Dealer says my front diff is done....need advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Dealer says my front diff is done....need advice! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; my 2002 Cadillac escalades front differential is going bad and i have a warrenty to cover repairs on the internals ...
    K7780446 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 escalade

Dealer says my front diff is done....need advice!

my 2002 Cadillac escalades front differential is going bad and i have a warrenty to cover repairs on the internals of it. But the dealership wants 750 to open up the differential and see whats wrong with it...they say they need to pull the diff and transfer case to see whats going on.

my warranty covers repairs and parts but not the labor of tear down... Ive seen people say online a front diff repair/rebuild ran them 1500 out the door...i feel like 750 just to look at it is kind of high...

any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sfv41901 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Either u can do the repairs ur self or fork over the $750.

The dealer won't authorize any warranty repairs unless "they" diagnose the problem. So in order for it to be covered under warranty, they need to diagnose the problem.

Its a catch 22

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Re: Dealer says my front diff is done....NEED ADvise!

750 just to look does sound kind of high....

I would say try to beat them down on the $750.

But in the end, have them do it...

You might take it to another Dealer.... Your warranty is good at any Cadillac Dealer? Any GM Dealer? See if they would do the "diagnosis" portion for less than $750...

But in the end, you need to have it done. Mine was done at 45,000 miles. Under warranty. $50 deductible. I was lucky. I just turned 100,000, and thankfully, so far so good. If you have the warranty though, I would lean towards letting them do it.

Really, the front diff going, sadly, is not uncommon. By rights, if you test drive it, and hear it whining, your 'diagnosis' is practically done, the rest is repair. So, I guess try and beat down the $750 number as far as you can.

Good luck.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: Dealer says my front diff is done....NEED ADvise!

Usually your warranty covers the teardown as part of the repair as long as what is being repaired was going to be disassembled anyway. I've never had a warranty tell me that I was responsible for the diagnostic charges when the repair was covered.

Now if they tear apart the differential and that turns out not to be the problem, then yes you'll be hit with the diagnostic charges.

Is you dealer telling you that the $750 to diagnose the differential is separate from the warranty repair even if the differential turns out to be the problem? You might want to have a talk with them to make sure you understood correctly. If that's the case, I'd find another dealership.

Re: Dealer says my front diff is done....need advice!

yes I did hear them say that no matter what the 750 will be out of my pocket.

But I will talk to other dealers and see what they say.

But what i really am trying to figure out is......is 750 a little high on price for just the tear down?? i dont see how the labor alone could cost this much

By tear down, do u mean:

1) removal of the diff
    2) removal & disassemble

If 1 then yes, that is to much.

If 2 then might be a lil high, but ud be amazed how fast the labor rate adds up.

they told me that they had to pull the diff and drop the transfer case...(is dropping the transfer case even needed?)

Not that I'm aware of......the front diff is connected to the transfer case via a drive shaft.

Disconnect the drive shaft & pull the diff.

Caddie Shak is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Hoop-D

Maybe they think there could be a bearing whining in the transfer case?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.