I'm an auto glass techician, Ask me ANYTHING!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, I'm an auto glass techician, Ask me ANYTHING! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone was having issues or had questions about their glass, or any glass ...
    SolidGoldCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Lowrider

I'm an auto glass techician, Ask me ANYTHING!

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone was having issues or had questions about their glass, or any glass related problems. I have 9 years experience in the business, and know the Escalades pretty well. Feel free to ask me any glass question!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: I'm an auto glass techician, Ask me ANYTHING!

Anything?

What's the induction dose of rocuronium bromide?

(rhetorical of course, I already know the answer)
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidGoldCaddy
    Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone was having issues or had questions about their glass, or any glass related problems. I have 9 years experience in the business, and know the Escalades pretty well. Feel free to ask me any glass question!
    How to fix a chipped windshield?
    my truck has a chip on the drivers side towards the top and I worry about it getting worse and spreading.

Good question...
    Basically the only correct way to repair a chip or a nick is to have it done by a professional. The syringe kits at the store contain the resin needed, but cannot pull a vacuum to evacuate the air and moisture from a chip. 99% of chips spread because of temperature and contamination. Don use super glue or nail polish either. Yuck. The company I work for offers a lifetime guarantee on any chip, and cracks up to 6" in length. Should the chip crack at any point AFTER the repair is complete, the total paid by the customer will be refunded as a credit toward a windshield or insurance deductible. I don't always agree with taking it in to a shop, but in this case, it's a no brainer. Plus, if you have full coverage, most insurance companies will waive your deductible to have a chip repaired. You can even have the tech come to your home or work and do it.

Good question...
    Basically the only correct way to repair a chip or a nick is to have it done by a professional. The syringe kits at the store contain the resin needed, but cannot pull a vacuum to evacuate the air and moisture from a chip. 99% of chips spread because of temperature and contamination. Don use super glue or nail polish either. Yuck. The company I work for offers a lifetime guarantee on any chip, and cracks up to 6" in length. Should the chip crack at any point AFTER the repair is complete, the total paid by the customer will be refunded as a credit toward a windshield or insurance deductible. I don't always agree with taking it in to a shop, but in this case, it's a no brainer. Plus, if you have full coverage, most insurance companies will waive your deductible to have a chip repaired. You can even have the tech come to your home or work and do it.
    That is good to know

I know this may sound strange but my truck still have the factory windshield but I don't of any glass replacement shop in my area except safelite I guess I spelled that right but I don't know if they will do both
    My truck and car at the same time cause both have chips in the windshield and although I did try a self repair kit on my truck I will never do it again cause I didn't get the results that it claimed .
    Ps how do I clean my windshield of the repair stuff?
    cause I now have a odd looking spot in the same place as the chip.

Safelite is who I work for. They should have no problem doing both vehicles at the same time. I do it every day. In regards to the prior repair attempt, I would do nothing. Explain to the technician what you did and hopefully he can remove most of the resin. Unfortunately once a repair is fixed, it becomes very difficult to repair it again because the resin seals off the break. Best thing to do with a chip when you do get one is put a piece of scotch tape over it on the outside. This keeps the chip free of moisture and debris, and also marks the chip for the technician, should you not be able to be there. Let me know how it goes!

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

The beauty trim on our 1993 eldorado is coming loose and rolling up.
    The rear is bad the front is starting.
    Do we have to pull the glass and start over to fix?

Yes. The correct way would be to R&I the glass, buy new moldings and install them all together. This is nice because you can properly seat the new moldings and make sure try lay like they should. I believe that model has a black rubber type moulding with a chrome reveal strip through it if I'm not mistaken.

Safelite is who I work for. They should have no problem doing both vehicles at the same time. I do it every day. In regards to the prior repair attempt, I would do nothing. Explain to the technician what you did and hopefully he can remove most of the resin. Unfortunately once a repair is fixed, it becomes very difficult to repair it again because the resin seals off the break. Best thing to do with a chip when you do get one is put a piece of scotch tape over it on the outside. This keeps the chip free of moisture and debris, and also marks the chip for the technician, should you not be able to be there. Let me know how it goes!
    Ok when I get to working on my other car again before I get done I will get the chip fixed before I start showing the car.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by SolidGoldCaddy View Post
    Yes. The correct way would be to R&I the glass, buy new moldings and install them all together. This is nice because you can properly seat the new moldings and make sure try lay like they should. I believe that model has a black rubber type moulding with a chrome reveal strip through it if I'm not mistaken.
    Yes the rear has a chrome strip the front is just black.

Thanks

i forgot to ask if i have someone come out to fix my truck's windshield can they do the one in my car i am restoring also at the same time or do i have to have them done at different times?

They will be able to do them at the same time. Just make sure they set up two work orders for the jobs. They have to be entered in separately.

Ok I will set them both up at the same time for the same day.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Can you clean up a windshield?

My windshield is getting a bit hard to see through driving into the sun due to age, mainly being pelted by normal things like sand and dirt over the years. Also, what is the typical cost of a replacement windshield on an Escalade? I expect it will vary by region but it shouldn't be that drastic.

I've had replaced a couple of windshields over the years and had a couple of bad experiences. The worst being the borders being too thin and being able to see the inside of the windshield pillars after the new glass was installed.

AirDoc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

What is a fair price for a replacement windshield for a 2003 Escalade?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.