gas smell - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, gas smell in Cadillac Escalade Forums; So changing the pump should be my first step?...
    Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Re: gas smell

So changing the pump should be my first step?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Je357
    So changing the pump should be my first step?
    Should be but there is a sensor mounted on the pump and it can get damaged and cause the fuel smell

05esc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Hey guys....i also have an 05 and i had the same thing happen. What is most likely the problem is the metal fuel line coming out of the fuel tank. Its one of the only metal sections of fuel line. Only about 3 or 4 inches and then connects to a plastic line. That is probably rotted. and gas is pooling on top of the tank. Unfortunately the whole fuel pump assembly will have to be replaced. Its all one piece with pump, filter,float, pressure sensor, etc. Thats why it now takes a few cranks to start the engine. It will only get worse and start leaving puddles. I replaced mine myself - got one from the dealer....cost me around $500! Wasn't happy. Still wondering what they would have charged if i had them do it.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

First thing I replace when I begin smelling gasoline but do not detect any leaks is the fuel cap, especially if it is building an excessive amount of pressure. Cheap and easy.

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Really .......is that line visible. Or do i have to drop tank to inspect. I still havent fix this fuel smell issue.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 05esc View Post
    Hey guys....i also have an 05 and i had the same thing happen. What is most likely the problem is the metal fuel line coming out of the fuel tank. Its one of the only metal sections of fuel line. Only about 3 or 4 inches and then connects to a plastic line. That is probably rotted. and gas is pooling on top of the tank. Unfortunately the whole fuel pump assembly will have to be replaced. Its all one piece with pump, filter,float, pressure sensor, etc. Thats why it now takes a few cranks to start the engine. It will only get worse and start leaving puddles. I replaced mine myself - got one from the dealer....cost me around $500! Wasn't happy. Still wondering what they would have charged if i had them do it.
    Is this fuel line visible without dropping the tank? Also im getting no check engine light from this problem. So what do ya think. This fuel smell is annoying.

Donna Lennox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 2005

I am experiencing the same exact thing with my "05 escalade, however I smell it strongly on the rear driver side as well. It has gotten so bad I do not park the vehicle inside the garage. It has been so strong when entering the garage in the mornings that I thought if a spark would flash it might blow up. Have changed gas caps and had 2 mechanics look at it. Of course there was no odor when I got to them, however as soon as I returned home it was back and stronger. Have you been able to discover the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Lennox
    I am experiencing the same exact thing with my "05 escalade, however I smell it strongly on the rear driver side as well. It has gotten so bad I do not park the vehicle inside the garage. It has been so strong when entering the garage in the mornings that I thought if a spark would flash it might blow up. Have changed gas caps and had 2 mechanics look at it. Of course there was no odor when I got to them, however as soon as I returned home it was back and stronger. Have you been able to discover the problem?
    Crawl under there and see if you can see gas on the tank
    There is a sensor on top of the fuel pump that if broken will cause a strong gas smell(went through this same problem with my mom's 02)

Have the truck on a level surface and work the key a few times to see of there is a leak
    Or just park on a steep hill(the gas will do the rest)

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by phattruk View Post
    i'm still annoyed that my truck was 2 days past warranty and they wouldn't replace my navigation system (every once in a while i get disc error and need to turn truck off and on a few time to get it back)
    As far as this problem you are having, a new nav disc might fix it. I had the same problem out of the blue. Disc looked fine with no scratches (I never remove it from the head unit). The problem was driving me nuts so I tried a different nav disc and the problem stopped.

praelade is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Just for grins check your EVAP canister. I had the same smell, and when I looked at the EVAP canister, one of the plastic lines had snapped off...

Quote Originally Posted by praelade
    Just for grins check your EVAP canister. I had the same smell, and when I looked at the EVAP canister, one of the plastic lines had snapped off...
    Also had the same issue on my mom's 02 had a time with the line

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.