.